Old 01-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #161
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sous vide

Going to do a rib eye today. Plan to use a very good (commercial) rub which I will remove before the sear. I plan to sear in cast iron with a minimal amount of oil to keep the mess as small as I can.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #162
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

The Searzall is available on Amazon again for $75, and the TS8000 torch is down to about $40 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch...words=searzall
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:46 PM   #163
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The Searzall is available on Amazon again for $75, and the TS8000 torch is down to about $40 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch...words=searzall
ordered.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #164
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Going to do a rib eye today. Plan to use a very good (commercial) rub which I will remove before the sear. I plan to sear in cast iron with a minimal amount of oil to keep the mess as small as I can.
Why remove the rub?...not sure you'll get much "penetration" into the meat flavor wise with a pre-bath rub...curious as to your thoughts?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #165
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

When I sear, the rub tends to burn.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #166
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
When I sear, the rub tends to burn.
Yea, figured that...maybe a post-sear sprinkle for flavor...
Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #167
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

Watch the video when you get the searzall for first use or you will destroy the grates
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #168
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Coral View Post
Watch the video when you get the searzall for first use or you will destroy the grates
What grates?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #169
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Received an email from Anova that the wifi version of the app is now available for Android.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #170
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Since everyone else is doing it, I decided to try some SV roast beef too. My experience in the past with 30-ish hour cooks on other meats seems to show the same issues as what Keith and Dom described, and that is the meat takes on a mushy texture, so this time I went for 18 hours at 130F on another one of the tougher cuts of meat, this one being a small (~2 lb) sirloin tip roast. Seared on cast iron and with a searzall. Still want to tweak things a bit, but came out pretty good overall. The cut meat in the 3rd photo is the larger muscle of the group, the one on the left in the top photo and the upper chunk in the middle photo, I thought I was cutting against the grain, but for some reason it came out odd looking, like it was either twisted up or somehow I got it slightly off when loading it on the slicer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg w-sirloin tip-20160114_200025.jpg (60.8 KB, 808 views)
File Type: jpg w-sirloin tip-20160115_153812.jpg (88.5 KB, 811 views)
File Type: jpg w-sirloin tip-20160115_154941.jpg (94.7 KB, 804 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #171
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

How was the texture after 18 hrs, Adam?
Was 18 hrs enough to make the roast tender?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #172
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
How was the texture after 18 hrs, Adam?
Was 18 hrs enough to make the roast tender?
It depended on the muscle, there are a couple muscles that all come together in the tip and, the larger one in the roast I had, the one I might have cut wrong, came out more tender than the smaller one in the photos. The larger one was soft with just enough firmness to still let you know it was there (unlike the mushy 32-hour pork that I did previously), but some of the edges got really tough and chewy, not sure if that was because of the sear or something else.

The smaller of the two muscles (the lower one), which I chilled before slicing, came out texture wise more like deli roast beef, but lacked flavor.

There was also a tiny third muscle cut there, you can kind of see it poking out at the bottom of the searing photo, about the size of a carrot. That one came out more like a grilled steak. I think it would have sucked cold.

I think I need to do better job trimming next time, I thought it looked ok going in, but after it came out of the bath, wasn't really happy with how much I left.

I'm going to try this again, but use a specific single muscle and see what I get. While the sirloin tip roast wasn't bad, I think it would have been better suited to being tossed in the pellet grill and treated like pork butt and given an overnight cook and then some at 200 +/- or into either a dutch oven or pressure cooker and turned into ropa vieja.

Last edited by T.G; 01-17-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #173
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

Did chicken last night and was very impressive meal. Tonight trying. 2inch thick New York with coffee rub will be interesting
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #174
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Tenderloin Fillets tonite ...

Was gifted an assortment of Wagyu steaks from Snake River Farms in Idaho. Set the water bath for 137.5*, let them do their thing for about an hour, and finished them off with a little salt & pepper rub and a butter-sear on the skillet.

Tremendous flavor, incredibly tender. Sooooooooo good!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #175
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Thanks, Adam.

Thoughts on the Snake river steaks, Vin?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #176
massphatness

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
Thoughts on the Snake river steaks, Vin?
These were gifted so difficult to assess actual value, but I eat at nicer steak houses in Boston often enough to say these compare favorably with the quality of steaks at places like Capitol Grille, Morton's, Abe & Louie's etc. However, the portion size was small - very much a petite fillet.

On the plus side, the steaks come already vacuum sealed - perfect for the Anova.

The Wagyu beef is different from "normal" beef, and I had not experienced it before. The Wagyu is extremely tender -- literally cut it with a fork tender. Lots of fat in the Wagyu steak but in a good way -- not huge chunks of fat, but more distributed throughout the beef. Super flavorful.

I did the sear with just a touch of salt & pepper because I wanted the full on flavor of the beef, and it didn't disappoint.

This rocked as a gift (and there are more in my freezer ) but I'd need to research price to know if I'd buy directly. My sense is it is likely to be cost prohibitive for the size steaks I'd like, particularly since you have to factor in shipping.

Glad to have had the opportunity to try these and look forward to cooking up the other cuts in my freezer.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #177
massphatness

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
These were gifted so difficult to assess actual value, but I eat at nicer steak houses in Boston often enough to say these compare favorably with the quality of steaks at places like Capitol Grille, Morton's, Abe & Louie's etc. However, the portion size was small - very much a petite fillet.

On the plus side, the steaks come already vacuum sealed - perfect for the Anova.

The Wagyu beef is different from "normal" beef, and I had not experienced it before. The Wagyu is extremely tender -- literally cut it with a fork tender. Lots of fat in the Wagyu steak but in a good way -- not huge chunks of fat, but more distributed throughout the beef. Super flavorful.

I did the sear with just a touch of salt & pepper because I wanted the full on flavor of the beef, and it didn't disappoint.

This rocked as a gift (and there are more in my freezer ) but I'd need to research price to know if I'd buy directly. My sense is it is likely to be cost prohibitive for the size steaks I'd like, particularly since you have to factor in shipping.

Glad to have had the opportunity to try these and look forward to cooking up the other cuts in my freezer.
EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me, and I looked up pricing. I don't like to do that when I've received something as a gift, but in this case, I'm giving myself a pass for the sake of education. Surprisingly, it looks like these steaks can be had for the price of a typical fillet mignon in a high end restaurant provided you buy them in quantity. Snake Rive Farms sells their 8 oz fillet for $40- if you buy eight or more. Standard shipping is $9.99 bringing the avg cost per steak to a little more than $41. By contrast, a 10 oz a la carte fillet at Capitol Grille in Boston is $47-. So I take back the cost prohibitive statement -- at some point, I'll likely buy some of these, but it's still pretty costly and would be a treat a few times a year.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #178
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

Partagas

started with 3 ribeyes...applied a commercial rub (Costa Carne, excellent on beef!)...vac sealed and into bath at 130 for an hour...pan seared (not cast iron this time, got lazy and used same pan I sauteed green beans and mushrooms)...decent sear...tasty......

Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #179
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Looks great, Keith!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #180
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Inspired by Adam's results, we picked up a 2.5 lb USDA Prime tri-tip from Costco. I marinaded the tri-tip for two hours before cooking and included the marinade in the vacuum bag.

The marinade is pureed onion, garlic, extra light EVOO, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.

I cooked it for 8 hours @ 130* and then seared it for 60 seconds on each side in Duck fat.

I think this is the best tri-tip I have ever made (I usually grill them). The meat was tender, had a great texture and mouth-feel and was very juicy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tritip1.jpg (64.9 KB, 801 views)
File Type: jpg tritip2.jpg (68.1 KB, 717 views)

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote