Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #3141
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Went store hopping this afternoon, just to check a few. Amazing how the most shady looking stores may carry stuff you wouldn’t think. One place had the usual HTF’s on the shelf. Double or more than MSRP. Another place, that had me feeling like I could get shanked, had EH Taylor SB and 1792 FP plus others. They were on hold for other customers though. Did overpay for another bottle of Eagle Rare, but the best price I’ve found. Needed another bottle as I’m drinking thru my first bottle.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:24 AM   #3142
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The Hunt is fun, Bob, though those independent stores with unicorns at quadruple MSRP can be a kick in the nuts.

I had a drink in memory of pnoon last night. It was so good I had another.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:26 AM   #3143
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Also had a drink while out with some friends yesterday afternoon. First time trying a bourbon (rather than a rye) from Whistlepig, the 6 year Piggy Back Bourbon. I really love their ryes, but I am not a fan of the bourbon.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-08-2023, 02:00 PM   #3144
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

$80 for Weller SR? Talk about a kick in the nuts. That’s a $27 bottle.

I really need to find a bar with a nice selection to try a few pours before I buy another bottle.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #3145
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Just poured some Russell's. So glad this one is still available for <$40.

Old 05-08-2023, 07:05 PM   #3146
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

That’s one I’ve been eyeing James. What’s the flavor profile like?
Old 05-09-2023, 07:08 AM   #3147
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
That’s one I’ve been eyeing James. What’s the flavor profile like?
It's pretty balanced. I get honey, vanilla, and chocolate-orange. One of the YT channels I watch says it best, if you like Wild Turkey you'll like Russel's Reserve.

My B&M used to do owner's picks of Russell's and they were always great. But apparently WT is no longer doing them, at least the same way they used to (in person, with the owner tasting several barrels to make their pick). Shame.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:51 AM   #3148
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

A quick look at my current bar top makes me feel like a turkey fiend, I gotta get around to putting some of these away

It took me a little bit to come around to Turkey but I'm getting there. I think the shelf 10 year is going to be getting a lot of talk in these coming years and will be hard to find or nonexistent, at least for desired lot codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
My B&M used to do owner's picks of Russell's and they were always great. But apparently WT is no longer doing them, at least the same way they used to (in person, with the owner tasting several barrels to make their pick). Shame.
They still do picks, Bruce Russell pulled 40 barrels out and said open as many as you want when I went. Eddie and Jimmy were around too, mostly hanging out. Highly recommend

Old 05-09-2023, 08:03 AM   #3149
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Bob, that's crazy for Weller SR but you see that all over. I just grabbed one (limit 1) at Binny's for $29. Come to Shack this year and I'll bring it for you.

James, I've really been liking the Russell's as well, it's got that WT funk which is outstanding if you like that profile. Lots of picks drop around here, but if you can find it, that Russell's Reserve 13 Year is the best of the lot.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:15 AM   #3150
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post

They still do picks, Bruce Russell pulled 40 barrels out and said open as many as you want when I went. Eddie and Jimmy were around too, mostly hanging out. Highly recommend
Confusing...here's the message we got from the B&M: "This unfortunately will be our final Russell's Single Barrel selection as the Campari State manager has made it clear the only way for buying Russell's barrels moving forward is pure volume as it is now inconvenient to have store owners select in person since any store can easily sell a Russell's barrel even if just selected from samples. I love the Russell's family and I will be forever grateful for all the Bourbon passion and knowledge they have shared with me over the years on dozens of barrel selections on their property."
Old 05-09-2023, 08:54 AM   #3151
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Confusing...here's the message we got from the B&M: "This unfortunately will be our final Russell's Single Barrel selection as the Campari State manager has made it clear the only way for buying Russell's barrels moving forward is pure volume as it is now inconvenient to have store owners select in person since any store can easily sell a Russell's barrel even if just selected from samples. I love the Russell's family and I will be forever grateful for all the Bourbon passion and knowledge they have shared with me over the years on dozens of barrel selections on their property."
I'm guessing that the "the only way for buying Russell's barrels moving forward is pure volume" part is likely due to something with stores getting barrels based on sales, so a store that sells 10x the wild turkey 101 will get more russells single barrel picks, and store that sells none will likely not get picks, it's their way of incentivizing their shelf product sales. The rest of the message is probably due to frustration about that, but Campari is most certainly still doing single barrel picks for wild turkey, due to the three tier system they have no say in what happens to the bottles after they leave the distillery so if a store wants to sell a whole barrel for profit Campari can't stop them
Old 05-09-2023, 02:54 PM   #3152
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
I'm guessing that the "the only way for buying Russell's barrels moving forward is pure volume" part is likely due to something with stores getting barrels based on sales, so a store that sells 10x the wild turkey 101 will get more russells single barrel picks, and store that sells none will likely not get picks, it's their way of incentivizing their shelf product sales. The rest of the message is probably due to frustration about that, but Campari is most certainly still doing single barrel picks for wild turkey, due to the three tier system they have no say in what happens to the bottles after they leave the distillery so if a store wants to sell a whole barrel for profit Campari can't stop them
That makes sense and answers a question I had in a way. I see all these stores getting barrel picks. At what point does that eat into regular production? But if a store is selling a lot of product, then one or two barrels amounts to what they’d normally sell anyway.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:14 PM   #3153
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Seems likely, thanks.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:33 PM   #3154
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Seems likely, thanks.
This is a new problem by the way. You used to be able to go to Sazerac and buy a barrel of anything made by Buffalo Trace, Barton, etc. Then they limited it to a certain number of barrels per year and it took a few months to sell out, the next year a few hours, then a few minutes. The last 4-5 years were instant sell outs, now they do quarterly lotteries where ~60 people out of hundreds of thousands win the chance to buy a barrel. Other heritage brands like Wild Turkey probably had similar problems but use a less public way of dealing with nit
Old 05-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #3155
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
That makes sense and answers a question I had in a way. I see all these stores getting barrel picks. At what point does that eat into regular production? But if a store is selling a lot of product, then one or two barrels amounts to what they’d normally sell anyway.
Minimal. It eats into labor because single barrels are a b**** to deal with logistically but you're right, they move so friggin many bottles of Wild Turkey 101, or Evan Williams, or Jim Beam, or Benchmark that no amount of private picks could impact what they're pumping out
Old 05-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #3156
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
This is a new problem by the way. You used to be able to go to Sazerac and buy a barrel of anything made by Buffalo Trace, Barton, etc. Then they limited it to a certain number of barrels per year and it took a few months to sell out, the next year a few hours, then a few minutes. The last 4-5 years were instant sell outs, now they do quarterly lotteries where ~60 people out of hundreds of thousands win the chance to buy a barrel. Other heritage brands like Wild Turkey probably had similar problems but use a less public way of dealing with nit
Quote:
Minimal. It eats into labor because single barrels are a b**** to deal with logistically but you're right, they move so friggin many bottles of Wild Turkey 101, or Evan Williams, or Jim Beam, or Benchmark that no amount of private picks could impact what they're pumping out
Never thought of it from a logistics standpoint. Even makes more sense. If you have 2-3000 barrels at any given point you’re managing plus all your normal production, it becomes a hassle. I was watching a video I think on BT. They make ~1500 new barrels a day. So the overall total dedicated to store picks is low for the big distilleries. But like you said, it becomes a logistical nightmare, especially since they’re selling out their stock anyway. And limiting the number of picks increases rarity, thus keeping demand high as well as prices.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #3157
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Never thought of it from a logistics standpoint. Even makes more sense. If you have 2-3000 barrels at any given point you’re managing plus all your normal production, it becomes a hassle. I was watching a video I think on BT. They make ~1500 new barrels a day. So the overall total dedicated to store picks is low for the big distilleries. But like you said, it becomes a logistical nightmare, especially since they’re selling out their stock anyway. And limiting the number of picks increases rarity, thus keeping demand high as well as prices.
That's the reason BT stopped putting "single barrel" on eagle rare. They're still pretty much single barrels, but they don't shut the line down every couple hundred bottles to make sure everything is drained from the tank before dumping another barrel in, they just dump every time it gets low. Compared to something like Blantons where a few hands touch every bottle and they make sure there's no crossover
Old 05-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #3158
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Enjoyed the discussion and some more education thanks to Ben.

Traded for a couple Whistlepig single barrel picks, the Whiskey Rick is a 13 year barrel I've had before, and Snake in My Boot is a 14 year barrel at 119 proof.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:02 AM   #3159
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Nice! I'll heed your warning on their bourbon, but I sure do love some of those Alberta single barrels. I have a small handful of 16-17yrs left that I'm holding onto for dear life, I brought one to a bottle share a while back and the guy didn't believe me that some of the 10's were much much older... until he tried it
Old 05-11-2023, 08:23 AM   #3160
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Nice! I'll heed your warning on their bourbon, but I sure do love some of those Alberta single barrels. I have a small handful of 16-17yrs left that I'm holding onto for dear life, I brought one to a bottle share a while back and the guy didn't believe me that some of the 10's were much much older... until he tried it
I know Ben! I've got a 19 year old Alberta single barrel that I've had for a couple years and can't bring myself to crack. The proof is definitely in the taste.