Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #2101
Outlaw God
John 3:16

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (2)
Outlaw God is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

What makes a cigar that's goes out for an hour and you come come back to it bitter?
Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #2102
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw God View Post
What makes a cigar that's goes out for an hour and you come come back to it bitter?
The gases in the cigar that got left inside when the cigar went out. It is always best to purge (blow through it) if you know you are going to set it down for a bit.

Also, when you pick up a cigar that has been sitting you should purge it a time or two before re-lighting.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #2103
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by pnoon; 07-24-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Reply to spammer
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #2104
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Proud member of the GMCGTPWHAFA

Last edited by pnoon; 07-24-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Reply to spammer
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #2105
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Last edited by pnoon; 07-24-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Reply to spammer
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #2106
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

My butt itches.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #2107
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The gases in the cigar that got left inside when the cigar went out. It is always best to purge (blow through it) if you know you are going to set it down for a bit.

Also, when you pick up a cigar that has been sitting you should purge it a time or two before re-lighting.
Great explanation, thanks brother!
Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #2108
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
I totally agree. You have to heal between the floors or you will max your credit cards. How often do we forget this?
Only determinable by the set APR of the GNU. Without that, you'll end up paying prime plus 3%. And either way you look at it, it's a lose-lose for all Bjorks involved.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #2109
Outlaw God

What the heck are you guys talking about?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #2110
mk05
Have My Own Room

mk05 will become famous soon enough

where do i sign up for the credit card?
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2111
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
where do i sign up for the credit card?
One must have good and true chi before applying for the cards. Only amazing energy can withstand the spending power of the GNUs.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #2112
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
loud noises!!!!!
Well, I do love me some lamp! Killed a guy with a trident once, too.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #2113
Outlaw God

I notice a lot of you who store cigars in large humidors right in there boxes and wondered if that allowed them to be stable in RH properly?

Also I see some here store cigars in plastic vacuum bags and if that allowed them to be stable in RH properly also?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #2114
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I think most people use boxes just to simplify the storage of their cigars. Also, keeping the cigars in the original boxes allows you to remember what they are and maybe when you got them (e.g., in the case of CC's there are box codes and dates on the boxes; not sure how many NC manufacturers do this). The cedar in these boxes may add to the flavor of a cigar if it is stored (aged) for a long period of time. Not sure that there is any value to the cardboard boxes othen than what I stated above.

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding plastic vacuum bags. I know some people put their cigars in 1, 3 or five "finger" bags -- Ziploc-like bags that have slots (fingers) for cigar storage.

I know alot of people that use five finger bags for safe storage during travels as they are very good at protecting your cigars. Some people also use these in their humidor -- both opened and closed. If the bags are in my humidor they are open.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #2115
Outlaw God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think most people use boxes just to simplify the storage of their cigars. Also, keeping the cigars in the original boxes allows you to remember what they are and maybe when you got them (e.g., in the case of CC's there are box codes and dates on the boxes; not sure how many NC manufacturers do this). The cedar in these boxes may add to the flavor of a cigar if it is stored (aged) for a long period of time. Not sure that there is any value to the cardboard boxes othen than what I stated above.

I am not sure what you are referring to regarding plastic vacuum bags. I know some people put their cigars in 1, 3 or five "finger" bags -- Ziploc-like bags that have slots (fingers) for cigar storage.

I know alot of people that use five finger bags for safe storage during travels as they are very good at protecting your cigars. Some people also use these in their humidor -- both opened and closed. If the bags are in my humidor they are open.

Just my
Like this, thanks brother!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #2116
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Like this, thanks brother!
Doesn't vacuum package do opposite of what you would want? Although the RH would be somewhat stable over a long period, the air helps age the cigar doesn't it? There is zero air transfer here. As the cigar ages, it can still give off ammonia so that would be locked into the cigar. Plus if the stick is shipped to me wet, I don't want it in a vacuum bag wet. I want it to stabilize at the RH I like to smoke them at.

For me, I keep sticks in boxes for long term storage because I believe it manages RH fluctuations better because of the wood (also smells nice) and my humi's are for 5'ers and singles.

Just my theory anyway.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #2117
Outlaw God

I was wondering about the zero air transfer issue, maybe for cigars that has already bend resting for awhile and maybe for transport in your luggage but sure would be great to stop or kill any beetles
Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #2118
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

Montecristo

Quote:
I was wondering about the zero air transfer issue, maybe for cigars that has already bend resting for awhile and maybe for transport in your luggage but sure would be great to stop or kill any beetles
Hmmm, I don't think it will stop a beetle from hatching as all the air isn't removed and there is plenty for a little bug to survive for a while. It would stop the spread for sure but I would rather just freeze my sticks for a short time and be done with it.

It would be good for transport though but have a little 5 Herf-a-dor for that.

Good topic.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #2119
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
Hmmm, I don't think it will stop a beetle from hatching as all the air isn't removed and there is plenty for a little bug to survive for a while. It would stop the spread for sure but I would rather just freeze my sticks for a short time and be done with it.

It would be good for transport though but have a little 5 Herf-a-dor for that.

Good topic.
The vacuum sealed bag would certainly not do any harm to the beetle eggs either, so beetles could still be a problem.

Also, I would worry that the vaccum sealing process could damage the cigars. Some cigar wrappers are very fragile.

Last, I would never transport cigars in my luggage. I always use a travel humidor of some sort and always keep it with me.

Again, just my

Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #2120
Outlaw God

Will stored cigars in box with cellophane wrapping really get proper RH control?