Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Mom's Best French Toast - updated 2nd edition

(when you get sick of steel cut oats)

To die for...

You need bread twice as thick as normal sliced bread. Fresh spongey/poofy-type bread is required - the best is challah or egg bread but Sunbeam Texas BBQ Slices works great. Stale bread or coarser, very dense bread isn't going to cut it.

In a low sided bowl beat or whisk together:

1 1/2 cups milk (skim works but anything fatter is better)
5 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon (or more) of vanilla extract

Add bread so it is flat and soaking up the juice; when it gets heavy, cradle and flip it carefully (it's got to get a bit soggy) with a spatchet (or two spatchets) and let the other side get soggy. Let it get soggy about clear thru.

While the bread soggies up, heat a skillet or griddle and melt more butter on it than is probably healthy for a human. Do not ever let the butter burn or smoke or the toast will taste terrible. Place the soggy bread, which would otherwise rip in half if you didn't cradle it on the lift, in the butter and expect to hear a little sizzling sound. If it doesn't sizzle the griddle isn't hot enough. Cook to half-golden on one side; flip and cook to nearly black on the other side; flip again and cook to dark brown. The inside texture should finish off like a very moist cake. The sugar in the batter will add a slightly hard crust to the outside; it's the sugar that may turn black - don't worry if it goes it little dark looking if that what it takes to cook the batter through the bread.

Serve hot from the griddle. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with choice of syrup or toppings. A little shot of whipped cream get extra points. Crispy bacon alongside is double points.

Eats best with premium coffee followed by a short cigar.

revision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan
What level did you melt the butter and cook the french toast on?
You raise a good question. Burn the butter and the breakfast is screwed. Burnng the butter will ruin the taste of french toast - this toast in particular. Heat the pan on medium- to medium-low and make sure the melting butter doesn't go brown. Watch the butter closely when melting and cooking; you never want to see smoke. When it's melted and bubbling (but not smoking or burning) immediate add the (already) batter saturated bread.

You definitely want the egg-soaked bread to sizzle a bit when it hits the (hot) butter. This will immediately cook the egg (and harden the sugars) to "seal" the skin of the toast. This prevents all the butter from soaking in and making the toast into a greasy blob.

If the butter is brown or smoking it's too hot and ruined for cooking; if it isn't bubbling a bit (enough to make the batter sizzle when it its the pan) is isn't hot enough. Cook medium-low to prevent burning the butter and to insure the batter cooks thru the thick bread - about 5-8 minutes per side. I usually let the first side cook until it gets sealed, about a minute or two, then turn to let the other side cook to dark/golden (5-min) - then flip once more (5 more, approx). Slow heat - sizzle - seal - golden brown to very dark works. If one side goes too dark, serve that side facing down. Nobody will notice.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mom's Best French Toast - updated 2nd edition

Thanks for posting this over here, this is on the breakfast tailgate menu for this Sunday. Will give you reviews Sunday night.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I can attest to this recipe being AWESOME

I might have to indulge again this weekend
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road

This is how we've always made ours except we use about 3X the sugar you do... Makes you want to take a nap after eating!!!
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

looks very tasty.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Christmas breakfast 2008. Maple syrup aged in bourbon casks. Thick crispy bacon, etc.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

That looks GREAT!
Old 02-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
RJK18
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rob