Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation
Default Speeding ticket. OUCH!!!

A little over a month ago I was lasered going 52 mph in a 35 mph zone. At the time I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal, I would pay the fine and go to traffic school. I hadn’t received anything about the ticket from the court, so today I looked up my violation online and saw the amount of the fine. YIKES! $322 ($312 fine plus a $10 fee for paying it online). What a scam!!! I thought it might cost me a around $150, but this is ridiculous. Anyway, depending on which online traffic school I go to, I’ll have to pay another $25, so this will end up setting me back $347. Man, I could have bought some nice smokes with that. Anyway, I guess I shouldn’t complain because it was (allegedly ) my fault and my insurance won’t take a hit. So, it was just an expensive lesson.

I’m sure some of you have paid more. What’s the most you’ve paid for a ticket?
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
theycallmedan'lboone

Default Re: Speeding ticket. OUCH!!!

$350 for 79 in a 60. Plus 50 dollars for the "class" where they showed video's and turned the lights off-fa-fa...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

$120 if I recall correctly for speeding --- allegedly
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

$250 or so... speeding...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
av8tor152d
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jason
Trading: (21)
RA Army (Disabled Vet)
av8tor152d will become famous soon enoughav8tor152d will become famous soon enough

umm my highest was 680.00 (total of everything in the end) for speeding. Some states get really mad when you are doing 145 in a 65 on a bike.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
Cigary

$425 for doing 80 in a 55 in a Honda Civic no less. I did the traffic school so tack on another $25, lunch $15, gas there and back $10 so the whole thing cost me more than I wanted it to so now I drive like an 80 year old grandmother,,,enjoy driving behind me now everyone!
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
wcktalvrg

Ouch... sucks to hear that Mike. I think most expensive ticket I got was about 220 bucks plus online traffic school for doing 80 on the I5 going to Carlsbad in my new car that I got the day before. This was 3+ years ago now.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tor152d View Post
umm my highest was 680.00 (total of everything in the end) for speeding. Some states get really mad when you are doing 145 in a 65 on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
so now I drive like an 80 year old grandmother,,,enjoy driving behind me now everyone!
That's how I'm going to start driving. Well, at least for the next 18 months before I'm eligible for traffic school again.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Actually, the ticket was $100, so I wasn't too mad.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Last ticket I had was for running a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. I just kind of slowed down and rolled through cause it's in the middle of the woods, no humans for miles, except that day when a State Cop was coming around the corner about 200 yards away.
He got me dead to rights. We talked and he agreed it was petty and senseless, but stop signs are stop signs.
Only cost me about 100 bucks. 110 I think. That was 6 or 7 years ago and I haven't been pinched since. I'm the slowest driver in the world, so they might never get me again unless I fall asleep.

Oh yeah, forgot...
I got a ticket for running a light downtown that I didn't run. Had a whole carful and everyone agreed. It wasn't even close. I'm not sure what this guy was looking at, but he was a bit glazed when I was taking to him.
I don't remember ever paying that ticket. They'll probably be coming to put me back in jail any day now.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
$250 or so... speeding...
yup...I did have one that I got out of but the guy before me got caught doing 73mph in a 0mph zone. Yup..you read right.. How you ask?...

He was caught driving in the breakdown lane...

73 x $10 per mile over limit + $50 violation fee = $780 OUCH!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #12
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I think the most I've paid was about $120. I was doing 60 in a 45 or something like that.....it has been awhile.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

The most I paid was $294 in Oklahoma. I was driving cross country from Cali to NY when I was clocked doing 103 in a 65. I tried to fight it since my speedometer only reaches 100 and the ticket said I was a Caucasian male with blonde hair....how can you mistaken by Hispanic butt with black hair for blonde I don't know.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Don't think I ever got a speeding ticket- I really don't speed too much and if I do I'm very careful to follow the flow of traffic. I did get a ticket similar to Scott for rolling through a stop sign once- again, it wasn't even onto a main road or anything. The cop had someone else in his car, maybe a supervisor or somebody he needed to impress. I actually had one of those FOP courtesy cards- but the cop didn't care. As I recall it was close to a hunnert bucks.

I was lucky twice- stopped for speeding in Indiana by one of those plain brown wrapper cops for doing 70 in a 55, but he only gave me a warning because he saw that I was a route driver faaar from home- very nice of the guy- and the other was on the Penna Turnpike for about the same speed with my truck FULL of stuff going from Ct to my new home in Ohio. I guess he felt pity for me.

I used to drive like a bit of a maniac, but now those days are long gone and I almost emulate those blue haired ladies whose faces don't really come over the dash board!

Sorry about your luck- it feels like taking a lighter to those bills, doesn't it?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Darn cops!!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #16
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzee View Post
Darn cops!!
Yeah ... 'cause *that's* the direction this thread should go. I don't think *anyone* is saying that. Sounds to me like everyone accepts what (allegedly) they did.

BTW -- never pinched for a single moving violation ever. Not sure I'll be saying that at the end of this school year.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
That's brutal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Sorry about your luck- it feels like taking a lighter to those bills, doesn't it?
Thanks. Sure does...total waste of money, but comes with territory. I'm driving like a grandma from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Yeah ... 'cause *that's* the direction this thread should go. I don't think *anyone* is saying that. Sounds to me like everyone accepts what (allegedly) they did.
I take responsibility for what I (allegedly) did.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
$425 for doing 80 in a 55 in a Honda Civic no less. I did the traffic school so tack on another $25, lunch $15, gas there and back $10 so the whole thing cost me more than I wanted it to so now I drive like an 80 year old grandmother,,,enjoy driving behind me now everyone!
I got you beat Gary.....it was Colonel Mustard for $780 going 106 in a 55 with an '89 Honda CRX in the Library.

Strange that $780 seemed to be the magic #....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
yup...I did have one that I got out of but the guy before me got caught doing 73mph in a 0mph zone. Yup..you read right.. How you ask?...

He was caught driving in the breakdown lane...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

About a month ago the wife got tagged doing 50 in a 35. When all was said and done it cost us about $325 after the lawyer and fine. Got knocked down to equipment so no points or insurance increase.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

$330 bucks but I got away easy. Cop busted me doing 78 in a 45 he reduced it to failure to obey posted sign, I was young maybe 18 years old. Don't drive like that anymore..
AriesOpusX is offline   Reply With Quote