Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #2281
SG-1
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
SG-1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I have to agree with Tom, you seem to worry too much about what might happen, I don't see how this can be relaxing and enjoyable to you.
I'm a very particular person. I analyze everything, follow a specific diet and exercise routine. Maybe I'm a little obsessed with my health lol.

But I don't worry about things if there is a low risk, once a month won't hurt. I go hiking in the ozarks pretty often. I plan on going out tomorrow and enjoying the lake and a cigar. Not while hiking, obviously. I'll find a place to sit and chill.
SG-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #2282
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I follow a specific diet, work out every day, play hockey 4 nights a week.....and smoke 7-10 cigars a week. Doesn't have any effect on my fitness.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #2283
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule #2: It's almost all small stuff.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #2284
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-1 View Post
I'm a very particular person. I analyze everything, follow a specific diet and exercise routine. Maybe I'm a little obsessed with my health lol.

But I don't worry about things if there is a low risk, once a month won't hurt. I go hiking in the ozarks pretty often. I plan on going out tomorrow and enjoying the lake and a cigar. Not while hiking, obviously. I'll find a place to sit and chill.
In an earlier post you claimed you are clueless. Now you say once a month won't hurt. Sounds to me like you are looking for permission or a blessing to indulge - that you've already rationalized any risk you may perceive.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #2285
SG-1
Just in from the Storm

It is partly that and also I figure once a month = 12 times a year, average lifespan is 77, subtract my age 77-18 = 59 cigars give or take.

Over a life time that's negligible. I'd imagine the average person smokes 3-5 a week. That's 156-260 a year, which is more in one year than I'd have in my life.

That is, if I continue to only take one a month. Which this will be #2 for January.
Either way - I'm not worrying about it anymore lol
Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #2286
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

We all justify our own actions. There is no need to justify yours to us or for us to justify ours to you, however please don't use bad math if you must try to justify something.

59 x 12 = 708

5 x 52 = 260

Apparently after 12 years as a cigar lover, I have experienced 4.406 times the lifetimes you will in cigars.

Relax and enjoy it for what it is. We are all headed to the same place. Some will arrive good looking, others will skid in sideways looking bad enough to gag the roto rooter man.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #2287
SG-1
Just in from the Storm

Ah, missed that last bit haha.

Yes we are and life is uncertain anyway so why not enjoy what you can. Well - off to the lake, but first I need to stop by my local tobacco shop =)
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #2288
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
We all justify our own actions. There is no need to justify yours to us or for us to justify ours to you, however please don't use bad math if you must try to justify something.

59 x 12 = 708

5 x 52 = 260

Apparently after 12 years as a cigar lover, I have experienced 4.406 times the lifetimes you will in cigars.

Relax and enjoy it for what it is. We are all headed to the same place. Some will arrive good looking, others will skid in sideways looking bad enough to gag the roto rooter man.

Infinity Enjoyment + Infinity Enjoyment
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #2289
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG-1 View Post
It is partly that and also I figure once a month = 12 times a year, average lifespan is 77, subtract my age 77-18 = 59 cigars give or take.

Over a life time that's negligible. I'd imagine the average person smokes 3-5 a week. That's 156-260 a year, which is more in one year than I'd have in my life.

That is, if I continue to only take one a month. Which this will be #2 for January.
Either way - I'm not worrying about it anymore lol
Enjoy the lake. When you return, you should post an intro and tell us a bit about yourself - age, location, occupation, interests outside of cigars, etc. Give folks a chance to get to know you.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #2290
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

By your math, I was dead 3 years ago. Oh well, carry on My Friends.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #2291
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
By your math, I was dead 3 years ago. Oh well, carry on My Friends.
So that explains the smell?
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #2292
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFlogged View Post
So that explains the smell?
Petunias? No, that's just my regular essense, sweet and lovely.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #2293
SHHO89
Just in from the Storm

SHHO89 is on a distinguished road

When I buy a cigar in a plastic wrapper should I take it out of the plastic wrapper they come in before I put them in my humidor or does that make a difference?
SHHO89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #2294
CamoFlogged
...may I have another?

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
CamoFlogged will become famous soon enoughCamoFlogged will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHHO89 View Post
When I buy a cigar in a plastic wrapper should I take it out of the plastic wrapper they come in before I put them in my humidor or does that make a difference?
Doesn't make a difference, it is your personal preference. It is actually not plastic but cellophane, which allows the cigar to "breath" or pass air. Some folks say your cigar will age faster when the cello is taken off. I keep it on just to protect the stick from damage when rummaging around my singles humi's. Some folks take them off right away. Totally up to you. Have fun.

Oh, and introduce yourself in the New Inmate intro area.

Last edited by CamoFlogged; 01-23-2014 at 06:27 PM.
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #2295
Bankster
Soaking up More than sun

First Name: Josh
Montecristo
Bankster is on a distinguished road
Default Coming Back Home from the Dominican Republic......

Hello. My name is Josh. I am originally from Kansas City and I moved down here to the Dominican Republic about 6 months ago. My wife and I are moving back to the States in March and I wanted to get some advice from a few of you about some good cigars to bring back with me. Between the 2 of us we are able to bring back 200 non-Cuban cigars. We could invest some money in some nice cigars to bring home for resale. Is it tough to re-sale cigars..... or I suppose the better question would be, are there any brands of cigars that are more difficult to get back in the states. I have been on many tours of most of the major cigar companies since I have been here and I have made some good connections and I do not want to return empty handed and miss a good chance to bring some great cigars home for a lot less than I could buy them once I get home. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Bankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #2296
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Josh, I'd suggest you bring back 200 cigars that you really like and can get for better prices than in the States or online.

Reselling cigars isn't tough if you have built a reputation where people trust you, or if you are willing to send the cigars prior to payment. Of course, having something "hard to find", or having better prices than can be had in the States is a factor, but trust (i.e., reputation) is probably the most important factor.

Be advised, one also has to meet reasonable time and participation elements before they can offer anything for sale on this website. There also isn't a lot of love here for people who join this site to sell cigars at a profit (excluding retailers)....just isn't the way things are done in this community.

Good luck with the move, hope you decide to stick around to get to know the good people of the Asylum.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #2297
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Hey all, just wondering, freezing rain storm knocked my power out tues night, greater Philadelphia are has over 500,000 houses out, and I heard it could be as late as Sat or Sun before power is restored. I have not been at my house since yesterday morning and staying at my Fiancé's parents house. I could only assume my house is about 45-55 degrees and my humidors around 50-55 percent, I'm going to stop by and check on the house today but will my sticks be alright for a few days if they get immediate tlc when power is restored?
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #2298
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Gabe...cigars are more resilient than people give them credit for. They should be fine for a few days.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM   #2299
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Gabe...cigars are more resilient than people give them credit for. They should be fine for a few days.
I agree with Mac's wise words. you probably have other things in the house to worry about before the cigars
Old 02-06-2014, 07:54 AM   #2300
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the peace of mind, yea hopefully it's cold enough inside to keep most of my food safe!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote