Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Comic Books (Like I need another slope)

I've recently re-discovered my love of comic books. I hadn't bought one since about '82; that's when the X-Men story arc I was into got just too convoluted and difficult to keep up with, with all the other titles I had to buy in order to get the whole story. Now, with all the Marvel movies and television shows, as well as all the other TV shows referencing comics, I thought I'd take a look back. The wife is a full-on Marvel geek-ette. This time, I've decided to focus on war comics, mostly because they have complete, non-serialized stories. I don't think I'll gather a huge collection; just a choice selection. Of course, I like the Naval variety best and I'm starting out collecting all 18 issues of DC's Capt. Storm. I got the wife a subscription to Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Rocket Racoon for me. The wife's birthday is coming up in June and I got her a copy of Tales of Adventure #77 (Iron Man and Capt. America) with the first appearance of Peggy Carter (she loves that character).

Has anyone else applied their hunter-gatherer skills to the pursuit of picture books?

Last edited by Subvet642; 04-07-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Comic Books (Like I need another slope)

Back about the time Gutenberg invented The Fantastic Four I read a lot of comics, mainly your standard DC superheroes but also war comics like Capt. Storm and The Haunted Tank. Then, in drug-addled college daze, me and my afro'ed bro Luke Cage tripped into Marvel with the likes of Thor, Hulk, and Dr. whoa Strange. Following a long hiatus, Superman's untimely passing brought me back into the fold as a celebrant in comic's version of the cigar boom . . . a sad and frightful time indeed, Spawn-ing many new players and stirring up much foolishness. (Anybody remember pogs? No? I didn't think so, and that's good.) Thus, as delight mutated into disgust, I again followed Stan Lee's footsteps into the sunset, save for an annual raid on Free Comic Book Day.

A few years back, hearing of the ire and anger from the faithful vented towards DC for daring to publish a Before Watchman series . . . hey, Moore-heads are as loyal as any Gaimanite or Whovian, and meaner too, like Alan . . . my contrarian nature sucked, or suckered, me back in. Yes, I did the DC and Marvel thing, and still dip my toe into a smattering of their titles, but as both rely too much now upon multi-issue multi-title multi-month events now, forcing a reader to mortgage the house in order to get the whole story, I now find my geek mainly with the bit-players of pulp fiction, your non-standard valiant dark horse images of the genre. Not only are their offerings more focused and constrained, making them more affordable, they are also more literary and mature, two things (well, at least ONE thing) I myself am today. And Wednesdays, without fail, remain New Comic Book Day.

Or, short answer: Yes.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #3
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I would suggest subscribing to Marvel Unlimited. It's pretty much Netflix for Marvel titles. Almost the whole X-Men run is on there, as well as The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, well more than I could read in a read in a lifetime.
But it's a good way to read rare comics I could never afford in real life.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

There's also a number of places you can read comics free. For instance:

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

https://digital.darkhorse.com/free/

https://www.comixology.com/free-comics

http://www.drivethrucomics.com/index.php

There's more, but that oughta keep you busy for a bit.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #5
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Thanks guys! I've looked at Marvel Unlimited but I want to avoid the super heroes because I'm already following the movies and TV shows. I opted for a Rocket Racoon subscription because I know nothing of the franchise and therefore can't be disappointed. One thing that strikes me is the modern cover art; It's like they're trying to be "artsy". I miss the old gaudy colors and graphics. I got 10 Capt. Storm comics in the mail today so I've got to get them in bags tonight.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

So if I read you right, Darren, here's your Thing.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/bring...one-1696025035

Old 04-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
So if I read you right, Darren, here's your Thing.

http://observationdeck.io9.com/bring...one-1696025035

As long as they didn't try to go high-brow, that would rock!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

High-brow? From a superhero who's catchphrase is "It's clobberin' time!"? Not bloody likely.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
High-brow? From a superhero who's catchphrase is "It's clobberin' time!"? Not bloody likely.
What I mean is, I would hope they kept it old-school with the graphics and such. However, I may start accumulating the vintage ones.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #10
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

As you've likely discovered, there's not much of a "collector's market" for titles like Capt. Storm, meaning you can acquire these vintage titles for a relatively small investment. The same is true for stuff like this, so you could probably find them for a buck or three each.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 AM   #11
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
As you've likely discovered, there's not much of a "collector's market" for titles like Capt. Storm, meaning you can acquire these vintage titles for a relatively small investment. The same is true for stuff like this, so you could probably find them for a buck or three each.
I just scored a dozen nice copies of Two in One on the 'bay for about $15, delivered, thanks for the tip!
I've found that Capt. Storms can be a bit pricy for nice copies. I'm guessing that they may not have been very popular, hence the short 18 issue run. Having been a Sailor, they appeal to me. I got ten in the mail just yesterday and have five more coming, two are doubles. The ten cost me about $80, delivered. I've seen VF/VF+ singles go for $35, $60 and $100. There's a sharp drop off at VG+/Fine; in the $15 neighborhood, and that's where I'm hovering.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Nice score on those old Marvels, brother. Glad to be of "help" pushing you further down the slope.

Didn't realize that Capt. Storm had increased in value so much. Must be a recent boost, as they were all-but worthless before. Guess it's a good thing I bagged and boarded my old ones years ago.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I used to read G.I. Combat when I was a kid. Loved me some Haunted Tank!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

This one's for you, Andy.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-001
Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #15
the nub
Papa Chino

LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

have you ever heard of the Mile High collection? I only read the story today but heard about it ages ago when I was a kid collecting comics. Fascinating read- comic shop owner gets a call to haul away treasure trove of "old books" destined for the dump. Tens of thousands of Golden Age comics- every comic book printed from 1937- to the late 40's plus more.

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg12.html
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Fascinating story. A mile too long, but fascinating.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I used to read G.I. Combat when I was a kid. Loved me some Haunted Tank!
I also got eleven of those in the mail last week along with ten Weird War Tales; nice copies, cheap. I'm in "hunter gatherer" mode. Whee!
Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #18
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I need to get current on The Walking Dead, last issue I read online was #134 or #135, just read they are up to #141
Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
I need to get current on The Walking Dead, last issue I read online was #134 or #135, just read they are up to #141
Actually, #140 hit the shops yesterday, so you're not quite that far behind.

And no, though I grabbed a number of Image titles this NCBD, this was not one. I don't do zombies.

Here's the latest Image link.

https://imagecomics.com/comics/new-r...13d5-156455117
Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #20
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Actually, #140 hit the shops yesterday, so you're not quite that far behind.
Lol, ok thanks