Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
mukky
NOOB

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road
Default Death of the wooden humi

with technology moving as fast as it does these days, I was wondering if you guys thought that the days of wooden humidors are starting to come to an end. I mean, with all of the great options these days that dont involve wood, unless of course you want to add it(coolidors, wineadors, ect), and the humidification devices have come leaps and bounds lately with beads and cigar oasis's and whatnot, it seems that the days of wooden humidors and startin to slow down. For instance, I have a desktop that I only use now a days to dry box cigars. Everything goes into the coolidor these days for me.

Now obviously there are guys that love the look and smell of wood, and there are the guys who love some fine lookin furniture or want walkin humi's, and the old school guys who will only use wood, but I feel that there are alot of guys who look at the better options and realize that it is just more practical for majority of us to use coolers and wineadors.

So my question to CA is, have you guys been finding yourself dumpin your wood humi's in favor of other options or are you a stictly wood guy, or a mix of both? And vendors, have you guys seen a drop in your humidor sales ever since people have been discovering other options, or are you seeing sales stay steady for the most part?

just curious what everyones thoughts are on the different options and what they mostly use
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Death of the wooden humi

I have an Aristocrat humidor from Bob Staebell. While I understand why other options are good for others, I won't have anything but an Aristocrat now...unless I win the lottery and put a walk-in in my mansion.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have an Aristocrat humidor from Bob Staebell. While I understand why other options are good for others, I won't have anything but an Aristocrat now...unless I win the lottery and put a walk-in in my mansion.
I have 3......love them to death.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

So far, I've got desktops, and those are good for me. Never stored my cigars in anything but wood so far.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
lostark374
Framed

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (5)
ERdM
lostark374 has disabled reputation

i dumped my wood desktops for a vino then i dumped my vino's for an Aristocrat. the next step will be a walk-in but i think i will hold off for a while.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

I boycott anything not made with wood.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

IMHO there will always be a place for wood humidors. Whether on the desktop or a cabinet. Some like to display their cigars, its hard to justify a cooler in the middle of the living room. I have 3 desktops, 3 coolers and 2 Vinotemps, but someday soon they will be upgraded to an Aristocrat cabinet.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

The way that I see it (being new to the cigar hobby) people will buy what they feel comfortable spending money on. Not everyone is up for converting a fridge into a humidor and would rather just get a traditional cedar lined one.

I personally don't see any advantages over one or the other, unless you are hell bent on getting some added cedar flavor into your cigars. Both options are viable options in my opinion.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
mukky
NOOB

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Partagas
mukky is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys. But let me rephrase my question a little because I guess my real inquiry is how much do you guys care about having spanish cedar lining. Say an aristocrat comes out that has a vino lining and would allow you to set the exact temp you wanted. Basically a big aristocrat that looked beautiful, yet wasnt lined with spanish cedar. You save say, half the price by goin this route. Do you go this way or do you go with spanish cedar bc you like the smell of the cedar, the look of the cedar, and just overall feel that its best.

I guess I am askin this bc I was wonderin why companies havent started comin out with nice cabinets and other nice lookin humidors that are plastic lined, thus holding better seals and savin money. Maybe companies feel that there isnt really a demand for this kind of product. I guess companies maybe see it as the people who would want beautiful cabinets are also gonna want the look and smell of a spanish cedar lined cabinet and arent as concerned about the cost, whereas a person who wouldnt care would probably rather just save the money by simply using coolers and whatnot and spend the money on cigars instead.

IDK, just a random thought I guess.
mukky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I believe your assumptions are incorrect. Vinotemp has been making large cabinet type humidors for many years. This is not new technology. Neither are beads or active humidification. Spanish cedar linings are not incorporated only for smell, they are used because the wood helps stabilize the humidity. The same reason cigars are not shipped in plastic boxes. It would be much cheaper to use plastic boxes but cigars would not shed humidity in such conditions. In many parts of the country and world the average humidity is significantly above 70%. Beads will help absorb excess moisture, but the wood helps as well. Much depends on the type of cigars and reasons for storage. NC's are not meant to be aged more than a few years as their tobacco is already aged several years before production. Cuban cigars are rolled much younger in general and can benefit from many years of slow aging in a stable environment. It is not necessary to age cigars in an airtight container, some transpiration and off gassing is needed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 AM   #11
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
I have 3......love them to death.
You have 3 mansions?!

BUDDY!!
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I almost sold my small 50 count humidor, I decided not to, it's a nice piece to have for decorations. I have it sitting counter, looks nice.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #13
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
CheapHumidors
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
CheapHumidors is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see you guys still like the wooden humidors. I'm not sure "CheapCoolidors.com" has quite the same ring to it lol.

People often debate between the vinotemp, coolidor, and spanish-cedar lined wooden humidors. Often, people choose wooden humidors for a lot of the reasons that bobarian and others have mentioned.

Personally, I've never used a coolidor, so I don't know the issues associated with it. We haven't seen any decline that I've noticed in wooden humidor sales. If anything, the only trend-shift lately has been to buy bigger humidors instead of multiple smaller ones. Peoples collections are getting bigger I think
CheapHumidors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapHumidors View Post
I'm glad to see you guys still like the wooden humidors. I'm not sure "CheapCoolidors.com" has quite the same ring to it lol.

People often debate between the vinotemp, coolidor, and spanish-cedar lined wooden humidors. Often, people choose wooden humidors for a lot of the reasons that bobarian and others have mentioned.

Personally, I've never used a coolidor, so I don't know the issues associated with it. We haven't seen any decline that I've noticed in wooden humidor sales. If anything, the only trend-shift lately has been to buy bigger humidors instead of multiple smaller ones. Peoples collections are getting bigger I think
You "Think" Correctly, Sam!
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 AM   #16
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

i like the ease of a vino.

I also like the smell of a 150 count humidor.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Montano
Bourbon IS a food group

First Name: Nick
Trading: (33)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
Montano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the roughMontano is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
i like the ease of a vino.

I also like the smell of a 150 count humidor.
Same here, plus I like the convenience of my coolidor as well

I used to have 5 humi's going and that got to be a chore. So I now have 1 humi, 1 vino, and 2 coolers. Works for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM   #18
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I have 2 wooden humi's and 1 cooler for NC's (which hides in a closet).

IMO, a vino or cooler sitting in the family or dinning room would never fly. Different strokes for different folks.

As for the plastic liner for sealing.... Wood works just great. Most wooden humis are laquered and sealed on the outside for looks. That outer coating is a great sealant for keeping in humidity and the inner cedar wicks moisture/adds aroma. My Wooden humis will never fade like stone wash jeans.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #19
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I have a wood humidor as well as a vinodore. I love the look of the desktop and will keep and use it.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM   #20
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

I have 4 woodies and 2 coolers.
I love the woodies, but use the coolers for long term storage and bulk.
3 of the woodies are at home and the fourth is on my desk at work.
If only I could smoke inside the damn building....
Gotta get me a Vino...or two.