Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM   #41
SilverFox

Default Re: Opinions regarding Mexico?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Good day to all:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

What is your perception of Mexico? That it is a country in civil strife with drug cartels and gangs ruling the streets. The govt is striving to bring it under control but there appears to be heavy corruption there as well.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations? It used to be. Now no chance.
If not, why? With three young children the perception of lack of safety is overwhelming. Tourists seem to be victims of violence far more than in other popular destinations.

Would you feel safe in Mexico? No

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination? Being from Western Canada Mexica is the one of the shorter flight distances from our home that can provide a tropical vacation destination. The biggest minus is simple. Whether it is true or not I don't know actual statistics but the perception is it is an unsafe destination. That there is little to know rule on the streets and that there is little if any cooperation with tourists and authorities.

Also the Gov't of Canada has the following travel advisory for Mexico

Canadians travelling to Mexico should exercise a high degree of caution due to occasional demonstrations and protests, high levels of criminal activity and violence throughout the country.

While that may not sound like a huge warning..........in typical Canadian fashion it is downplayed this is the second highest level of travel warning that is submitted.

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Posted via Mobile Device
I know that may of my friends and acquaintances have changed there mind in the recent years about travel to Mexico.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #42
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Perceptions are reality for most. My perception is simple - there are so many alternatives that going there isn't even a consideration based upon the news coverage of the escalating issues coupled with the traditional issues (water and safety). Not fair or even empirically accurate but my behavior is based upon perception and an adjustment based upon reality would only take place if I traveled there again. Not going to do that based upon perception. It's the catch 22 problem for Mexican tourism. For the most part the resort areas are gorgeous and safe, but they are still part of a country that has many parts which are not. On a smaller scale some larger cities in the US have had the same issues. Contain many great areas to visit or live... tainted by a general perception of the region based upon pockets of places that are not. How does a visitor know the difference?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #43
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

What is your perception of Mexico?
Mexico is a Narco state and the government has absolutely no control anymore.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?
No, My wife is from Guadalajara and this is the first year we have not gone to Mexico at least once. Her moms family has a house in musquiz and they will not even travel there from San Antonio. They would make this trip at least twice a month and this year wont travel because locals no how bad it is. Mexicans and tourists don't feel safe in Mexico.

Would you feel safe in Mexico?
No even Mexicans don't feel safe there.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?
Biggest plus use to be a cheap vacation close and easy travel but now the negatives far out weight the positives and there are plenty of places just a cheap and better environment all around. We are now traveling to Costa Rica instead. I would love to go back and let my children see inner Mexico but it is going to be a long time before that can be possible. Once the Mexican Nationals are ready to go back, I will feel more comfortable.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #44
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

My personal perception of Mexico is fairly limited but I have been to Mexico dozens of times when I was living in Tucson, AZ I began dating a pretty little mexican girl. At the time she lived in Tucson, but later on it became apparent that her visa would expire and would not be renewed and shortly thereafter became apparent this would not work. Eventually she moved back. She and I had visited many times to the border town of Agua Prieta (South of Douglas, AZ). It was dirty and run down. Homeless people plagued the streets, I often times saw them eating food off the street or out of garbage cans. Pretty gross, but they never bothered me. I spoke Spanish enough to get around and do what I wanted to do (mostly eating Sonoran Hot Dogs, tortas, tacos and drinking mexican beer). Often times at night you would hear gunfire in the distance. But it was a more rural town than Nogales or Tijuana and obviously infinitely smaller than Cuidad Juarez. I never really had any problems but I always had a watchful eye open, whether out of fear or just trying to safeguard myself against violence I can't be sure. I've been down the coast of the Sea of Cortez quite a ways. Beautiful and awe-inspiring landscape. I've been to Major capital cities such as Hermosillo. The culture of the old parts of the town are quite rich in it's history. Overall I think if you can get past the dirt, the poverty, the crime, the drugs, the violence, the kidnappings, the swine flu... It's an amazing place.

If you were to plan a vacation would Mexico be on your list of potential destinations?
If not, why?

I probably would not consider a vacation to Mexico anytime in the near future mostly because I have already spent a lot of time there and there are other places I'd like to visit. And B) Although I never had any problems, I was also always with a group of locals who knew me well and who I knew well enough and trusted to know how to steer clear of dangerous areas and situations. Going alone as an outsider I would not have that confidence and therefore I would feel uncomfortable, especially if I was bringing my family.

It depends, I have been to Mexico during the bad times and felt perfectly fine... even to the border towns... but I would feel safer in the US. Maybe it's just the feeling of being "home" or knowing that if I really got into trouble I have relatives in Mississippi that wouldn't mind laying the lumber on some folks to get me out of said trouble.

What is the biggest plus and biggest minus that Mexico offers you as a tourist destination?

Food and Drink. Beautiful exotic locations. And believe it or not... good people. For every gangbanger, druglord, or terrorist that gets on the news for beheading some local mayor or journalist or cop... there are thousands of good Mexican people just trying to make it by through all of the corruption and violence. It's a shame. A damn shame. I really loved Mexico, but my heartfelt opinion to anyone considering going there... is don't go. Or if you do, watch your @$$. Mind your own business and stay clear of going places that you're unsure of.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #45
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

As far as all your questions go I feel I can sum it up in one reply.
I'm an mechanic on a Lear Jet and a bunch of rich folks, we have a one trip scheuled to Montery Mexico next week for one day. both my pilots are sacried to leave the airport and the passengers need armered transport. Not to mention the amount of money in bribes they have to spend just to get of the jet at customs.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #46
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear31MX View Post
As far as all your questions go I feel I can sum it up in one reply.
I'm an mechanic on a Lear Jet and a bunch of rich folks, we have a one trip scheuled to Montery Mexico next week for one day. both my pilots are sacried to leave the airport and the passengers need armered transport. Not to mention the amount of money in bribes they have to spend just to get of the jet at customs.
Mexico is the biggest producer of civilian armored cars.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #47
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Mexico is the biggest producer of civilian armored cars.
Thats sums it up too!
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #48
jkim05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (17)
PL
jkim05 is on a distinguished road

I guess I have a different perspective on travel compared to the majority of the members here. I would travel to Mexico in a heartbeat, especially to any of the tourist towns. Now if I was driving through the border or something, I would carefully consider my options prior to going, but I've been to some pretty rough places around the world and once you're there, they're not as unsafe as often made out to be. Granted you have to behave appropriately and not make yourself a target, but I haven't felt in significant risk anywhere. I also haven't traveled to any active war zones, so I guess I probably don't know what real danger is.

Most of the resort areas in Mexico are so isolated from the rest of the country, it's not even like travelling to the same country.
jkim05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #49
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Good afternoon all,

Thank you for your comments.

Not much to say especially considering what has happened in the last 24 hours in Acapulco and Mexico City.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #50
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough

My answers:

This thread is a bit self-serving as I am working together with the partners of my company to guide us through a pretty rough patch at the moment.

The majority of our business is in Cancun, Cozumel, Playa and Vallarta. Another portion in the Eastern Caribbean.

If I may I would like to ask a few general questions:

Beautiful beaches, nice people.

If not, why?

Yes, in fact we've been talking with our friends about taking a Mexican vacation this winter sometime.

For the most part, yes.

Beaches, sun, warmth, beer, and tequila, oh and the ability to buy cigars from the Island

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Travis
Old 10-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #51
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Good afternoon all,

Thank you for your comments.

Not much to say especially considering what has happened in the last 24 hours in Acapulco and Mexico City.
Scary stuff to say the least. Only been twice, plus one half day visit with the SD crew, doubt i'll ever go back.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #52
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

http://policelink.monster.com/news/a...ered-us-waters

I am still amazed at how many Americans find it suitable to travel into Mexico after tens of thousands are killed annually due to the ongoing cartel wars. Even this couple, traveling on the water, close to the US Border, was attacked and murdered. Its just not safe, I compare it to taking your wife on vacation to Iraq. Why put yourself and your family at such risk?

Unfortunately, a lot of Americans still see Mexico as that fun-loving place to get a cheap vacation, and romanticized by music of relaxing at sandy beaches drinking margaritas and Coronas. Mexico is not safe for even its own citizens, Americans should not be there.

The war down there is no joke and should not be taken lightly. I see this more so than the average american due to my job. I'm serious when I say this country is in complete shambles.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #53
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
[url]I am still amazed at how many Americans find it suitable to travel into Mexico after tens of thousands are killed annually due to the ongoing cartel wars. Even this couple, traveling on the water, close to the US Border, was attacked and murdered. Its just not safe, I compare it to taking your wife on vacation to Iraq. Why put yourself and your family at such risk?
I just saw this news report, that the police office who was investigating the murder of the man mentioned above has also been killed. IMO if the police and military cannot keep the peace, there is no way I want to go there.

LINK
Old 10-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #54
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

One more thought...

I've never been entirely comfortable, personally, with the concept of vacationing nearby to people in poverty. To me it seems heartless to spend what to them is probably a great sum of money to sunbathe, swim, and drink, while they may be scraping to get by. Or, as mentioned in this article, prostituting themselves in order to feed their kids.

LINK

But on the other hand I understand that vacationers spending money provides jobs, so I'm not saying that going there to vacation is wrong. Just something we each need to evaluate personally.