Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation
Default As a dog lover, this story makes me mad and sad

What is wrong with people? This woman needs a little education on the do's and don'ts of proper animal care.

MINNEAPOLIS — A Minneapolis woman has been charged with animal cruelty after postal workers say she tried to mail a puppy to Atlanta in a sealed box with no air holes.

Postal Service spokesman Pete Nowacki says employees became suspicious when the box suddenly fell off the counter after the woman left the post office Jan. 25. Postal inspectors opened the priority mail parcel and found a 4-month-old poodle mix, panting hard, inside.

Police Sgt. William Palmer says without the postal workers' intervention, the puppy would certainly have died in the airplane's unheated and non-pressurized cargo hold. It also had no food or water.

The Star Tribune says 39-year-old Stacey Champion has been charged with animal cruelty. The dog was taken to the city's animal control facility.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (8.2 KB, 215 views)
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: As a dog lover, this story makes me mad and sad

WTF? Let's mail the lady in a sealed box to Atlanta!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

She needs to be put in a sealed box!!!! Some Dumb A$$ people out there!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I dont think education would help.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

The gene pool needs more chorline...did I say that out loud?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

larryinlc has disabled reputation

The complete story. Good grief!!...She even wanted her postage money back.

A 39-year-old woman has been charged with animal cruelty after she tried to air-mail a live puppy in a sealed box to Atlanta from downtown Minneapolis.

The woman, Stacey Champion, tried to send the male 4-month-old Schnauzer and poodle mix, named "Guess", from the post office on 12th Street North last Tuesday afternoon. The box was wrapped entirely in packing tape that completely sealed air holes. Had the box been sent along in an airplane's unheated, non-pressurized cargo hold, the dog would almost certainly have died.

Champion paid $22 for the puppy to be sent to Georgia by priority mail. A clerk asked her the standard questions about the box's contents, including whether there was anything perishable, liquid or hazardous. She responded no, but did tell the clerk that the package may make some sounds because it contained a toy robot. She asked postal workers to be careful because its contents were so delicate.

After she left, postal workers noticed the box was moving. Scared clerks listened - and heard puppy panting inside. They contacted the Postal Service's enforcement arm because they needed approval to open priority mail and let the puppy out.

The postal inspector also contacted Champion, whose return address was on the box. She returned to the post office and tried to demand a refund for the $22 she paid to have the box mailed. Her demand was rejected.

Stacey Champion was cited for misdemeanor animal cruelty. She has 10 days from being cited to appeal. If she declines or loses her appeal, Guess would go up for adoption. The dog is now at the city's animal control facility

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Woman tried to air-mail puppy from Minneapolis to Atlanta - Minneapolis pet news | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/pet-news-in-...#ixzz1CleykS00
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

sick
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I am astounded at the stupidity of such people... The real crime is that she was only charged with a misdemeanor...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Trouble

"If she declines or loses her appeal, Guess would go up for adoption."

The real crime is that they would actually give that dumb ***** the dog back if she wins an appeal????

It seems everyday I read an article similar to this and it makes me irate. I am pretty sure I would have knocked the ***** out if I worked there. Even some people on this site talking about how they shoot animals for fun etc.

I donate 10% of my income to animal organizations such as the ASPCA HSUS PETA so they can try to keep people from torturing animals. Not sure how some people live with themselves.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I donate 10% of my income to animal organizations such as the ASPCA HSUS PETA so they can try to keep people from torturing animals. Not sure how some people live with themselves.
It's a damn shame they use that money to fund idiots to come to my door and tell me I'm going to hell for grilling steaks and deer sausage instead of using it to help those animals
Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbad View Post
WTF? Let's mail the lady in a sealed box to Atlanta!
I Agree! Nothing Makes Me Madder Than To See People Mistreating Animals!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Moron!!!! Let's put her in a sealed box and mail her to Siberia.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

As far as I'm concerned anything short of a sealed box 6th under is too good for her.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #14
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Dumb bytch
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #15
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Real swift one there huh.... People always seem to amaze me with their stupidity.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #16
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

You might want to rethink your tithing strategies. PETA has had a long history of nastiness if you do some very light research.
http://petakillsanimals.com/ etc.......

Time and money at a local shelter/veterinary/etc. would probably go farther towards your goals.

The whackjob lady obviously has more than a few screws loose, and should be evaluated by a mental health professional before she is allowed anything living in her home, including children.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

The good news is, that in high profile cases like this, the animal involved usually finds a great home. The sad news is, for every one story that is publicized, there are 1,000 more mouth breathers out there continuing to breed.
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 AM   #18
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

Wow. That's just...wow. It takes a special kind of stupid to think mailing a puppy is a good idea. They charged her with animal cruelty because stupidity is still not against the law.
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
Wanger

Makes me very mad and sad, as well. In college at UND, my ex-wife worked at the Humane Society in Grand Forks. I spent plenty of time there helping out, and saw plenty of horror stroies come through the doors. People from the AFB up there just dumping off dogs and cats because they didn't have the time, or animals found abandoned in empty houses there. Not good.

There was one case in particular that really broke my heart. A female doberman was left tied up outside the sehlter one night when it was raining and in the upper 30s. She was VERY emaciated, and had a sore in the middle of her back and fly bites on her ears. You could see every rib abd vertebrae. She was in ROUGH shape. She weighed about half as much as she should have for her height.

When we opened the shelter and took he next door to the vet in the morning, after she was found, the vet almost blew a gasket, and called the police to start a file on her (they never found who dumped her, though). As she was being examined, the vet was almost crying. The dog had so many parasites, they were crawling out of her rear end. AND she tested heartworm positive. My ex and I didn't hesitate for even one second when we were asked if we were going to keep her (because the vet expected it would take a good amount of $ and love and care to get her back to health). We took her home and got her treated for all her issues. She did well the first couple days. Eating and everything. However, her body was SO starved for nutrients that lots went in, and nothing came out for 2 1/2 days! Withing about 6 weeks, we had nursed Paige back to health, and she went from 37lbs to 72lbs, and was a happy part of our home.

Stories like this make me VERY angry, because of things like what I saw with Paige. They are not "just animals". They are part of the family, to me. Our cats have all come from the shelter, and we've donated many items to local shelters when thinning out our dog and cat supplies. Lord knows they need stuff there! Bowls, blankets, toys, food, etc.

That woman need to have some SERIOUS penalties. Not just animal cruelty, but something because she tried to use the USPS.

Here's our Dudley chilling with the 6yr old on the couch a couple months back. How can they NOT be part of the family?!?!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Great story Wanger.... I always wanted to volunteer at a shelter, but I know if I do, I will have a house full of animals in no time.
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote