Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #1
karmaz00
Habanos

First Name: Jason
Trading: (1)
Partagas
karmaz00 is on a distinguished road
Default whats you take dip or no dip?

well i just came back from cuba. and saw someone doing something what i thought was out of the ordinary...

so i met up the 2 german guys (really nice, little english) we were smoking a cohiba siglo 5... i was drinking some amber rum, and they were drinking brandy...anyway, the one guy was about 1/3 the way through, and then he diped it into his brandy...just covering the tip end of the cigar...and did this around the 1/2 way mark and as well as the last 3rd...i ask him about it...he said he as always done this...whats you thoughts?
karmaz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
cigardude

Default Re: whats you take dip or no dip?

NO DIP! Unless I was smoking a Guantanamera and I needed to mask the terrible flavours.... Dipping in brandy makes the smoke taste like brandy, and can be done with any stick. Doing that to a siglo V in cuba is sacreligious!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
karmaz00
Habanos

Partagas

thats what i tought
Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Throb
Out of the Ocean!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
Throb is on a distinguished road

If you want a crap cigar to taste like brandy flavored crap, then DIP...

I smoke cigars that taste good
Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Never even tried it. Never even thought to try it. I agree with the others here. It makes no sense. I am certain the makers of the cigars I buy go through much, much labor and effort to create a taste profile of their product. I want to be able to appreciate their work unaltered.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

I was given cigar at a party once that I felt obligated to clip and light. The person who passed them out insisted we (there were four of us) all try one and since he was the host, we couldn't refuse him - especially since he knew we all smoked cigars.

It didn't start out that bad, but then the flame hit the foot and it only got worse. The only way we were able to smoke even part of the cigar was to dip the end in the bourbon we were drinking.

I have not felt the urge to do this again.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #7
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I've never tried it, but I can't think of any reason to dip a good cigar. I recently ran across someone who's new to cigars and he's under the impression that dipping a cigar in Cognac is the only way to go. To each his own.

Last edited by ucla695; 01-29-2009 at 07:04 AM.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I cannot believe the negative comments about this, WOW!!!

I am reminded of the guy fishing in the stream down from me one day. He comes into the water looking like a Cabelas advertisement, decked out to the hilt - including new Orivis fly rod outfit. After loosing a couple flies in the trees beside the stream and watchig me catch a couple Steelhead, he comments to me, "Catching Steelhead with anything other than a fly rod is just unsporting, the DNR should make the spring Steelhead run, fly fishing only."

I pulled in my line and showed him that I was indeed fly-fishing (my bait was a egg-sucking-leech pattern fly), only I was using a spinning rod which allowed me to work that particular narrow stream a little easier.

He informed me that using a fly without a fly rod was not acceptable. To which I just laughed

I tell the story to bring up the same thing about the dipped cigars. Write it off as different strokes for different folks. I have had a number of freinds from Germany who were at a Pastor's conference with me a couple years back, who like to dip their cigars. In talking with them, I was led to believe it was a European thing. I did try it. It really doesn't change the flavor of the smoke all that much, but if you don't like the taste of the cigar in your mouth as the end gets moist, the dipping changes that flavor - at least that is what I was informed. I have tried it, and it sin't bad, but I kind of like a cigar's flavor in my mouth.

One of the positives was this. If your drink has a short finish that is overpowered by your cigar, this does allow a greater melding of those flavors of drink and cigars. I have on occasion dipped my cigar in a lighter cognac or scotch to accentuate those flavors with my cigar. It is a quidk dip in the liquor, not a lingering stir, so the flavor doesn't last all that long - a few draws at most, certainly not a whole third of the cigar.

I certainly didn't notice a change in the cigar's flavor.

I did try it once with a cheap cigar I was given at a party - when I left mine at home because I thought we wouldn't be allowed to smoke. It didn't change the flavor enough to make it a palatable smoke, so I only had about a third of it. The only way that dipping a cigar in my drink made a real difference was with the second cheap cigar forced upon me that night - when I simply kept dipping it and chewing on it, never lighting it.

Hey, before we brush something off as inappropriate or just in poor taste, try it, you might find it an interesting experiment.

Hey, living up here in America's Dairyland, I have always wondered --- who decided to grab those muddy teets hanging under a cow and decide that was a good place to grab something to drink? Yet, nothing nicer than milk on my wheaties.

I like my Single Malt neat and my beers without fruit. I also like my premium hand-rolled stick straight up, but if someone else likes it different, what skin is it off my nose?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Ive heard that alot of old school smokers do this, or used to do this. Ive seen some of the older Italian guys dip, but these are the same guys that normally smoke Parodis and Avantis.

Im not saying they shouldnt do it, smoke what you like, but I wouldnt do it with a premium cigar.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Like anything, imo to each their own.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
pnutbutrsangwich
Go Green!

Trading: (3)
Guantanamera
pnutbutrsangwich will become famous soon enough

I can't stand wet cigars, regardless of the moisture's source. In my experience, the more moisture builds up at the tip, the tougher the draw becomes too. Sounds like a bad idea to me, but I don't want to pass judgment on what others find enjoyable. Looking down on those people with disdain for what they enjoy seems somewhat hypocritical of any person who willingly enjoys something that they know is bad for them and makes them a social pariah
pnutbutrsangwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

It's whatever they like but I personally don't do it.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
RBOrrell
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bruce
Montecristo
RBOrrell is on a distinguished road

Old Port's.... "Rum flavoured and wine dipped"
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #14
Benwoo

mmm... can't say I thought of trying it. I try to keep my cigars as dry as possible when smoking. Something about a sloppy wet cigar seems unappealing. When I read about this I thought the alcohol would dissolve the cap adhesive and cause unraveling, but from how long this has been going on it doesn't seem to be the case. Honestly I can't imagine feeling the urge to try it, but I certainly wouldn't scoff if someone did it. I've been on the other end when friends have *****ed about me cutting my liquor with soda.

Chris
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

I am reminded of the guy fishing in the stream down from me one day. He comes into the water looking like a Cabelas advertisement, decked out to the hilt - including new Orivis fly rod outfit. After loosing a couple flies in the trees beside the stream and watchig me catch a couple Steelhead, he comments to me, "Catching Steelhead with anything other than a fly rod is just unsporting, the DNR should make the spring Steelhead run, fly fishing only."

I pulled in my line and showed him that I was indeed fly-fishing (my bait was a egg-sucking-leech pattern fly), only I was using a spinning rod which allowed me to work that particular narrow stream a little easier.

He informed me that using a fly without a fly rod was not acceptable. To which I just laughed

I tell the story to bring up the same thing about the dipped cigars. Write it off as different strokes for different folks. I have had a number of freinds from Germany who were at a Pastor's conference with me a couple years back, who like to dip their cigars. In talking with them, I was led to believe it was a European thing. I did try it. It really doesn't change the flavor of the smoke all that much, but if you don't like the taste of the cigar in your mouth as the end gets moist, the dipping changes that flavor - at least that is what I was informed. I have tried it, and it sin't bad, but I kind of like a cigar's flavor in my mouth.

One of the positives was this. If your drink has a short finish that is overpowered by your cigar, this does allow a greater melding of those flavors of drink and cigars. I have on occasion dipped my cigar in a lighter cognac or scotch to accentuate those flavors with my cigar. It is a quidk dip in the liquor, not a lingering stir, so the flavor doesn't last all that long - a few draws at most, certainly not a whole third of the cigar.

I did try it once with a cheap cigar I was given at a party - when I left mine at home because I thought we wouldn't be allowed to smoke. It didn't change the flavor enough to make it a palatable smoke, so I only had about a third of it. The only way that dipping a cigar in my drink made a real difference was with the second cheap cigar forced upon me that night - when I simply kept dipping it and chewing on it, never lighting it.

Hey, before we brush something off as inappropriate or just in poor taste, try it, you might find it an interesting experiment.

Hey, living up here in America's Dairyland, I have always wondered --- who decided to grab those muddy teets hanging under a cow and decide that was a good place to grab something to drink? Yet, nothing nicer than milk on my wheaties.

I like my Single Malt neat and my beers without fruit. I also like my premium hand-rolled stick straight up, but if someone else likes it different, what skin is it off my nose?
Good point!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
karmaz00
Habanos

Partagas

agree, i wouldnt do it...but its all a personal thing...just wondered if anyone done this...i have never seen this
Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
It didn't start out that bad, but then the flame hit the foot and it only got worse. The only way we were able to smoke even part of the cigar was to dip the end in the bourbon we were drinking.
This made me laugh.

Maybe he served crappy cigars on purpose for a good laugh himself?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Beer Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post

Preach on

Pun intended
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #19
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigardude View Post
NO DIP! Unless I was smoking a Guantanamera and I needed to mask the terrible flavours....
Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Im not saying they shouldnt do it, smoke what you like, but I wouldnt do it with a premium cigar.

I can't help but wonder if we could make the much maligned and vilified Cremosa a little more palatable with a quick dip?

Granted, brandy or cognac might be a bit overpowering for such a subtle smoke. Maybe just a quick splash of embalming fluid to gently enhance it's bouquet?

Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote