Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Guillen Desconosidos

According to Mac, "A stick by one of our own BOTLs here at CA, Andy Madera. This stick was never released and has hints of spice and chocolate. Been sitting on this for over three years."

Now lets get down to it.

Looks to be about a Coronita, ~5.5 x 40. The wrapper ain't exactly pretty, but the construction is great and it smells awesome.

Prelight draw has a slight barnyardiness to it(in a good way), with some sweetness and a spice I can't quite place. Almost licorice-esque, which is working for me, though I've never been a huge fan of licorice. Off to a good start before even lighting it.

The first puff greets me with hay and a light spice, which fades into a light sweetness with lots of earthier spices, cinnamon and cardamom are the two that come to mind. Very much so reminding me of a Tat Black Culebra, but not quite as sweet. The ash is a nice, slightly mottled light grey. As I proceed I get a touch of the chocolate Mac mentioned, but its very faint and like a high cacao content dark chocolate, 90%+. Maybe a tiny bit of the licorice I noticed in the prelight draw is hanging around. So far I'm loving the complexity. Took one puff too many and got an instant harshness, but it calmed down shortly after, I'll just have to keep myself from puffing so much, I'm likin the stick so I keep wanting more. Burn is just a touch off, I would normally fix it as I'm very anal about my burn line, but I'm gonna try to let this one sort itself out.

As the first third rounds out, more of the same with a building earthiness and weakening sweetness. Typing while the ash is like the Leaning Tower of Pisa does not bode well for my keyboard, so I take preemptive measures and ash it for the first time. The burn line has more or less sorted itself out. The spice has almost made a complete departure around the halfway mark, all I'm getting is licorice, a touch of the chocolate, and earth. As the second third rounds out the chocolate pretty much entirely disappears and all I'm left with is licorice and earth. Not exactly a bad thing, I'm enjoying it, but not as wonderfully complex as the first third. The ash has gotten a bit flaky as well.

As I start the final third, the sweetness and chocolate makes a comeback as the licorice fades. I'm glad to see a bit more of the complexity back, not as complex as the first third, but definitely better than the second. The cinnamon is beginning to make a comeback too, which is great. It finishes with a bang in the cinnamon and chocolate departments, especially the latter. Great note to end on. I just wish I had brought my nubber with me today.

Final Burn Time: ~1 hour 40 minutes

Final Ratings:

Appearance/construction/prelight draw: 4.5/5(half a point taken just for aesthetics)

First Third: 5/5

Second Third: 3.5/5

Final Third: 4.5/5

Overall: 17.5/20
This stick started off with one of the best first thirds I've had from a cigar in awhile, better start than either the Boris or T110 I had recently in terms of complexity, I enjoyed all three greatly, but this bad boy takes the cake by edging the other two with how much more complex it was. It did struggle a bit toward the middle of the stick, but the flavors and complexity came back with a vengeance in the final third. My only complaint would be I feel it may have been just past its prime(6 months past at most, not much, but noticable), I imagine this would have scored at least a full point higher, mainly from the second third not losing so much. This stick was a total treat and a great way to start my day. Andy, if you were thinking about bringing these back, please do.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Guillen Desconosidos

Very nice review and photo's Bear. Thank you! Sounds like Andy would have a winner on his hands should this vitola be produced and placed on the market...
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the fine review!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn fine review Bear. Glad you enjoyed it brother.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
AndyMadera
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (46)
Trinidad
AndyMadera will become famous soon enoughAndyMadera will become famous soon enough

Hey Bear, Great review. I love seeing this because I often wonder how many of specific stuff is still out there and curious as to how they aged. I need to start keeping more stuff for myself haha!

Maybe Mac can help me out but I based on the review and comments I would think that was a "desconocido" meaning "the unknown" I made about 200 of them and they go spread around CA only. It is actually my favorite cigar we ever made. When it was younger that licorice was more like an unbuttered pop corn to me. I will make more of them some day for sure and CA will be the first to know.

Again, great review, I am glad you enjoyed it.
AndyMadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMadera View Post
Hey Bear, Great review. I love seeing this because I often wonder how many of specific stuff is still out there and curious as to how they aged. I need to start keeping more stuff for myself haha!

Maybe Mac can help me out but I based on the review and comments I would think that was a "desconocido" meaning "the unknown" I made about 200 of them and they go spread around CA only. It is actually my favorite cigar we ever made. When it was younger that licorice was more like an unbuttered pop corn to me. I will make more of them some day for sure and CA will be the first to know.

Good stuff Andrew! I am one of many who enjoys the smaller RG sticks and Nic puros. Ill peruse the website and see what is available.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMadera View Post

Now that you mention it, popcorn does sort of match up with some of the flavors I got, but more like a kettle corn with the sweetness.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote