Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #921
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

A dozen small bell jars only runs about 10 bucks. I highly recommend them.
Also, if you go the jar route, check the lids on jars you don't open often after a couple days as they will sometimes loosen a bit. You should only have to re-tighten once though once fixed and left alone.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #922
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
A dozen small bell jars only runs about 10 bucks. I highly recommend them.
Also, if you go the jar route, check the lids on jars you don't open often after a couple days as they will sometimes loosen a bit. You should only have to re-tighten once though once fixed and left alone.
I use canning jars for my bulk tobacco, but for tobacco already in a tin? Do you seriously take it out of the tin to put in a jar? I applaud you for doing so!

Personally, I like the tins for another reason - because I can slip one in my pocket and go. If I want to take some tobacco that is jarred, I take a couple pipe's worth and put it in a tin or pouch - glass jars don't not travel well, and break too easily (yes, I learned the hard way - I even thought 1/2 pint jars, being smaller was the ticket - it took break 2 of those even to teach me).

I have a large-ish Rubbermaid container that seals air tight, I think it was made to hold a loaf of bread. At present it has 9 tins in it, some 50g and a couple 100g. A couple of the tins have been in there for over a year and are still fresh.

In the 32+ years of pipe smoking, I've done a bunch of things. In college, I had only one container with tobacco, and it was the only blend I smoked. It held almost a pound, so I would just fill it up and smoke it. Usually, it lasted me about 2 months. I had either a pipe or a cigar in my mouth almost constantly, and pipes more than cigars. (My humidor held about 100 cigars, and it usually only had Punch Rothschilds, AF Chateaus, AF Rothschilds, and El Rey del Mundo Robustos in it.)

It wasn't till I was at Seminary that my tastes in tobacco expanded. I tried to get by on the cheap, and I really thought I couldn't justify a bunch of different tobacco sitting around. Well, that changed and so I needed to discover ways to store numerous open tins and bulk tobacco in baggies that were open so I could leave Mason/Ball jar sealed shut w/out opening and closing all the time. I also began to smoke less often, and cigars began to take up more of my smoking rotation space. That's where I discovered the Rubbermaid container. It has been servicing my "open tobacco" sealing needs for about 25 years or so.

There are many ways to do this, mine is just one.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #923
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough

When "I" open a tin, it goes straight to a canning jar. I have so many cigars & pipe tobacco that I could never finish a tin before it would dry out because I am usually smoking a different tobacco most of the time.

When I travel for work for days on end, I do take a range bag (it is cushioned) full of the little jars & the pistol case carries about a dozen pipes . Sometime is it is just a day trip, I'll load a few pipes or take an old tin with some tobacco in it.
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #924
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

Partagas

Like Wayne, I dump the majority into a jar but keep some in the tin for smoking. I do like the idea of using rubbemaid/tupperware too though Todd, I'll have to pick up something during my next errand run. Seems a small price to pay for a little more peace of mind. The issue never presented itself in the past as I would only buy enough baccy to smoke. Now that I'm starting to branch out and explore more, I've found I have a small "collection" of blends on my hands that I wouldn't want drying up.

As always, thanks to all who contribute to this thread, top notch information and ideas.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #925
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

If I take a couple pipes along fishing or golfing for, I don't usually have room for more than one blend in one container (and a 3-finger cigar case). A tin (or tobacco pouch) is safer for me than even a small Mason jar held in my pocket. The round twist-to-open tins seal fairly nicely and float better than Mason jars too.

I have even taken to putting labels on old tins, taking a few ounces out of a larger Mason jar to put in that tin, and till the tobacco is gone, keeping that tin in my Rubbermaid storage.

Of course, as I shave with a double edge razor, I put spent blades in an old Robert McConnell Scottish Flake tin that I super-glued shut and cut a corner slit in with a saws all. I have put spent blades in there for the last 2 years and there is still room.

Tins come in handy.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #926
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
When "I" open a tin, it goes straight to a canning jar. I have so many cigars & pipe tobacco that I could never finish a tin before it would dry out because I am usually smoking a different tobacco most of the time.

When I travel for work for days on end, I do take a range bag (it is cushioned) full of the little jars & the pistol case carries about a dozen pipes . Sometime is it is just a day trip, I'll load a few pipes or take an old tin with some tobacco in it.
You're a better man than I am. I would suggest that in the future you let a tin or two "dry out." There are a lot of tobaccos out there that are simply better when "crackly."
Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #927
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanaspus View Post
You're a better man than I am. I would suggest that in the future you let a tin or two "dry out." There are a lot of tobaccos out there that are simply better when "crackly."
I do not know about crackly, but I definitely like my tobaccos better on the drier side than the wet or even moist side.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #928
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Here's one I'm hoping you old farts can help me with. My pipe smells and tastes like an ashtray. Pretty badly too. I've had two bowls through it thus far and it's got a black char on the inside of the bowl. Is the ashtray taste and charring normal? I've ran about six pipe cleaners through it since I bought the pipe. The cleaners help a little but but it's still got a really strong ashtray smell and taste. I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing wrong though, probably smoking too fast/hard. Any help ya'll can give me to get that smell and taste out is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Edit: it's a Missouri Meerschaum pipe and a burley house blend from the B&M that I'm smoking.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #929
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Here's one I'm hoping you old farts can help me with. My pipe smells and tastes like an ashtray. Pretty badly too. I've had two bowls through it thus far and it's got a black char on the inside of the bowl. Is the ashtray taste and charring normal? I've ran about six pipe cleaners through it since I bought the pipe. The cleaners help a little but but it's still got a really strong ashtray smell and taste. I'm pretty sure it's something I'm doing wrong though, probably smoking too fast/hard. Any help ya'll can give me to get that smell and taste out is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Edit: it's a Missouri Meerschaum pipe and a burley house blend from the B&M that I'm smoking.
Since its a cob, no need to worry. Cobs need about 5-10 bowls smoked in em to break in. Those first bowls that "ashtray" flavor comes from the bowl getting its initial char. Once thats done itll calm down. Then you get my favorite thing about a cob after its smoked, that faint smell of my great-grandmother's corn if you smell the outside of the bowl.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #930
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Since its a cob, no need to worry. Cobs need about 5-10 bowls smoked in em to break in. Those first bowls that "ashtray" flavor comes from the bowl getting its initial char. Once thats done itll calm down. Then you get my favorite thing about a cob after its smoked, that faint smell of my great-grandmother's corn if you smell the outside of the bowl.
Thanks for the info! So another question on the same topic. Do briars that come "pre-charred" still go through that ashy taste period? Or do briars not really have this happen to them at all? Thanks again!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #931
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thanks for the info! So another question on the same topic. Do briars that come "pre-charred" still go through that ashy taste period? Or do briars not really have this happen to them at all? Thanks again!
Briars tend to not have that same period like a cob. On the other hand, a new briar still needs broken in and a good cake formed in the bowl for heat reasons mainly. A good cake helps keep the bowl cooler throughout the smoke, and in newer briars, this typically means the bowl will get hot much quicker than will be the norm down the road. And I'm assuming the "pre-charring" you're referring to is the bowl having a finish on the inside. Thats just something a lot of companies use to help that initial cake form in the bowl.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #932
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

Quote:
I do dry 'em as I go. If I dried then packed it into jars, it would turn to dust. (I pack the jars pretty tight sometimes)

I smoke a lot of cobs too...when I'm done with a bowl, I tend t take a paper towel and wad it up a bit to wipe the inside of my cob...sometimes I'll dampen it a tiny bit if I let the pipe cool down before wiping.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #933
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
I do dry 'em as I go. If I dried then packed it into jars, it would turn to dust. (I pack the jars pretty tight sometimes)

I smoke a lot of cobs too...when I'm done with a bowl, I tend t take a paper towel and wad it up a bit to wipe the inside of my cob...sometimes I'll dampen it a tiny bit if I let the pipe cool down before wiping.
A) Does it still have the filter in the stem? If so, get rid of it. It is more of a pain than it is a benefit, and often smells nasty.

B) You do not need to wipe the inside of the bowl. Dump the dottle and let a bit of a cake build up on the inside of the bowl, that is what protects the pipe itself. When you wipe it out, the cake doesn't have a chance to build up.

How to build a cake? This is the simple explanation. Smoke your pipe down to dottle (ash), put your thumb over the bowl and shake the ash inside for a couple seconds, remove thumb and dump dottle out, set pipe down and let it rest. If you have not done so, run a pipe cleaner through it. A cake will develop on the inside of the bowl and protect the pipe itself, this is a good thing.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #934
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

Cohiba

I can say for sure that my cobs I use a lot, have a good amount of cake in them. I have even had to ream a couple old ones. But at the same time, they never have smelled bad.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #935
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the great advice frats! I'm heavily down the slope now. My first few tries with a pipe were unfulfilling. With your kind guidance I feel like I'm fully experiencing all the bowl has to offer. I never thought I'd get the same satisfaction as with a cigar, yet I do and then some. Also it's much more cost effective. Thanks!!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #936
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
A) Does it still have the filter in the stem? If so, get rid of it. It is more of a pain than it is a benefit, and often smells nasty.

B) You do not need to wipe the inside of the bowl. Dump the dottle and let a bit of a cake build up on the inside of the bowl, that is what protects the pipe itself. When you wipe it out, the cake doesn't have a chance to build up.

How to build a cake? This is the simple explanation. Smoke your pipe down to dottle (ash), put your thumb over the bowl and shake the ash inside for a couple seconds, remove thumb and dump dottle out, set pipe down and let it rest. If you have not done so, run a pipe cleaner through it. A cake will develop on the inside of the bowl and protect the pipe itself, this is a good thing.

Thanks for the cake building advice Rev! It came with a filter but I pulled that out as soon as I walked out of the shop. I don't smoke filtered cigars, why would a pipe need one. Gonna go for another bowl tonight, hopefully that ashtray flavor will dissipate some more.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #937
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

Army (Served With Honor)

Back again with another question gentlemen.

What is sort of the general rule of thumb when it comes to puffing on the pipe? By this I mean that in the cigar world one draw per minute is the most general advice given, is there a similar timeframe with pipes? I've been experimenting with several different cadences and have yet to find one that really feels right. Thus far taking a small puff (sip I guess) every few seconds is working the best for keeping the pipe lit, but are longer paced fuller draws the better way? What's the best puffing method for really tasting the tobacco? Thanks again everyone, this is a new and exciting venture and it's really nice to have a resource like this available.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #938
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Back again with another question gentlemen.

What is sort of the general rule of thumb when it comes to puffing on the pipe? By this I mean that in the cigar world one draw per minute is the most general advice given, is there a similar timeframe with pipes? I've been experimenting with several different cadences and have yet to find one that really feels right. Thus far taking a small puff (sip I guess) every few seconds is working the best for keeping the pipe lit, but are longer paced fuller draws the better way? What's the best puffing method for really tasting the tobacco? Thanks again everyone, this is a new and exciting venture and it's really nice to have a resource like this available.
It depends on the tobacco really. Pure Virginias and Va/Pers are meant to be sipped and kept right on the edge of going out. By doing so, you can get puffs of sweetness you never knew existed in the tobacco world. English and Burley blends on the other hand tend to be very blend specific. There are several of these that I find deliver the best flavor when puffed like a steam engine, while there are others that taste best when smoked like a pure Virginia. Experiment extensively with what you're smoking.

This is why I always have to laugh when reviewers say things like, "I tried one bowl and knew it was not for me." I don't really feel I'm qualified to judge a tobacco until I've smoked at least 2 (preferably 8) ounces of a particular blend.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #939
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

Partagas

Spot on advice Tony. Very well put.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:34 PM   #940
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
It depends on the tobacco really. Pure Virginias and Va/Pers are meant to be sipped and kept right on the edge of going out. By doing so, you can get puffs of sweetness you never knew existed in the tobacco world. English and Burley blends on the other hand tend to be very blend specific. There are several of these that I find deliver the best flavor when puffed like a steam engine, while there are others that taste best when smoked like a pure Virginia. Experiment extensively with what you're smoking.

This is why I always have to laugh when reviewers say things like, "I tried one bowl and knew it was not for me." I don't really feel I'm qualified to judge a tobacco until I've smoked at least 2 (preferably 8) ounces of a particular blend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer View Post
Spot on advice Tony. Very well put.