Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 AM   #381
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Second Firearm Thread...

I'm not trying to be a buzz kill with what you're doing, I know a lot of people that do the same thing you're planning on doing. Just bringing up food for thought.

I was referring to pistol when mentioned ccw. If you're going to travel with it or leave it in the car for when the doo doo goes down. Just leave it in the trunk, the less you fiddle with it the better off you are.

I have backpack that will fit a 20" ar broken down, can't seem to find any tags on it to see who made it. But my neighbor, leaving his house at the same time as me, commented "oh, you play pool?" Might want to look into a pool cue case. Not sure if it will hold up to the weight of an AR though.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:07 PM   #382
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
I'm not trying to be a buzz kill with what you're doing, I know a lot of people that do the same thing you're planning on doing. Just bringing up food for thought.

I was referring to pistol when mentioned ccw. If you're going to travel with it or leave it in the car for when the doo doo goes down. Just leave it in the trunk, the less you fiddle with it the better off you are.

I have backpack that will fit a 20" ar broken down, can't seem to find any tags on it to see who made it. But my neighbor, leaving his house at the same time as me, commented "oh, you play pool?" Might want to look into a pool cue case. Not sure if it will hold up to the weight of an AR though.
No, I get what you are saying Greg. I realize that it's not optimal to leave it in the car, but I just don't see how I can get around it at times, and to me it's just as bad as leaving it at the house unless you have some kind of Fort Knox style place to lock it up. I carry my pistol daily and never leave the house without it. I only carried my 1911 because that's the only pistol I had for a while. Now I have a .45 Shield and carry it along with the 1911 most days because I don't like leaving it at home. My home was broken into several years ago my home was broken into and two of my pistols were stolen. I like the style case you mentioned and will probably try one of those and see what happens. Thanks

Last edited by G G; 01-01-2017 at 12:12 PM.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #383
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
No, I get what you are saying Greg. I realize that it's not optimal to leave it in the car, but I just don't see how I can get around it at times, and to me it's just as bad as leaving it at the house unless you have some kind of Fort Knox style place to lock it up. I carry my pistol daily and never leave the house without it. I only carried my 1911 because that's the only pistol I had for a while. Now I have a .45 Shield and carry it along with the 1911 most days because I don't like leaving it at home. My home was broken into several years ago my home was broken into and two of my pistols were stolen. I like the style case you mentioned and will probably try one of those and see what happens. Thanks
If you're going to keep acquiring firearms--or just want to hang on to those you already have--invest in a safe. It's about as fun a way to spend money as buying insurance, because in fact that is precisely what you're doing. But unlike a paper policy, it doesn't expire or try not to pay a claim.

Most home burglars aren't going to try to do much with a safe, at least not in all but the ritziest neighborhoods. It takes skills and/or tools not commonly found with ordinary quick-grab thieves.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #384
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
If you're going to keep acquiring firearms--or just want to hang on to those you already have--invest in a safe. It's about as fun a way to spend money as buying insurance, because in fact that is precisely what you're doing. But unlike a paper policy, it doesn't expire or try not to pay a claim.

Most home burglars aren't going to try to do much with a safe, at least not in all but the ritziest neighborhoods. It takes skills and/or tools not commonly found with ordinary quick-grab thieves.
Probably need to get one someday soon.

I was looking for ammo for my M&P that I am going to purchase in the next week or so and was perusing the internet page for the gun shop I will be buying it from. Found advertised on it 600 rounds of American Eagle 63 grain 5.56 Green Tip for an amazing price. I know it's not the best for defensive purposes and according to friends you can't shoot it at indoor ranges but I couldn't let that stop me. I bought 1800 rounds for $268.00.

I honestly thought it had to be misprint. Looked closely at their policies and it said if there was a mistake they would contact me before putting the order through. Ordered it on Saturday online and today the charge went through on my bank account. Waiting on an email to tell me it's ready to pick up.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #385
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Just keep my advice about a safe in the back of your mind. I have never for a second regretted the money spent on it. One of the only bummers is moving to a new home and realizing that big steel box has to come along.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #386
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

And good score on the 5.56 ammo! Bud's Guns in Lexington Ky. had that stuff on an in-store-only special when I was there a couple years ago. It's actually shot very well in my AR's, accurate, clean, and consistent on the chronograph. My indoor range doesn't allow it, but where I practice outdoors, no problem!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #387
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Just keep my advice about a safe in the back of your mind. I have never for a second regretted the money spent on it. One of the only bummers is moving to a new home and realizing that big steel box has to come along.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #388
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Well the ammo deal fell through. Even though they put the order through and charged my card, I got a call when the ammo arrived in the store and the dude says that there is a problem. He says the price I paid should have been the price on 600 rounds and not 1800 rounds. The problem I have with that is the fact that I added a note to the online order when I placed it telling them that if it was a mistake on the price then cancel the order. I followed that up with a phone call to the store and told them what I bought and was pretty sure the price was wrong, and they assured me that if the price was wrong on the website I would be contacted before it was charged, welllllllll it didn't.

So the guy tells me I can either accept the 600 rounds for the $264 I paid or he can refund me my money. It was a take it or leave it offer, so I left it. I told him he could kindly refund my money and even though he gave me a good price on the gun to go with the ammo, I would not be purchasing the gun either. If he had offered to throw in 150 or 300 extra rounds to go with the 600 rounds I would have taken it and been happy, because it wasn't my mistake, but the attitude he had caused me to say nopers, I will never worry about doing any business there in the future.

The good news is I saw a post in a forum thread about a place called Whittakers Guns in Kentucky that has the M&P 15 Sport II for $499.00. So I just placed the order for the M&P and 8 Gen 3 Magpul 30 round pmags to go with it for $615 and that includes insurance on the shipment. The guy with the ammo fiasco wanted $609 for just the gun.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #389
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Congrats on the gun Greg.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM   #390
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Name:  IMG_7111.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  97.5 KB

Picking up this M&P 15-22 tomorrow, really wanted a dedicated .22 so I don't have to spend as much money shooting my .223 just to plink
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #391
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Attachment 17539

Picking up this M&P 15-22 tomorrow, really wanted a dedicated .22 so I don't have to spend as much money shooting my .223 just to plink
Nice and thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #392
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well the ammo deal fell through. Even though they put the order through and charged my card, I got a call when the ammo arrived in the store and the dude says that there is a proble m. He says the price I paid should have been the price on 600 rounds and not 1800 rounds. The problem I have with that is the fact that I added a note to the online order when I placed it telling them that if it was a mistake on the price then cancel the order. I followed that up with a phone call to the store and told them what I bought and was pretty sure the price was wrong, and they assured me that if the price was wrong on the website I would be contacted before it was charged, welllllllll it didn't.

So the guy tells me I can either accept the 600 rounds for the $264 I paid or he can refund me my money. It was a take it or leave it offer, so I left it. I told him he could kindly refund my money and even though he gave me a good price on the gun to go with the ammo, I would not be purchasing the gun either. If he had offered to throw in 150 or 300 extra rounds to go with the 600 rounds I would have taken it and been happy, because it wasn't my mistake, but the attitude he had caused me to say nopers, I will never worry about doing any business there in the future.

The good news is I saw a post in a forum thread about a place called Whittakers Guns in Kentucky that has the M&P 15 Sport II for $499.00. So I just placed the order for the M&P and 8 Gen 3 Magpul 30 round pmags to go with it for $615 and that includes insurance on the shipment. The guy with the ammo fiasco wanted $609 for just the gun.
Sorry that it fell through, but it's probably for the best. Like I said, that dealer has been a bit "strange" since it passed through several owners a few years ago. I stopped by there last year and tried to talk to the guy and got a really weird feeling that I just couldn't shake.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:59 AM   #393
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Attachment 17539

Nice! I've kinda been thinking the same thing. Local shop had a pink .22 a few months ago, but they really liked it more than I did according to the price they had on it
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #394
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Sorry that it fell through, but it's probably for the best. Like I said, that dealer has been a bit "strange" since it passed through several owners a few years ago. I stopped by there last year and tried to talk to the guy and got a really weird feeling that I just couldn't shake.
I hear you Steve, at the very least he seems to be one of those one way guys. His way or the highway. I also got the vibe that he was doing me a favor by selling me 600 rounds for $264, which was a decent price but they can be found for that all day long.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:15 PM   #395
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Name:  IMG_7117.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  100.6 KB

Gently used for just over $300....plink, plink,plink!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #396
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Attachment 17540

Old 01-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #397
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Attachment 17540

FUN!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #398
G G
BR549

Bolivar

The M&P 15 Sport II is gonna be at my local shop tomorrow. I ordered a 34 inch UBG covert case for it so I can carry it in my car or truck with me. Got it from Walmart for 30 bucks. Same one a bunch of other places charge 50 or more for. Got a compartment that holds up to 8 mags and other junk plus the rifle compartment with 6 velcro fasteners to hold the rifle in there real nice. I am feeling pretty lazy today so I probably won't post a pic. LOL
Old 01-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #399
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
The M&P 15 Sport II is gonna be at my local shop tomorrow. I ordered a 34 inch UBG covert case for it so I can carry it in my car or truck with me. Got it from Walmart for 30 bucks. Same one a bunch of other places charge 50 or more for. Got a compartment that holds up to 8 mags and other junk plus the rifle compartment with 6 velcro fasteners to hold the rifle in there real nice. I am feeling pretty lazy today so I probably won't post a pic. LOL
Sounds like a winner, I need another case also, maybe I'll check them out.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #400
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Sounds like a winner, I need another case also, maybe I'll check them out.
I saw a review on youtube about it. You can get it on Amazon and ebay for around 33 bucks Mike.