Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How good are you at judging nicotine levels?
Can judge nicotine content with great sensitivity. 9 21.43%
Completely unable to judge nicotine levels until it suddenly slams you. 12 28.57%
Somewhere in between. 21 50.00%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about
Default Are you a good judge of nicotine content?

Is it just me? Am I the only one who gets surprised by the nicotine buzz from some cigars?

Something must be wrong with my ability to judge how much a cigar is affecting me. I can't tell when I'm getting a nicotine buzz until BLAM I'm pasty white, sweating and nauseous! I've read reviews that said "Cigar X is a little stronger than Cigar Y, and Cigar Z is somewhere in the middle". For me, either a cigar is mild or it kicks my a$$.

As a side note, not many cigars (so far, mind you) have given me that nicotine a$$ whipping - though admittedly I've not smoked any notorious nicotine bombs yet. I have smoked cigars that were labeled "Medium to Full" in their descriptions without any ill effect at all - I'm not just smoking mild cigars here.

I've been giving it some thought. I generally smoke all my cigars the same way: slow and thoughtful. After all, I only smoke one or two a week usually so I tend to focus when I'm smoking. I smoke a pipe much more often and, except for my first intro to pipes back in college, I've never, ever had a nicotine buzz from pipes. Also I'm careful not to inhale though an occasional partial inhale happens due to laughing, talking, etc, while smoking.

There's another possible factor at play here: I smoked two packs of cigarettes a day for almost 10 years before quitting them cold-turkey in January of 2002. Maybe all those years of nicotine skewed my judgement.

Anyway, what about you guys and gals? Are you super-sensitive and able to judge nicotine levels on a scale of 1 to 10? Are you totally insensitive like me and either don't get any buzz or get slammed? Or are you somewhere in between?

I am curious to see your responses. I'm a bit puzzled about this.

Thanks for reading this post!

Last edited by TheTraveler; 07-17-2009 at 09:24 PM.
TheTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice
Default Re: Are you a good judge of nicotine content?

What's a nicotine Buzz??
Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

I can judge very mild and when it becomes very strong. Everything in between is just groovy.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Nicotine doesn't really affect me anymore. It just helps me relax. The more nic the cigar has, the more relaxed I get.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I fear my sensitivity varies with the fullness of my belly, and vacillates between 0 and 11 on your scale.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Except under specific circumstances, I don't tend to get much of a nicotine buzz if any, no matter what gets stuck in my hand at herfs where the puffing is nonstop for many hours. Those circumstances are a combination with too much alcohol, caffeine or junk food (my tolerance for all those things is fairly low) or a very empty stomach to the point that I'm already light-headed. In that case, some buzz can kick in, but I am usually aware of it pretty quickly.

Rob's Tat110 that I had a number of puffs on last night did actually hit me noticeably, and I could tell immediately that it was hitting me. But I also hadn't eaten anything since breakfast due to being slammed with website work, so that was definitely a factor. Skipping lunch + smoking a very strong cigar = some buzz.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
fairwind

Cool Re: Are you a good judge of nicotine content?

I know exactly what you have described. It normally happens to me if I keep the cigar in my mouth and it gets really wet. Then the nicotine gets me.

There is one brand that has kicked my butt each time and that's Cu-Avana Impreso. These cigars live up to that name Impreso.

Dan
Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
I can judge very mild and when it becomes very strong. Everything in between is just groovy.
Yup yup!!

I can usually judge very strong by the intensity of my hiccups!!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

I'm also a terrible judge when it comes to determining the nicotine strength of a cigar. I notice it only when it's to late and I'm really feeling it. Luckily that's doesn't happen all that often to me.
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #10
fairwind

Cool Re: Are you a good judge of nicotine content?

I need to always put on my glasses - I meant Cu-Avana Intenso. But I was very Impreso'd.

Dan
Old 07-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Not a great judge of nic content, but I can tell when it's sneaking up on me.
An hour later, when I finally drop the stick, my intuition proves accurate and my face turns green.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #12
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

A good nicotine whack doesn't often catch me by surprise, but when it does it's usually because I've disrupted my relaxed 'zoning'. If I knock back a spicy double corona over two hours, I may feel it when I stand up and re-circulate the blood. This is in addition to the regular sudden-activity blood-rush effect.

Doctorossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
flat6nut

Cant answer the poll for lack of choices, because I never get any hint of a buzz from anything. Perhaps it is because I smoke cigerettes. I can smoke the strongest thing you got on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning and feel absolutely nothing.

I am wanting to quit smoking cigerettes, so I am sure that once I do I will either start inhaling more of my cigars or start feeling a buzz. I know the "buzz" feeling though....I have quit smoking before.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch View Post
What's a nicotine Buzz??

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

I can have a bad nic reaction after 3 to 4 sticks if I'm not eating tons of junk food/cookies and they are back to back. When I first started smoking cigars, I smoked 3 back to back and puked all over my friends car.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #16
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Strong nic ciagrs I can tell from the first 3 - 5 puffs. The nic causes the back of my throat to constrict and all gets tight. If I persist, I can get the neausa, sweats, etc. The strong nic cigars provide me with no pleasure at all.

I have had some great tasting sticks I tried to work through but in the end were not worth it due to the discomfort the nic put me into.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all for your responses.