Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #1881
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  14.8 KB

Another Promaster inbound from Japan, stainless steel 300m diver.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #1882
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Nice. How many do you have in your collection?
Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM   #1883
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Nice. How many do you have in your collection?
Only a few, I'm kind of a one in one out guy now, used to have way to many watches!
Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #1884
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Only a few, I'm kind of a one in one out guy now, used to have way to many watches!
I have three that I rotate, four if you count an old Mickey Mouse watch that is in storage.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #1885
HabanosBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (0)
Montecristo CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
HabanosBob is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a Hamilton Pilot Automatic with the black face - wanted to save the $18 shipping so I won't get it 'till next week - pretty much a bargain on Jomashop with $10 off with their promo - similar style as the IWC Pilot (not near as nice) and $600 vs $6000 - retro leather band that I might replace. This makes watch number 23
HabanosBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #1886
HabanosBob
Still Watching My Back

Sent back the Hamilton - too big - got a Nixon Tangent - Costco - it has an indicator for the tides which is helpful when trying to pilot the Duffy under bridges - keeping this one
Old 07-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #1887
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Are Shinola watches any good/collectible. Worried it's just hype - I know nothing about watches.

Wife's family is nuts - she bought a Shinola Arganite 705 w/ 20 mm bracelet for her brother as a peace offering for Christmas. Huge fight last month and I now have it. She can't return it now, but I don't wear watches.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/therunwe...FQumaQodauIBBA

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watch-st...-bracelet.html
Old 07-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #1888
HabanosBob
Still Watching My Back

Shinola's been around only a few years - I don't own one but like the styles - I did notice Costco in California just started carrying them in the last month or so - that speaks to Shinola's ability to handle both volume and returns - doubt it'll be collectible - if you have to, there's always ebay - turn the watch into cigars!

Sorry about the family feud - life is way to short - maybe a vintage cigar with your brother in law - Good luck!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #1889
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

He's a real sh*t bird - I stay out of it. Thankfully it's probably over, my wife's sacrificed enough.

Beyond styling, and If not collectible - is it a quality watch? Good components, movement, workmanship, well made, etc
Old 07-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #1890
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

My wife (with the help of a good friend who owns a jewelry store) surprised me with this for my birthday. It wasn't even remotely on my radar and the custom panda speedy I had made and posted here a few years ago still gets more wrist time, but this one makes me smile every time I put it on.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #1891
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarue View Post
Are Shinola watches any good/collectible
I owned one and then sold it a year later. Got it on a Disney cruise two years ago. I really knew nothing about watches.....still don't really, but I know what I like and what I don't like more than I did when I bought that watch.

It was a bit big for my liking and honestly, today, I could never see paying that kind of money for a quartz watch. I prefer my Orient all black Mako a lot more, and for a fraction of the price......just something about knowing it doesn't have a battery in it....old school.

I'd say treat it like anything. If you like it and you like wearing it....then keep it....if you don't and its just going to sit in a drawer....sell it.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #1892
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

On another note, I purchased, about 6 months ago off eBay, a seiko pepsi diver from 1977 (my birth year). Seller sells quite a few refurb seiko's there and said what he had done, but like anything, he does it as a side job/hobby and can't guarantee....plus he's in Australia.

Anyways, if I take it off for any longer than about 9-10 hours, it will stop.....I also have noticed a few times in the last 6 months, that after a day where I may not have worn it much, it may be ticking when I put it on, but may stop later that morning....like it just isn't winding as much.

Any place you can suggest I send it in for a complete service/repair? I found a local guy who has a great reputation, but he does it out of his house and everything is by appointment only. I'm kinda afraid I'll be in the same boat if something happens a year from now.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #1893
HabanosBob
Still Watching My Back

The Shinola is made well enough to keep if that's a consideration and you like the style. The arganite 705 is the movement (quartz) and they put it in a lot of their watches - which one (model) do you have?
Old 07-30-2016, 08:53 PM   #1894
HabanosBob
Still Watching My Back

In LA we have a jewelry district with lots of old school watch repair guys - sounds like the Seiko needs a service and a watch winder
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 PM   #1895
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabanosBob View Post
The Shinola is made well enough to keep if that's a consideration and you like the style. The arganite 705 is the movement (quartz) and they put it in a lot of their watches - which one (model) do you have?
In my post above I put the hyperlinks for both the watch and the band. It's a 41 mm runwell - silver case with a black face and white lettering. I really like the band. I also included that hyperlink - it's the 20 mm stainless bracelet
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #1896
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack View Post
On another note, I purchased, about 6 months ago off eBay, a seiko pepsi diver from 1977 (my birth year). Seller sells quite a few refurb seiko's there and said what he had done, but like anything, he does it as a side job/hobby and can't guarantee....plus he's in Australia.

Anyways, if I take it off for any longer than about 9-10 hours, it will stop.....I also have noticed a few times in the last 6 months, that after a day where I may not have worn it much, it may be ticking when I put it on, but may stop later that morning....like it just isn't winding as much.

Any place you can suggest I send it in for a complete service/repair? I found a local guy who has a great reputation, but he does it out of his house and everything is by appointment only. I'm kinda afraid I'll be in the same boat if something happens a year from now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have the "Colonel Pogue" Seiko 6139 chronograph. My Dad bought it on R&R in Hong Kong when he was in Vietnam.

http://blog.dreamchrono.com/2013/11/seiko-6139-pogue/

I cannot keep that thing from running slow, the date/time Windows being off, the stop watch not resetting, etc etc. I am not going to spend any more money trying to get it repaired. I just wear it as a bracelet sometimes. I love the look of it but it just is not reliable.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #1897
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I have 2 watches I wear regularly - a Bernardt Officers watch and a Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage Red. Love them both. The Bernhardt is built in the USA with Swiss components, and the Steinhart is Swiss made. When I'm camping or fishing I wear a Casio G-Shock.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #1898
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

The Ocean One is a nice watch
Old 08-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #1899
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
My wife (with the help of a good friend who owns a jewelry store) surprised me with this for my birthday. It wasn't even remotely on my radar and the custom panda speedy I had made and posted here a few years ago still gets more wrist time, but this one makes me smile every time I put it on.

That's some watch! Very nice!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:05 PM   #1900
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post

That is stunning