Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough
Default Two Maduros

I recently got to smoke two maduros at the same time and this was my experience with the La Traviata Maduro and Perdomo Patarich Maduro:

After purchasing the La Traviata, I took a seat and started smoking. I found myself in a engaging and humorous conversation with some fellow BOTL’s until I noticed that this cigar was not particularly good. Upon lighting the cigar, there was the typical harshness in taste. As I continued to smoke, that harshness did not fade away into something better. Instead, all I tasted was tobacco and bitterness. This tasted like a very young cigar.

I traded the cigar off to a different hand when I noticed that my fingers were brown. Brown! I was disgusted by this. Not because it affects the taste, but rather it seems dishonest to dye a wrapper to give it the appearance of something of higher quality. A gentleman told me that dark espresso and glycerin is used to give these cigars the appearance of being dark and oily with a deep coffee smell. After feeling the wrapper upon his request, I found it to be slightly rough and nothing like it’s oily appearance.

This gentleman then asked me if I had ever smoked two cigars at once, to which I replied that I hadn’t. He then treated me to a Perdomo Patriarch Maduro. The wrapper on this cigar was dark, almost black, and very smooth, almost flawless.

The cigar had been lit and the first few puffs were a far cry from the La Traviata. Even though it still had that initial harshness, it was noticable smoother than the La Traviata. The smoke was abundant and creamy and the construction of the cigar looked and felt excellent.

The La Traviata remained the same in taste and after a certain point became a chore to smoke, so I retired it to the ashtray. I continued on smoking the Perdomo and was very pleased with how things were going with this cigar. I thought that the flavor profile was more or less one dimensional but it wasn’t a problem since it tasted good! Unfortunately in the last third of this cigar, the good taste had faded and the smoke was becoming hot. I had my fill of the cigar and I put in down in the ashtray.

In conclusion, I will buy the Perdomo again but I doubt I will try the La Traviata again. There are just too many good cigars out there to try and why bother with something that isn’t likely to improve, even with age.

La Traviata Maduro: 2 out of 5 – Poor

Perdomo Patriarch Maduro: 4 out of 5 – Excellent

My full review is here.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Two Maduros

Holy cow, I wasn't expecting a bad review from that La Traviata. When my B&M got a shipment of them. It was selling like hot cakes. The owner gave our group (6 people) one to try out. After we smoke it, the guys bought a 10er, box and I personally bought a 5er. I have about 5 sitting in my humidor now. I'ma revisit it after reading this review. It wasn't no means a bad cigar. I really hope you just had a fluky one.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

I was definitely expecting more for the La Traviata but it just didnt deliver at all. One of the guys I was smoking with said how a CAO rep told him to let a La Traviata sit for about 6 months and then it should be good to smoke. If the cigar still needs 6 months then it should be in the aging rooms and not in shops. I might try one again eventually.

What watch is that for your avatar!?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing...may have to try the two stick thing. And I am with you on the La Traviata Maduro...didn't care for it at all.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
tx_tuff

This is the first time I have heard anybody claim that the La Traviata Maduro was dyed. I have smoked many of the reg line La Traviata and about 4 of the Maduro, and while I like the reg line better I did not have any color come off on my fingers when smoking the Maduro. Since you took pictures of the cigars I would have liked to see a pic of your brown fingers.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
TheDudeAbides
I got an awesome sound...

First Name: Curtis
Trading: (27)
HUpmann
TheDudeAbides will become famous soon enough

This is surprising. A buddy of mine brought me a La Trav maduro back from the trade show, and it was fantastic, especially at that pricepoint. I've got a couple more, that I've bought post-release, in the humi. I really hope they don't suck.
-Dude

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; 10-27-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarification
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
This is the first time I have heard anybody claim that the La Traviata Maduro was dyed. I have smoked many of the reg line La Traviata and about 4 of the Maduro, and while I like the reg line better I did not have any color come off on my fingers when smoking the Maduro. Since you took pictures of the cigars I would have liked to see a pic of your brown fingers.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
I was definitely expecting more for the La Traviata but it just didnt deliver at all. One of the guys I was smoking with said how a CAO rep told him to let a La Traviata sit for about 6 months and then it should be good to smoke. If the cigar still needs 6 months then it should be in the aging rooms and not in shops. I might try one again eventually.

What watch is that for your avatar!?
it's the Patek Philippe 240 movement.
My grail(lottery) watch would be 5140 perpetual calendar. Soooo pretty ;D
Some borrow pics :

Old 10-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

Now that is a time pieces
Old 10-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Absolutely beautiful timepiece
Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Its hard to tell from the lighting but in the first pic you can see my middle and ring fingertips are still slightly discolored even after using a paper towel to wipe them down.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

The La Traviata is just about the only CAO that I enjoy, so I really should head out and grab one at some point.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
tx_tuff

Yeah its hard to see anything in the pic. I asked Jon Huber CAO Director of Lifestyle Marketing about it yesterday, of course he denied it. I have some in my humidor, I never noticed anything about them before but will pay closer attention next time I smoke one.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Yeah its hard to see anything in the pic. I asked Jon Huber CAO Director of Lifestyle Marketing about it yesterday, of course he denied it. I have some in my humidor, I never noticed anything about them before but will pay closer attention next time I smoke one.
Just so you know, I really am not making this up. I was with 4 other guys in our smoking area when I brough it up and showed it to them. I went into the back of the shop and I got some paper towels to wipe my hands off with and when I came back thats when one of the guys gave me the Perdomo to try.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
tx_tuff

In no way am I saying I don't believe you. I have had even non maduro cigars have color come off of them. I just didn't notice it on the four I smoked and now you have peak my interest LOL.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I love the Perdomo Patriarch. Glad you liked it too.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
In no way am I saying I don't believe you. I have had even non maduro cigars have color come off of them. I just didn't notice it on the four I smoked and now you have peak my interest LOL.
I had a Gran Habano last Fri (Corojo #5 lancero) and boy was I surprised when that thing turned my fingers brown! I would not expect a corojo to be dyed. Is it time for a revolution to stop makers from dying their cigars?!