Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation
Default Opinions regarding Mexico?

Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

What is your perception of Mexico?

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico?

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opinions regarding Mexico?

A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I want to see more of the USA before I venture out of the States.

No, unless you stay in one of those vacation "compounds" I've heard about.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?
Plus: Many that have vacationed there loved it. Minus:safety and the chaos one hears about. Also the fact that water is unpotable.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

I used to go to Mexico all the time with my family as a kid; San Felipe, Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas were all great places for fishing and relaxing. Even up to five years ago I would have felt perfectly safe. My uncle lives in Cabo San Lucas half the year and I know that town is perfectly safe. I would probably go to Cancun and stay on the resorts, but every report I hear from the state department is to not leave the resorts. I wouldn't travel anywhere near Ciudad Juarez if you paid me, all accounts make it sound like a war zone. Tijuana is only 30-40 miles from my home but I can't justify going down there just to pick up some smokes when the cartels are waging war on a corrupt and incompetent police force. I'm sure that most of Mexico is still largely unaffected by those pundejos, but when there are lots of other sun-drenched, inexepensive getaways to choose from, and with our own state department advising us to stay away, it's hard to get excited about a Mexican getaway.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Gracias por tus respuestas hotreds. Te agradezco mucho hermano.

Thanks aki.
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war. Not safe to visit.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No. Why go to Mexico when I could just go to the Caribbean and be safer.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I would rather go back to the Caribbean, Hawaii or another country.

Plus: Many that have vacationed there loved it. Minus:safety and the chaos one hears about. Also the fact that water is unpotable.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #6
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

I've been to Mexico at least a dozen times fishing and relaxing...Best time I had and nicest location by far was Riviera Maya...I also enjoyed visiting Playa and walking thru the streets.
Cigarcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

No chance in hell would I ever go there.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

We are planning on Riviera Maya for the winter holidays for a belated honeymoon, have to do some serious number crunching though. Can't wait.

Perception: No preconceptions, going open minded.

Vacation: Absolutely, see above.

Safety: As long as we are in the places we are supposed to be in no worries at all.

Pluses: Money goes further, shorter flights, less weather worries - hurricanes, etc.

Minuses: Ask we when we get back.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
What is your perception of Muexico?
A country in chaos with the drug cartels winning the war. Not safe to visit.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? No. Why go to Mexico when I could just go to the Caribbean and be safer.

If not, why?
Safety, and, frankly, I would rather go back to the Caribbean, Hawaii or another country.

Pretty much this. As perspective I work with mexicans. Some born in Mexico all with family in Mexico. None are going to Mexico. Their own family members are telling them not to come.

I have family who have timeshares there and I could go for free. They are not using it. They are scared.I would not go. I dont want to worry on vacation thats not a vacation. Who wants to worry about being killed or kidnapped ransomed and killed in the end on vacation. As someone in law enforcement who has a fair amount of info on the situation. HELL NO! If I was going to vacation in Mexico it will be after the gov wins the war. Lets be honest that wont happen and if it does it will be 5 plus years.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
Pretty much this. As perspective I work with mexicans. Some born in Mexico all with family in Mexico. None are going to Mexico. Their own family members are telling them not to come.

I have family who have timeshares there and I could go for free. They are not using it. They are scared.I would not go. I dont want to worry on vacation thats not a vacation. Who wants to worry about being killed or kidnapped ransomed and killed in the end on vacation. As someone in law enforcement who has a fair amount of info on the situation. HELL NO! If I was going to vacation in Mexico it will be after the gov wins the war. Lets be honest that wont happen and if it does it will be 5 plus years.
I share the same view as you on this. I see pictures almost every day it seems from drug cartel shootouts that the general public doesn't have access to and the scope of the violence is absolutely ridiculous and sick. I have no need to cross the border into that country.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

Sadly, I have to agree with the previous posts. The news from Mexico is really quite bad. Even National Geographic just did a piece on the Death Cults that are part of the drug culture down there.
If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?Probably not. Too many other places to choose from with much less threat of violence.
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico? I used to. As a teenager, my friends and I would drive down to Puerto Penasco from Tempe with no worries at all. Obviously, the border is and always has been a bit sketchy, but there is no way I'd make that same trip now. The Narcos own the border lands. Way too scary.

