Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default New to pipes - looking for something sweet

I'm new to pipe smoking in general. I've been smoking cigars off-and-on for several years and more earnestly (daily during the week) for the past 4-5 months. I smoke mostly sweet-tip cigars like Drew Estate Naturals, Baccarat, Flor de Oliva natural, Diamondback, etc.

I've decided to experiment with pipe smoking as well mainly out of curiosity but also in conjunction with some great memories of the scent of my uncle's cherry pipe smoke.

As suggested, I've started out with a Missouri Meerschaum Legend and a pouch of Prince Albert. I don't think I'm having much problem packing & lighting, but the taste seems fairly dry with a little bit of an ashy aftertaste, almost like the one cigarette I've smoked in my entire life.

I'm looking for something sweeter, moister, heavier, and with more flavor... though what particular flavor I'm unsure. Any suggestions, either OTC or otherwise? I would guess one of the Captain Black blends, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, or something like that? I picked up 1oz of a few different flavored aromatics from a local smoke shop, but I'm going to sit on those until I hear what you guys suggest for a beginner like myself.

Thanks in advance!
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to pipes - looking for something sweet

Erinmore Flake or University Flake. Not aromatics, which taste horrible but smell good. But Quality tobaccos with slight toppings. Can't go wrong with either.
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

There are many aromatics which do taste as they smell. Remember,taste is subjective. I would try a few of boswells,pipeworks and wilke,dan tobacco to list a few.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I broke down and tried one of the tobacco shop aromatics I bought... I'm nearly positive that it is Altadis Bulk Maple Cavendish. It was better than the PA, but I had to smoke it quite hot to get much of the maple flavor which, inevitably, led to some bite. Still dryer in the mouth than I expected, though I could see condensation in the bit. Overall taste was similar to the PA, but I could catch a hint of the maple in the after taste.

My cob pipe (Missouri Meerschaum Legend) has charred a bit after only 3 lightings with a butane soft flame... is this normal, or could this be the source of some of the ashy taste I'm picking up?

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Hope you find something. Of all the aromatics I tried in my 30+ years of pipe smoking, only a couple stayed in my cellar.

Two Friends Celtic Mist
Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (and I mix that with McClelland 5100 in a 50/50 ratio)

I have tried some of the other Cornell & Diehl aromatics, and they seem to exhibit some of the flavors they are trying to claim, but for the most part, aromatics (even the 2 mentioned) only get the rare appearance in my smoking rotation. And then, it is usually for the sake of others, not myself.

I have never had an aromatic taste as good and/or sweet as it smells in the tin.

If you want sweet for your tastebuds, then get into Virginias.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
If you want sweet for your tastebuds, then get into Virginias.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

The char is more than likely just from the initial few bowls out of the pipe. New pipes, especially cobs, will tend to give a fairly burnt flavor when smoking for the first few bowls, you just need to let it build up some carbon on the inside to start the cake. Cobs typically come around for me in 10 or so bowls
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
The char is more than likely just from the initial few bowls out of the pipe. New pipes, especially cobs, will tend to give a fairly burnt flavor when smoking for the first few bowls, you just need to let it build up some carbon on the inside to start the cake. Cobs typically come around for me in 10 or so bowls
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

I know a Planta has some good aromatics. Also from what I hear C & D Founding fathers is an aromatic even non aromatic smokers like.
Its expensive but you could always do what i did when i first started pipes keep on buying stuff and try it sit on it for a few years and revisit it after your palet and mind set may of changed.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Anything worth trying OTC/Drug Store that is on the particularly sweeter side?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

Carter Hall and Prince Albert
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
Anything worth trying OTC/Drug Store that is on the particularly sweeter side?

Thanks!
No! Again, the problem is that aromatics - tobaccos with flavoring that you smell when you nose the tobacco - do not translate to sweetness or even flavor that is tasted by the smoker. The flavoring/top note may be exhibited in the aroma that is evident to those around you, or to your own nose, but will not come across on the taste buds.

And even in those rare cases when the flavoring does come across on the taste bud, it is rarely sweet.

If you are looking for "SWEET" tobaccos, you need to try Virginias and Virginia/Perique blends. Those are the sweetest tobaccos to the palate of the smoker.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

I was at the grocery store and they had Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic pretty cheap ($3.75/pouch) so I figured it was worth a shot. So far it's the closest I've found to what I'm looking for from a handful of OTCs and a few bulk aromatics. The SWRA is something I could smoke every day and maybe even mix in 50/50 with the bulk aromatics I have on-hand. A pure Virginia is next on my list, either when I stumble on one locally or smoke through what I already have on-hand.

On a different not, I've notice almost every smoke feels "steamy" in my mouth compared to a cigar... I also see a good bit of condensation inside the bit/stem of my pipe. I'm assuming this is a function of pipe tobacco being stored at a higher moisture and maintaining much more of that moisture from sealed/bag storage. Is this normal, does it have to do with how I'm smoking, and is there anything I can do to get a "dryer" smoke?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Zanaspus
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tony
Trading: (3)
Zanaspus will become famous soon enough

Much as I love pipes, it honestly sounds like what you're looking for is a hookah.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Tony a bit here, you seemed determined to get your tobacco at the drug store, lol, so SHORT of
a good Virginia, a Hookah might be a very good route, not one to take as a joke or anything. 1 Billion
middle-easterners can't all be wrong. Of course just try to walk into a drugstore and find a cheap corncob
HOOKAH....not going to happen. But there are ethnic stores in every large city where all they DO is import
thousands of Hookahs for sale to us impressionable Americans, so you ought to be able to do alright. And I
would imagine there is a great Hookah thread right here in the old Asylum to boot. I think even JR has started
to stock Hookah tobacco.

I DO love a good Virginia blend, that Anniversary Cake is pretty good and I do love the Escudo, but it's strong
and not so cheap.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Bad Finger

Actually sweet: 1Q by Lane, Butternut Burley, Scotty's Milk and Honey, Sunday Morning.

Sweeter, but not sweetened: Gawith Firedancer Flake, PS Pistachio, Gawith Sweet Rum Twist.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
dhaus
Just in from the Storm

dhaus is on a distinguished road

Vanilla cream and plum cake taste and smell delicious. (to me). Watch the bite. It doesn't bother me, but some complain they get serously bitten from these.
dhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #18
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

C&D cherry cavendish. LOVED it when I first started the pipe. In fact, I need to buy some to revisit. I've been heavy into Latakia lately.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

[quote=shopkins82;1673607]
I'm looking for something sweeter, moister, heavier, and with more flavor...
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopkins82 View Post
and is there anything I can do to get a "dryer" smoke?

Thanks again everyone!
This is confusing? Are you seeking a "moister" or "dryer" smoke? Is it me missing the point?
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 AM   #20
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

Virginia flakes.
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote