Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road
Default Opening a Cigar Lounge

Well inmates I'm opening a cigar lounge soon, I know some of you just rolled your eyes. No this is not an idea, a concept, a plan or pipe dream. I have a location and funding, I should be selling my first cigars before the fall season is over. I'm in that first 100 days and would like to ask questions and have your opinions in this thread. So to begin...

Cigarette smoking, I'm leaning toward signage and such saying "Please Refrain from Cigarette Smoking". Thoughts? What is the policy at your favorite lounge?
Old 10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opening a Cigar Lounge

I am not sure I have see any "no cigarette smoking" signs in any on the B&M lounges in my area, John, but I can't remember seeing anyone smoking cigarettes there either.

Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case. If it is strictly a cigar lounge with soft drinks and coffee, then I wouldn't think it could hurt you at all.

P.S....Great success with the venture!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Will you be allowed to sell alcohol in your lounge? You may be forfeiting some sales with an anti-cigarette policy if that's the case.

P.S....Great success with the venture!
Yes a full alcohol beverage bar once the OK ABLE commission grants my permit, they are notoriously slow.

Thanks for the reply and wishing me well, I won't be selling online but at some point do I need to convert to a Retail Membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum...I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
Scott, thanks for the input. I figured most cigar smokers didn't like being around cigarette smoke, I know I don't. I may be overestimating that whole thing. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by JohnRogers; 10-04-2014 at 02:40 PM.
JohnRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

If you are selling alcohol, I agree with Scott, the less "don't"s, the better.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'd have a "philosophical" problem with banning cigarette smokers. I no longer indulge, but I know many cigar smokers who smoke both. Plus, I herfed with Lew Rothman at JRs Whippany on several occasions, and he himself, one of the most powerful men in the cigar business, would normally smoke cigs.

You should feel free to do as you choose, but choosing to restrict the freedom of others in your choice seems odd to me. Just sayin'.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Good luck on your endeavor. Do other bars in your area allow smoking? If so, then you pribably won't have to worry about cigarette smokers crowding out your target customers. You could require a cigar purchase or charge a table minimum if casual cigarette smokers become an issue.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

The cigar lounges in my area do not allow cigarette smoking.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Frank-D-Tank
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Frank
Frank-D-Tank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I think it's best to keep the "don'ts" to a bare minimum.
To disallow cigarette smoking is borderline senseless when there are umpteen cigars burning, at least in my way of thinking.
I know I certainly wouldn't be offended by anyone smoking a cigarette where smoking is allowed. I'd be happy for the guy. A brother can't smoke a cigarette anywhere nowadays.
This^^

I'm no expert, but from a customer standpoint, most don't want to walk in to a new place and be hit with a bunch of "don't" and "no". I wouldn't worry about it at first. If down the line it becomes a problem, you can always implement the "no cigarettes" later, but I doubt it will be necessary.

Best of luck!
Frank-D-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Put the no cigarette smoking sign in the ladies room, if anyone complains you can direct them to the cigarette free zone
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Put the no cigarette smoking sign in the ladies room, if anyone complains you can direct them to the cigarette free zone
LOL...Thank you all for chiming in I appreciate the very much!
Old 10-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

There are cig smokers in my lounge all the time. I have no issues with it. I can't think of a time where I ever smelled it.

I think the more foot traffic, the better. Especially if serving alcohol, as others pointed out.

Good luck!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

First of all, I commend you brother for opening a lounge and doing something you love. Best of luck!

Second, the alcohol might draw some cig smokers, but if your establishment is primarily known for cigars, I wouldn't worry too much. Like others have said, you probably dont want to exclude groups of folks, but you can always curtail it after the fact if the cigarettes get out of hand. It's ironic, but I typically get dirty looks from cig smokers when I'm lighting a cigar, so you'll want to make sure you cater to the cigar smokers. Just my observation.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

Down here at the B&M I frequent in OKC they do allow cigarette smoking. They dont sell you Marlboros and Winstons but they sell natural cigarettes and loose leaf tobacco to roll your own. Most folks who hangout though dont have issues if some lights up.

Let me know when things are up and running too. Long overdue for that OK herf. What better place than ur place!!
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #15
baust55
AUSTIN

First Name: JAMES
Trading: (1)
baust55 is on a distinguished road

Here in Nebraska there is no public smoking allowed anywhere .....but a few B&M and cigar lounges have an exception ,the law dose not allow cigarettes just cigars .
Old 10-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #16
jhedrick83
GO VOLS!

First Name: Jesse
jhedrick83 is on a distinguished road

The lounges I have been to in TN don't have any restrictions on cigarette smoking and I personally have never smelled them when people have lit up. Like others have said, I would try to encourage as much foot traffic as possible. I wish you the best of luck and post up some pictures as you go!
jhedrick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The lounges in Oregon only allow cigars -- cigarettes and pipes (and vaping) are specifically not allowed as they are considered "chemically treated" tobaccos.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

You're are crazy if you have a sign turning away any business. Making a profit on a cigar lounge is hard enough and turn away anyone is crazy. Most cigar lounges have so much ventilation that it could toxic fumes and you can barely smell it.

You should be thinking more on the lines of "how can I get everyone around smokers or not into my lounge?" Think of ways to broaden the appeal beyond than a place to smoke cigars.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on your new venture! I wish you all the best and success!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #20
Shaneg
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Shane
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Shaneg is on a distinguished road

I would maybe let the staff tell the customers it's 'allowed' but frowned apon, and leave it at that- cigars are one of the last refuges from this don't do this dont do that world we live in, I would hate to see any signage of that sort at the local tobacconist, despite not liking the smell myself.
Shaneg is offline   Reply With Quote