Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #1
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice
Default Watch a hoarding for doomsday?

I was doing a wee inventory of the cellar. Assuming everything goes tits up in 2 years and all the new artisinal blends are gone (Greg Pease will be culling more than half of his blends).....

What are you hoarding? I read somewhere you might need as much as 70lb squirrelled away.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #2
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Watch a hoarding for doomsday?

Well, I have a dresser in which 5 of the top 6 drawers are dedicated to holding an assortment of 1 pint wide-mouth Mason jars (wherein each can hold 3 to 4 oz of loose or flake. Depending how much of the loose you pack into a jar), 50g, 100g, 2oz tins, 250g boxes and bags, and a 14oz tub.

The night stand next to my side of the bed, 2 of 3 drawers are holding 8oz, 2oz, and 100g tins.

Now, in my closet sits 3 Igloo 28qt coolers with nc', and the 4th cooler is for cc'.

I'll attempt an inventory of the pipe tobacco tomorrow and see where we stand. I think it all depends on one's frequency in burning tobacco or cigars in relation to one's inventory levels
Old 11-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
DMK
S.O.B.

First Name: Darryl
Trading: (86)
Partagas
DMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really niceDMK is just really nice

As the Wifey states " You don't need to buy any more tobacco or cigars, as you can't possibly smoke what you have in your lifetime"
I wonder if she is planning on bumping me off??
I only have 2 - 48 litre coolers full of cigars and about 48 - 125 ml jars of pipe weed......
Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

So, I performed a small inventory of the above tins, jars, etc., calculated a postulate and theorem here and there, and came up with approximately 31 lbs of weed. Think I'm good for a spell
Old 11-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

So Mark - that depends on how much you smoke and how long you plan on living:

http://www.thepipetool.com/blog/2016...accopocalypse/

This nice man thinks 70lbs - calculated at 1 bowl per day x 30 years.

The problem being the imperfect science of it all, and the more you smoke, the quicker you will consume your stash, but the more you hasten your demise....

Considering my job, BMI and smoking habit, 30 years is very optimistic.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

Partagas

To answer my own question as to "what" rather than how much:

English and Balkans and VaPers as they will age reliably - not sure what to do about any Burleys I fancy.

More recent offerings that might not get registered

So, I'm going after:
- Gaslight, Sixpence, Temple Bar, Hermit blends, Seattle Pipe Club, Frog Mortons, Wilderness,etc
- Any Esoterica that pops up (because it is hard to find and will be good to barter with other pipers when all the tobacco we like is gone from the shelves....)

I think long standing dependables will stick around, so aside from wanting to see how they age, NIghtcap, EMP, Elizabethan Mixture, Escudo etc are likely safe.... (??)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

...That's a good article Neil, and I had to laugh a bit, because at one 3g bowl a day (depending on moisture content and blah blah blah), my total amount would last approximately 4,639.9 days, or 12.7 years (that is, if I smoke a bowl everyday, which I don't). Maybe another 15lbs huh?

I been stocking up on Va/Pers (lots of cakes n flakes), Balkans - Orientals, Va/Burs, some English, American Burley based blends. Kind of a mixture really of spicy peppery blends I enjoy...