Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: JACK
Trading: (7)
FriendlyMan is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone into Binoculars

Hi,

Anyone here into Binoculars? I know the higer the number the better, I'm not in the mood of reading up on the whole thing right now. But I was intrested in spending up to $100 unless you swear It dosnt pay to pay so little. I do understand it depends what I need it for. Well at the moment not really for anything much. I just want to have something that I can look in to and see really realy far and realy clear. like going to the park with the kids or alone and looking way up in trees, or going over the bridge while on the train and saying wow I can see that car in traffic so clear. While taking my kids on a boat ride and seeing buildings miles miles a way. Any one have any ideas?
I can buy online or go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ they are in NYC.
Or if anyone here has one tht they want to trade for cigars I might be intrested.

thanks,
FM
FriendlyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone into Binoculars

There are several numbers. The first is the magnitifaction, the second is the final optics diameter. The larger the 1st number, the larger the 2nd number should be (more light capture) AND the harder is will be to hand-hold. My personal believe is that 10x magnification is the most anyone should do without tripod assistance (some withsteady hands can swing 12x). At 10x, I feel 50mm is optimal, at 8x I think 40mm is good. So I would recommend a 10x50 or a 8x40. This being said, for casual use $100 can definately buy you good quality. The Nikon action series are fantastic binoculars and for the price cannot be beaten IMHO. You would have to spend 2-3x more then this to get equal quality (these are much better then Bushnell costing 2x for sure).

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-10...lars-7218.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-8x...lars-7216.html

Now, if you want to see the balls on a squirrel from across the valley, you will need a scope+tripod. A lot of people will see you can get 12x50 and even 15-20x50. I really recommend against these... at those magnifications it is impossible to hold them steady. I also am against zoom binoculars (zoom scopes is another story) but they tend to be much heavier and again zoom to the 20x levels which makes hand holding hard.

More then you ever wanted to know about binoculars?
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Lu covered it fairly well, so I'll just add my here. Don't get all hung up on the highest power you can find. Remember, the greater the magnification, the harder it will be for you to hold it steady enough to avoid the shakes. Also, with a higher power comes a more narrow field of view, which will make it harder to keep a moving object in sight. If you want to follow a football play, f'instance, a wider field will better allow you not only to follow the play, but to see it develop both across and down field. And if you want to use the glasses in a low-light situation, you'll find that a lesser power and bigger objective lens works best - a 7X50 is ideal for night use, whereas if you were to go to a 10X pair you'd have to get a 10X80 to have a comparable low-light capability - and you ain't gonna find that for no 100 bucks. Finally, make sure you go somewhere you can actually look through the binocs before you purchase, especially to judge the sharpness and contrast of the design. The advantage of sharpness is obvious, and the more contrast will allow you to focus more easily and securely.

I speak from 40 years as an amateur astronomer, and with over 8 years working in a photo shop that sold binoculars, so I know a bit of which I advise - for a change.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

One other factor that was important to me was eye relief. If you have longish lashes, you'll most certainly be annoyed if you have to bury your eyes into the glass and have lash rub. Long eye relief, while not essential to the view, can make or break the pleasure of a fine pair of binoculars.

My personal preference is 8 power. It give wide angle of view and is easily hand holdable. If you want more durable and perhaps water resistant, go with a roof prism. They'll cost a bit more than porro prism but you might like them best.

I use the fine Nikon 8x32 Superior E porros that are as good as they come. They're certainly not cheap though, but they will last a lifetime.

Here's a great site for reviews.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

Hi, Thank you all for your in put on this, I have most of the day off tomorow I can visit this store. From the link I'm giving you can u please suggest a little list which I start looking at when I get to the store please?

I don't have very big eye brows but I do wear glasses which I guess will need to be removed. And I do think you guys are right, I'd be more in trested in having a more wider/ more to see but at the same time I want it to be close up.

So what do you think?

Bigloo, I'm not sure I'd buy it for that but the Squirrel idea is a good place to start for beginners.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Diesel Kinevel

I have the Nikon 10X42 ATB Binos. Mine are the camo model I paid around $300. They are worth the price. Very clear.

-Zach
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Bruins Fan
Hooper drives the boat.

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
RyJ
Bruins Fan will become famous soon enoughBruins Fan will become famous soon enough

I am happy with my Nikon Sports & Marine 7x50 Waterproof Binocular.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

I checked, bhp has the Nikon Action series. As I said, there are lot better binoculars for $300-1000, but sub-$100, the Nikon Action are great. They also make wide-angle versions for a little more. Go try them out, if you like them and the price is right, all done.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

Ok, I went to Bandh today and checked out the Nikon action as you said. They had the 7x50 Nikon Action on the floor but not in stock but they had it on back order so shipping is free. I got it for 75.81 with tax should get it shipped any day. They did have another brand with the same specs in stock but the sales man talked me in to waiting. He said nikon is great when it come to exchange even if I drop it theyl replace it for me. So I paid for it and ill wait. I just wish it was a little smaller.

Ill keep you all posted.
FM
Old 07-21-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

So this is what I did, I called them yesterday morning they said that it was on back order by Nikon so I asked how long can this take they had no date. So I asked to be connected to sales. I decided to go with the Nikon 7x50 action Extreme, it allmost the same but this one is water proof. it dose cost a little more. I ran there yesterday and picked it up. Its a little big but it pretty light for a thin like this and I love what I'm seeing wow weeeeeeeeeeee. thanks guys.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

Partagas

Enjoy man. You will not be disappointed.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

Amen
Old 07-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #13
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Let us know how that neighbor looks! j/k

I need a setup for my self too.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Goodie for you - Nikon makes good optics, and they should last you several lifetimes.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
FriendlyMan
Still Watching My Back

The neighbor just won't open those shades, I'm living there for ten years.
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
"
'
"
'
"
"
Guess what, She's an old women her high 90's she bearly gets out of bed.

I'm not J/K

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcue View Post
Let us know how that neighbor looks! j/k

I need a setup for my self too.