Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default How Fast Do You Smoke???

People That Know Me Know I Smoke Way Too Fast! I Usually Finish A Robusto In 30-40 Minutes, A Panatela In 20 Minutes, And A Churchill In One Hour. I've Been Smoking Cigars For Over 5 Years & Still Haven't Learned To Slow Down! I Usually Take A Draw Every 10-15 Seconds & Most Of My Sticks Taste A Little Harsh. "Duh"! After Kelmac Kidded Me For Smoking A Panatella In 30 Minutes, I Tried To Slow Down. This Evening I Smoked A Surrogates "Skull Breaker" (5 1/4" X 52) Which Is In The Robusto Class. I Varied My Draws Between 5 Seconds & 1.5 Minutes. The "Sweet Spot" For This Cigar Seemed To Be 1 Minute 15 Seconds. Wow!!! Flavors I Had Never Discovered Before In This Stick!

Anything Longer Than That, The Cigar Went Out, Anything Shorter Than 1 Minute Between Draws Gave Me A Little Harshness. I Know Each Cigar Is Different, But What Are Your Tendencies In Smoking? Put A Timer On Your Draws & Find Out What You Like!
Opinions?

Thanks!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How Fast Do You Smoke???

I am a slow smoker. It all depends but usually once a minute. Quicker if it feels like it might be going out.

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I smoked two sir winston's just reading this thread.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I try my best to smoke slow, it's easier with friends. I am probably about 1 minute between draws when I smoke alone, and it still seems too fast to me, Greg. But I definitely get more out of cigars, flavor wise, smoking slower.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Sadden
Its only money...

First Name: Colin
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Sadden will become famous soon enough

Hmm , well all cigars are different. For me on average it goes something like this.

Outside 45seconds-60seconds
Inside 60seconds-75 seconds

Some cigars more , some cigars less. Lanceros definitely less.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I'm like you Greg, smoke way too fast. Maybe not as fast as you, but still to quick. I like the idea of a timer. Gonna try it next time.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

At home alone I tend to smoke a bit faster, 30 seconds between drags or so, that being said I'll put the cigar down to do some work and more often than not I will end of having to light it again and again, when herfing it depends, but I tend to slow down due to all of the conversations and things going on.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
TFed
Hetman

First Name: Terry
TFed is on a distinguished road

I used to smoke way to slow and had trouble keeping lit. I still prefer to smoke on the slow side but not that bad anymore.

But, in the last year i seem to be going fast, rushing, feeling like i have to hurry for some reason. I think my wife has made me feel guilty for taking so much time for just myself.

I plan to be more deliberate to enjoy it.

In fact, about 5 am in the morning im planning on a long smoke before bed (day sleeper)
Depending on the weather that is. May be shoveling the foot of snow,they say we are to get tonight.
TFed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I smoked two sir winston's just reading this thread.
Good One, Mark!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Thanks For The Input, My Friends! It Really Did Surprise Me, Though, With The Much Improved Flavor & Complexities I Found When I Slowed Down.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
bruceolee
King of Rants

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
bruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the roughbruceolee is a jewel in the rough

I used to smoke fast like you for many years but have change my routine up quite a bit now. I puff every 30 - 60 seconds while taking longer but steady inhales. I find the smoke cooler and more flavorful this way. I can pick up more flavor notes now than i used to. I find I enjoy the experience more now. I used to think quantity not quality but things have changed drastically for me now. I've gone from 6 - 7 cigars a day down to 3 - 4 and I'm enjoying it far more than I ever used to. It's also a huge money saver along with allowing more time to age my cigars. Just my
Old 02-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #12
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I try to smoke slowly, some sticks won't allow that and I've noticed they tend to be more harsh. I've never timed my puffs, but I'm going to now, just for S&G's.
MrClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Greg, I find that I smoke way too fast as well. Particularly, if all I am doing is focusing on the cigar. If I read, watch TV, talk with friends, etc. then I tend t slow down -- and enjoy my cigars more.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about

depends on the cigar and vitola for me. Smaller RG i smoke slower as they turn to burn hotter and messes with the flavor profile.

Robustos and Belicosos probably 45s or so. Coronas and Lanceros around 60 sec on average
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #15
meatcake
Meaty Cakey Goodness

First Name: Brandon
RA
meatcake is on a distinguished road

It really depends on what I am doing. If I am relaxing with friends at B&M, I take my time. I have taken hour and half for a corona before. If I am busy doing something I tend to smoke faster. I also tend to KNOW when I will be doing something and smoke lesser cigars If I know I wont really be able to sit down and enjoy the experience. Puff a minute rule for the most part.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

I don't wear a watch, so I couldn't tell you my puff rate
(can I say 'puff' here?).
BUT average time it takes me to smoke a standard robusto
(5"x50 ring) is 80-90 minutes. And no, they don't go out.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

I'm a pretty slow smoker. A robusto will usually last me a little over an hour. When I smoke I'm usually surfing around the internet on my phone or watching vids on YouTube and the cigar May go 2-3 minutes without getting puffed on. This is one of the big reasons why I don't usually smoke churchills. I average a little over two hours with those and I just don't have that much time to spend smoking.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Slow also. If I have it go out several times or more, I pick up the pace. I let the cigar tell me how to smoke it.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #19
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

I would say I'm a faster smoker, usually smoking a Robusto sized cigar in 45-50 minutes. Whenever I'm ready to take a puff, I always take two drags from the cigar -- no more, no less.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #20
DirtRider500R
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eli
Trading: (2)
DirtRider500R is on a distinguished road

I usually do a Gran Toro in roughly an hour. That's only because it's cold outside. If it's warm or I'm with friends, that time increases greatly.