Plus: Close, major resorts are developed and supposedly safe. Minus: Everything else. The violence, the drug trade, the corruption. Also, for the same $$$ you can go to a Caribbean resort with much less worry. Puerto Rico is a phenomenal alternative, and everything WORKS.
Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Old 09-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I took a cruise with the wife this summer that two of the five destinations were in Mexico. (Cozumel and Costa Maya) Both my wife and I were excited to finally visit Mexico. After visiting both locations we both agreed that Mexico would be one of the last destinations we ever plan for a vacation in the future. Don't get me wrong there were beautiful spots at both places but at both we were actually excited to head back to the ship. For us the most annoying part was the fact that we could not walk down the street without being practically harassed to buy what most would consider junk. Even passing people for the fourth time and saying No thank you the first three you would think they would get the hint when they clearly recognize you since they say things like Are you ready now? I know most people we spoke to on the boat had the same feeling as us and most headed back to the ship early those days. We were at the one shopping mall that the ship recommends in Cozumel and while walking around some guy was following us around. It was when he followed us into the third store that I asked him if I could help him with something and if there wasn't anything I could help him with than he needs to stop following us. The two Mexico destinations were the only two places that my wife didn't feel safe. We both agreed that if we never went back to Mexico(at least the two locations that we visited) it would be too soon. The best part of Cozumel was LCDH and Chankanaab. Had I been able to find LCDH right of way and went straight to Chankanaab right after we may not have had the experiences we had there but we walked around downtown Cozumel for three hours too many and it gave us a bad taste.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Gracias por tus respuestas hotreds. Te agradezco mucho hermano.
Posted via Mobile Device
De nada. Lo siento, pero eso es para mi la realdad en Mexico.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

What is your perception of Mexico? Same as those above; a country in trouble because of the drug lord terrorists.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? I would not rule out Mexico, and have been there within last 6 months.
If not, why?

Would you feel safe in Mexico? Depends on the location. Tourist compounds, yes. Border areas with the U.S. - Not no, but hell no!

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Pluses: History that is as old as many of the world's oldest. The everyday people I have met were more than friendly and welcoming. Very price affordable. Negatives: Drug lords gone off the deep end; a police/military force that has been corrupt for so long that the current drug situation could reach the level it has reached, and a government that is spending it's energies blaming the U.S. for all it's woes, instead of cleaning up it's own problems.

Last edited by SvilleKid; 09-12-2010 at 02:09 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly right now I'm scared to death to venture to Mexico
Old 09-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I took a cruise with the wife this summer that two of the five destinations were in Mexico. (Cozumel and Costa Maya) Both my wife and I were excited to finally visit Mexico. After visiting both locations we both agreed that Mexico would be one of the last destinations we ever plan for a vacation in the future. Don't get me wrong there were beautiful spots at both places but at both we were actually excited to head back to the ship. For us the most annoying part was the fact that we could not walk down the street without being practically harassed to buy what most would consider junk. Even passing people for the fourth time and saying No thank you the first three you would think they would get the hint when they clearly recognize you since they say things like Are you ready now? I know most people we spoke to on the boat had the same feeling as us and most headed back to the ship early those days. We were at the one shopping mall that the ship recommends in Cozumel and while walking around some guy was following us around. It was when he followed us into the third store that I asked him if I could help him with something and if there wasn't anything I could help him with than he needs to stop following us. The two Mexico destinations were the only two places that my wife didn't feel safe. We both agreed that if we never went back to Mexico(at least the two locations that we visited) it would be too soon. The best part of Cozumel was LCDH and Chankanaab. Had I been able to find LCDH right of way and went straight to Chankanaab right after we may not have had the experiences we had there but we walked around downtown Cozumel for three hours too many and it gave us a bad taste.
I guess it just depends on the place and the time! My wife and I were at both those locations in the spring from a cruise, and didn't have a single "hawker" approach us on the streets. Had half a dozen trying to sell me glass-top cuban cigars within the malls, but after disclosing (loudly) to my co-shoppers why these were fakes, They stopped approaching me totally!!! Also, we made excursion plans outside of the normal cruise ship channels, and left the ship after the crush of the main crowd. Wonder if the "hawkers" had already been siphoned off? Don't know if that's a plausible reason for the difference or not. Maybe we looked too muck like the rednecks we are!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #17
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

about as unsafe as it has been for years.
If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?
would much rather go back to Jamaica.
no, but i don't really feel safe in the US either
plus: none. minus: can't drink the water
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

What is your perception of Mexico? It is not safe for Americans due to the fact kidnappings happen constantly.

If not, why?

No. I have been there and was not crazy about it. I would rather vacation in Las Vegas than Mexico

The first time I went there, I did not feel safe. There where locals on the docks of the ports we were at with knifes bigger than me. I have no intentions of going back.

Sorry but I'm just being as honest as I can be.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

A unstable country
If not, why?
I wouldn't want to go somewhere my precious vacation time might be compromised.
No.
Never considered it so I don't know.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I guess it just depends on the place and the time! My wife and I were at both those locations in the spring from a cruise, and didn't have a single "hawker" approach us on the streets. Had half a dozen trying to sell me glass-top cuban cigars within the malls, but after disclosing (loudly) to my co-shoppers why these were fakes, They stopped approaching me totally!!! Also, we made excursion plans outside of the normal cruise ship channels, and left the ship after the crush of the main crowd. Wonder if the "hawkers" had already been siphoned off? Don't know if that's a plausible reason for the difference or not. Maybe we looked too muck like the rednecks we are!!!
That's crazy. When we were there we could not walk more than 2 ft before the next person came started to badger us and it was constant up until we got into the can to go to Chakanaab and even there we would have the occasional person come along trying to sell us authentic glass tops. Like you they started to by pass me when I called them out on being fakes.