Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 01-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Cigary

Default Flexplay self-destructing DVDs

Has anyone else heard about these and what do you think about them? I was at Staples and they had these self destructing DVD movies and what they are is movied that once exposed to the air have about 48 hours on them to watch the movie and then they "self destruct",,,,I thought this was great since they only cost me $1.98 per movie and there is no mailing or taking a movie back. What does anyone else thing about this idea?
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flexplay self-destructing DVDs

I have never heard of this. Seems rather wasteful though.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

They've been out for a little while and haven't heard much about them really catching on.

Do you not have those Red Box vending machines near you? They only cost $1 to rent.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I still think NetFlix is the best way to go. Of course there are websites that will allow you to watch current movies online. They are not always of the best quality but it is free.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #5
Cigary

The thing I like about these is that when you travel like I do you can take it with you and not ever have to worry about getting it back thru the mail or taking it back to the store. The Vending machines are nice but you get it for one day and if you are late you pay another $1 per day plus the time to take it back to the store.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

That is a pretty cool idea. Saw them today for the first time in Staples. Great idea for travelling and they are cheapter than Blockbuster.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
TheJ

I'm not green by no means, but seems like a lot of waste.

What happens if you're interrupted and can't get to the rest of the movie for a few days? It took me four days to re-watch Ghostrider a couple of weeks ago. Don't know why I did. I didn't enjoy it the first time.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Cigary

Once it is exposed to the air you have like 48 hours to watch,,,that is what I was told. I dont think I would pay over a $1 for it,,,but the wife thought it was great.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell987 View Post
That is a pretty cool idea. Saw them today for the first time in Staples. Great idea for travelling and they are cheapter than Blockbuster.
If you are traveling....... Redbox makes good sense, If you go an hour without seeing a McDonalds wherever you travel, you are probably on foot.
Pick up at one Redbox, return at another. What doesn't make sense there, right? Just had some friends drive to Fl from MN. They said it worked exquisitely. And at a buck a shot? No brainer.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
If you are traveling....... Redbox makes good sense, If you go an hour without seeing a McDonalds wherever you travel, you are probably on foot.
Pick up at one Redbox, return at another. What doesn't make sense there, right? Just had some friends drive to Fl from MN. They said it worked exquisitely. And at a buck a shot? No brainer.
I remember seeing these at Staples but I'd rather pick Redbox. Between McDonalds and Walmarts, there's several choices to return them. Plus, having a bunch of discs in the trash would be extremely wasteful.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I had never heard of Redbox before...just checked their website and the closest one is over 15 miles away. But, Redbox does sounds like a great idea when traveling as you mentioned! Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
TheJ

They only have the Redbox at the Walmarts out here. No show at the McD.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Has anyone else heard about these and what do you think about them? I was at Staples and they had these self destructing DVD movies and what they are is movied that once exposed to the air have about 48 hours on them to watch the movie and then they "self destruct",,,,I thought this was great since they only cost me $1.98 per movie and there is no mailing or taking a movie back. What does anyone else thing about this idea?
sounds like an excellent way to go green.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Cigary

Quote:
Beautiful,,,wasn't aware that you can do that with Redbox as I thought you had to return it to the same location. Wonder if the wife will give me my dollar back that she overpaid on the "chick flick" she bought and I had to suffer thru watching tonight. Oh the humanity!