Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation
Default Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Toro

Im bored on work calls today so figure Ill post a couple reviews. I smoked this cigar about a week ago, it had around 2 years of humidor age on it. As with most RP cigars, presentation was great with a nice wrapper leaf and neat box press.

Tangentially, I have no idea why they call these Vintage 1992 anymore. According to most sources, when the cigar was first released, there wasnt any 1992 age tobacco to start with (in fact, there wasnt much of any tobacco anywhere during the cigar boom in the late 90s and early 00s. Warehouses were completely cleaned out). And certainly nowadays they arent using any 1992 tobacco. So why call it a Vintage 1992?

This was a pretty bad smoke overall, generally bitter coffee flavors with no distinguishing characteristics. Bitterness intensified at the 1/3 mark to the point where smoking it wasnt enjoyable anymore. I dont recommend these for the money, there are far better smokes out there for less cash outlay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP92.jpg (91.9 KB, 201 views)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Toro

This surprises me. I'm a big fan of RP 92's. Wonder if you just got a bad one or something went bad while aging it. I have never had a bad smoke with one of these. But hey, to each his own!
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
This surprises me. I'm a big fan of RP 92's. Wonder if you just got a bad one or something went bad while aging it. I have never had a bad smoke with one of these. But hey, to each his own!
Whats odd Pete is that when they were first released the flavor profile was better to me. Maybe these just dont age well? I think that may have been my last one so I dont have anything else to compare them with at this point...
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Sometimes you just never know how the profile will change. The RP's have been some of the most consistent smokes for myself, but like I said, everyone has different tastes.