Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
RazzBarlow

Default The Quest for Perfect Humidity

It all started simply enough. I was new to cigar smoking. I bought a humidor at the Orange County swap meet for the staggering sum of $30.00. It had a pretty, shiny finish and was cedar-lined, just like the experts said I needed. I asked the fella who sold me that box of dreams "What humidity should I store my cigars at?" His eyes lit up and he gave me the "70% humidity and 70 degrees Fahrenheit" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me the propylene glycol solution for my puck humidification device.

Here's where the trouble starts...

The humidity isn't 70%. It's 65%, then it's 75%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the puck. Then more solution in the puck. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...ask for advice. I tell the fella behind the counter my problem and his eyes light up. He gives me the "analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me a digital hygrometer for my little humidor.

The humidity isn't 70%. It's 68%, then it's 72%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the puck. Then more solution in the puck. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...ask for advice. I tell the fella behind the counter my problem and his eyes light up. He gives me the "puck humidifiers don't work" speech. You've all heard it, I won't go into it again. He sold me a diamond crown humidifier for my little humidor.

I'm starting to get the feeling this guy promotes Diamond Crown products.

I find these cigar forums on the computer. They have these experts. I start listening to these experts. They say that I shouldn't be storing my cigars at 70 degrees and 70% RH. I should be storing them at 65% humidity. I feel betrayed. That guy at the cigar shop was supposed to be an expert. He gave me bad information. He doesn't know what these cigar gods on CigarAsylum know. So, I slide the little windows further closed on the humidifier to bring my humidity down. And they're right! My cigars do smoke better. I have a smoother draw, fewer burn problems and an overall better smoking experience. Now, they're REALLY cigar gods at CigarAsylum!

I get a new, bigger humidor from Waxing Moon. It's a beauty! It's got trays inside it, it's a joy to look at! But it's bigger than my other humidor. Clearly, I will need to open up some of those little windows on my humidifier. I patiently season the humidor and load it up with it's precious cargo.

The humidity isn't 65%. It's 63%, then it's 68%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! I try less solution in the humidifier. Then more solution in the humidifier. Nothing works. In despair, I head down to my local cigar shop and do the unthinkable...WAIT! I'm not gonna do that again! I'm going to turn to those cigar gods. They will know what to do! I see over and over again that I should get beads. The cigar gods have spoken, I must get beads.

I go on to the website for Heartfelt and do the calculus algorithms required to calculate the amount of beads for my humidor. Following the advice of the cigar gods, I get twice the amount of beads required for my humidor so that it will recover quickly when I open the humidor. I buy the large 65% beadcase and attach it to the inside lid of my humidor and wait patiently.

The humidity isn't 65%. It's 64%, then it's 67%. Grrrrrr! I'm going to ruin my cigars! Those guys on CigarAsylum don't know what they're talking about! I feel betrayed. I did everything they said. I got the beads. I got more than was required. I used distilled water.

I'm depressed.

I can't even bear to look at my precious cargo that I'm sure is ruined. 3 days pass, then 5, then 8. Finally, I must look at the carnage that surely resides in my beautiful humidor. I open the lid and my jaw drops...those two little digits stare at me with their electronic gaze. I see that beautiful 6 nestled up against 5. I have finally achieved the perfect humidity!! Angels sing, light from the heavens basks down upon my humidor. I feel a need to celebrate! I reach in and grab one of those Padron 64s I love so much. I go and sit down on my patio and enjoy that luscious smoke.

As I walk back inside, I feel the urge to open the lid of my humidor and look at that gauge again. Trembling, I wait for it to pass. Don't do it! You've been blessed with the gift of Perfect Humidity. You know that gift is precious. It can only be gazed upon on those rare special occasions. Have faith, young warrior. Those special digits will be there for you when you pluck that precious cargo from it's slumber the next time. If you look for it too many times, it will not be there for you!

Here's where the pleasure starts...
Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Quest for Perfect Humidity

I don't worry about small fluctuations in humidity. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed.

I just make sure the 65% beads are moist.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

A good set of beads and a little bit of patience is all it takes. Enjoy your new humidor and 65% RH!

Chris.....
Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Now that's a great story Marshall!

You're lucky you don't live down here. The humidity goes UP when I open my humidor!
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
RazzBarlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I don't worry about small fluctuations in humidity. Cigars are meant to be enjoyed.

I just make sure the 65% beads are moist.
Subtlety is kinda lost on you, isn't it? That kinda was the point of my long story.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
Subtlety is kinda lost on you, isn't it? That kinda was the point of my long story.
It is the afternoon and I am not awake yet
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Very entertaining...thanks for the post of your quest!!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Good Beads & Accurate Hygro then smoke more and worry less. Been there and it will drive you crazy and really not that big of a deal. Also, the more you play peek-a-boo with the hygro the worse the problem will be.

I am no expert for sure but been fooling around with the disease for a long time and seems that as long as you stay 60% - 70% no harm will be done. Ideally 65%-70% range is great, I try to keep it around 67% to allow for fluctuations. There will always be fluctuations of a couple of points no matter what system you use, especially if you are opening and peeking.

Again, expert idea - Smoke more and worry less!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for sharing a great story... We've all been there and can certainly identify with every word. After a while you won't care about the numbers nearly as much... just if you cigars are smoking like you want.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

nice dog

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
RazzBarlow

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
nice dog
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #13
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Very entertaining read My bead expert is Shilala and nobody does beads like him! Nobody.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Well written. I got a chuckle or two.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Great read and solid beads!

Too bad most hyrgros don't have decimal places, huh?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #16
sepp
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Glenn
Trading: (0)
sepp is on a distinguished road

Well done! Nice Read.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Fantastic post that takes me back to the days of getting my first humidor. Now I try to keep it in the 60's but I'm not too concerned about it reading dead on. My vinotemp no longer cools, but it holds humidity LIKE A CHAMP. The RH basically doesn't change unless you open the door - it sat on 68% for almost an entire year. My vicksburg humidor has to be re-hydrated every few weeks in the winter and less often in the summer. I use 65% beads.
Anyway, just want to say again - great post, really enjoyed it.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Great post. Pretty much summarizes everyone's first experience with a humidor and cigars. Today, I'm pretty sure two of my 5 hygrometers have dead batteries, another one fell to the bottom of a cooler and the other two are just kinda there for kicks. Trust in the power of the Force! Beads are the answer.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Been there too. To an extent. I find that a lot of cigars in a humi, or cooler tend to regulate the humidity as well as anything else.

Seriously.

At least that's my excuse.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
I get a new, bigger humidor from Waxing Moon. It's a beauty!
Talk about a beautiful way to upgrade your first humi!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post

Too bad most hyrgros don't have decimal places, huh?
Sadomasticist
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote