Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Chase
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
Twotacotuesday is on a distinguished road
Default Aging aged cigars

Is there any benefit to aging a cigar such as a Fuente Anejo? I know a good six months does most sticks some good, but the anejo has already aged 5 plus years. Thoughts?
Twotacotuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Aging aged cigars

I believe it's just the wrappers that are aged on the Anejos, not the binder or filler.

Depends how strong you like them. A "fresh" Anejo will be pretty strong, in your face if you will. A couple years of age takes some of the edge off in my experience.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Ya I believe you're right about it just being the wrapper. I never looke at it that way. Aging the "whole" cigar probably would benefit. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I enjoy Anejos ROTT (Right Off The Truck), but after a couple years they mellow and are, in my opinion, better. They smooth out quite a bit.

However, it must be noted that while some cigars do well with age, others lose just about everything and are tasteless entities. This is true more of NCs than CCs.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

And examples off hand that lose it right away? I've never been in a financial position to build up enough to age, usually buy and smoke. But I want to bud a coolerdor and start aging.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotacotuesday View Post
And examples off hand that lose it right away? I've never been in a financial position to build up enough to age, usually buy and smoke. But I want to bud a coolerdor and start aging.
From a money standpoint the Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project is one of the best bang for your buck cigars around IMNSHO. Several times a year CI will have boxes of them on sale for <$60. And they definitely get tastier with age. When I get a box I toss it in the back of my wineador and forget about it for at least six months. I don't know how they fare after years and years; the longest I've held on to one before smoking it is about 18 months and it was great.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Only the wrappers have been aged. The completed, rolled cigars, are probably less than six months old, when they reach the vendors.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Although I wouldn't use the term "right away," a few that I have personally experienced this with are davidoffs, avo, (nc) bolivars, and some older little known brands I've come across here and there. Keep in mind some of these are with 10+ years on them, but for the most part anything NC that starts out mild will fade away. A few years back I went around buying up old stock to see for myself, and I've had many "hot air" moments. they can be disappointing, especially if you're expecting something that was once really good to be marvelous.

However, when you do come across something that has aged well, the benefit is unparalleled
Old 03-18-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Great. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
Although I wouldn't use the term "right away," a few that I have personally experienced this with are davidoffs, avo, (nc) bolivars, and some older little known brands I've come across here and there. Keep in mind some of these are with 10+ years on them, but for the most part anything NC that starts out mild will fade away. A few years back I went around buying up old stock to see for myself, and I've had many "hot air" moments. they can be disappointing, especially if you're expecting something that was once really good to be marvelous.

However, when you do come across something that has aged well, the benefit is unparalleled
Interesting perspective. I have had Davidoff and Avos that age well. Yes, they start out mild - and the do not get any stronger. However if you smoke aged versions slowly, the complexity and subtlety of flavors is astounding.

Ones that I have found that do not age well? Nw mind you, these are just my tastes - and your tastes may vary - as shown above.

La Flor Dominicana - Ligero and DL lines.
Rocky Patel - just about any line
Gurhka (of the few that I have had)
5 Vegas
Padilla Miami
Tatuaje (the tubos anyway)
La Aurora

Cigars that age well?
El Rey del Mundo Robusto & Robusto Larga
Litto Gomez Diez
Litto Gomez Small Batch
Padron
Punch Rothschild Maduro Maduro

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 03-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #11
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
From a money standpoint the Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project is one of the best bang for your buck cigars around IMNSHO. Several times a year CI will have boxes of them on sale for <$60. And they definitely get tastier with age. When I get a box I toss it in the back of my wineador and forget about it for at least six months. I don't know how they fare after years and years; the longest I've held on to one before smoking it is about 18 months and it was great.
Definitely this! I was amazed at how tasty these suckers are after about six months. My problem is I usually can't hang onto them that long!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
Twotacotuesday
Just in from the Storm

Cohiba

Just checked CI. They have boxes ranging from 80-100. Comes with an ash tray.