Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: NHL '09 - '10 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone View Post
I was surprised that they rejected the contract. I thought the Hossa contract was pretty obvious about trying to go around the cap and I remember him even making a comment about that. I guess the 17 years on Kovalchuk was a little too much for the league.
Players Union is expected to grieve the rejection.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #2542
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

I just got my tickets for the '10-'11 season

Go Bruins!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #2543
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Kind of glad it was rejected.
Its one thing to play on the edge of the rules. This contract was laughing in the rules face. If this is allowed to stand it will begin to eliminate the whole purpose of the cap.

As to season tickets. Tried to cancel mine this year. Was not allowed to. Missed the date by a week. Sucks we are refinancing the house and really needed to not have that charge on the card.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #2544
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
I just got my tickets for the '10-'11 season

Go Bruins!!!

The Agent for Seguin said a deal should be done before training camp.
We'll see??
Old 07-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #2545
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Andrew Ladd made the most of his day with the Cup.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #2546
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Andrew Ladd made the most of his day with the Cup.

pretty sick
Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #2547
GHC_Hambone

Interesting news on the goalie front:

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/53895-walk-off

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #2548
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Niemi ended up getting 2.75 million, significantly less than the 4 million that was anticipated. Bowman still won't say what his plans are, but many arounf Chicago think Niemi still may be gone.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #2549
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

beat me to it.
hmmmmm this is really getting spicy now. You guys need to let a dman go and sign him. sharks nneed a good dman.

I got to say its good the hawks won the cup because this team while good, won't be quiet as deep this season.

atleast I won't have to worry about the wings again.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #2550
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
beat me to it.
hmmmmm this is really getting spicy now. You guys need to let a dman go and sign him. sharks nneed a good dman.

I got to say its good the hawks won the cup because this team while good, won't be quiet as deep this season.

You can have Campbell back, MIke......7 mill a year.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #2551
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
You can have Campbell back, MIke......7 mill a year.
Hmmmmm
PASS!!!
That spin move is cute, but he is "all Swedish no Finish"
Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #2552
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Hmmmmm
PASS!!!
That spin move is cute, but he is "all Swedish no Finish"
Ba-dum.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #2553
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
beat me to it.

Hey, the Wings are always in it. It would be tough to argue that another team has been better in the last 20 years. Besides that, I think they will be much improved this up coming season.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #2554
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Hawks let Niemi walk...signed Marty Turco for 1/2 the money Niemi would have got. I think it will allow the Hawks to have a little flexibility in their fourth line forwards and third pair of d-men, and not just bring up the cheapest options from Rockford. I think it was the right call, but time will tell.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #2555
Will herf for food

Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hawks let Niemi walk...signed Marty Turco for 1/2 the money Niemi would have got. I think it will allow the Hawks to have a little flexibility in their fourth line forwards and third pair of d-men, and not just bring up the cheapest options from Rockford. I think it was the right call, but time will tell.
Maybe, but hope you don't see the Wings in the playoffs. If I remember correctly Turco has 1 victory in 15 some tries at Joe Louis Arena.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #2556
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Maybe, but hope you don't see the Wings in the playoffs. If I remember correctly Turco has 1 victory in 15 some tries at Joe Louis Arena.
I ain't worried about the Wings like in years past, Mike. I know they will be right in the mix with their talent, but I think the Hawks are the team to beat in the Central...and Turco didn't have Keith, Seabrook and Hjallmarsson in front of him in Dallas.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #2557
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Hey, the Wings are always in it. It would be tough to argue that another team has been better in the last 20 years. Besides that, I think they will be much improved this up coming season.
They will be much improved this season? How? Please I would love to hear this as I have not seen them do anything to get better but resign aging players who faded down the stretch last year. Will they be in it? Yes. do teams fear them like they used to? No.

Over the last 20 yes, but last year your salarycap woes started, the wings escaped the issue till last season do to existing contracts. This year will be the same as last year. I am not trying to be mean, but if you are going to say they are going to be better you should come with some facts to explain this statement.

As I said all last season and was proved right by what happened.

1) Last year was the first year the wings had to deal with the cap and as a result they lost depth and got rolled early. They BARELY escaped round 1 going to 7 and got riped by a Sharks team with issues.

2) The team is getting older not younger and why they faded.

3) No one wants to go to the Wings anymore as they know they dont have a chance. Dont believe me? Name a big free agent signing in the past 2 years. No one wants to go to a team whos stars are at the end of their carrer.

4) The years of players taking less to play on the Wings are over. The true championship core is almost all gone.

Unfortanetly next years team is the Canucks. The Sharks didnt get the goalie they needed. The Hawks I think lost a touch to much depth to repeat all though they just might. The Wings are not deep enough. Please look at the three teams listed and their stats and rosters. Tell me how the Wings will beat them.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #2558
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
They will be much improved this season? How? Please I would love to hear this as I have not seen them do anything to get better but resign aging players who faded down the stretch last year. Will they be in it? Yes. do teams fear them like they used to? No.

Over the last 20 yes, but last year your salarycap woes started, the wings escaped the issue till last season do to existing contracts. This year will be the same as last year. I am not trying to be mean, but if you are going to say they are going to be better you should come with some facts to explain this statement.

As I said all last season and was proved right by what happened.

1) Last year was the first year the wings had to deal with the cap and as a result they lost depth and got rolled early. They BARELY escaped round 1 going to 7 and got riped by a Sharks team with issues.

2) The team is getting older not younger and why they faded.

3) No one wants to go to the Wings anymore as they know they dont have a chance. Dont believe me? Name a big free agent signing in the past 2 years. No one wants to go to a team whos stars are at the end of their carrer.

4) The years of players taking less to play on the Wings are over. The true championship core is almost all gone.

Unfortanetly next years team is the Canucks. The Sharks didnt get the goalie they needed. The Hawks I think lost a touch to much depth to repeat all though they just might. The Wings are not deep enough. Please look at the three teams listed and their stats and rosters. Tell me how the Wings will beat them.
Marian Hossa, albeit for 1 year that was a major signing. Because of the cap we don't have the room to sign any big name FA. Between our big name players we don't have too much space to sign any big names. And our core is still there that won the cup. Lidstrom will most likely retire after this season but we still have Datsuyk, Franzen and Zetterburg. Their ages respectively are 32, 30 and 29. Not exactly ready to retire yet..

Faded? I believe the Wings had the best record after the Olympic break. We do have young players that will continue to be making more of an impact year after year. Plus bringing back Hudler from Russia will add some more consistency to the 3rd line and another 20 goals. The Wings were plainly not ready for the playoffs. Their D was inconsistent and a rookie goaltender didn't help anything in the postseason.

There will be even more parody next year. Even with the horrible signing of Turco, the Hawks are still the team to beat. They are too talented to just fade away even with the maneuvering they've been doing. We'll see how the season pans out but the Wings for as long as the injury bug doesn't bite them again they will be better than last year.

I'm glad the discussions are already heating up
Old 08-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #2559
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I agree with Mike that the Canucks may be the team to beat this year, though as defending Champs I give the Hawks more chance than most.

Son, I know the Wings have some dynamite forwards in Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen. I think the Hawks have that beat with Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp, and have a better defensive core...though I know Lidstrom is still maybe the smartest D-man in the league. Goaltending will be huge....can Howard repeat in his sophmore year? Can Turco improve behind a much better defense than he had in Dallas? Will the Sharks go after Niemi or stand pat with Niitymaki? Can Luongo step up to the challenge? That might be the West in a nutshell.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #2560
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Veteran free-agent center Mike Modano will join the Red Wings this week, the Detroit Free Press reported Monday.

Modano, 40, has been offered a one-year contract for $1.25 million to be the team's third-line center. The Dallas Stars franchise icon for 20 seasons will also get a chance to play near home -- his parents live near Detroit.

"Big announcement Thursday," Modano stated in a text message to the newspaper Monday.
Well there ya go.

Closed Thread