Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Ewingrules

Default Tat Face review

I don't have a camera so I can't take any pictures. This is my first review so I will do my best. I have good things and a bad thing to say about the Face.

The cigar is constructed very well. No soft or hard spots and good weight in hand. I did not detect a lot of odor from the cigar. I used a V cut and the prelight draw was perfect just the right amount of resistance.

The cigar lit easily and gave off a ton of smoke. I felt some pepper on the back of my throat and that woke up the taste buds quickly. The first few puffs the pepper was pretty stong and I also picked up some earthy tobacco flavor(I am not one who picks up flavors that well).

The problem came up about 1" into the cigar. I was taking a puff and I heard snap, crackle and pop. That caused a couple of slight cracks in the wrapper. I was about 3 inches in and the same happened causing more cracks in the wrapper. The cracks never got worse and did not seem to go to the binder.

I did smoke this one right off the truck. It was about 65 degrees with about 50% RH outside when I smoked it. I will chock this one up to smoking one right away. I will say I have smoked many cigars right off the truck and have never had that problem.

I am thankful that the cracks did not affect the smoking of the cigar. The flavors were very good and it reminded me of a Tatuaje Cojonu 2009 but with some slight differences. The burn was sharp and I only had one slight touch up near the end of the cigar.

I am going to put the box in the humidor and break one out on Halloween and see if that helps with the cracks. The only thing that scares me is the I also bought the Tatuaje L’esprit de Verite and have had major crack problems with them. I gave 2 of those to my B + M owner and I have smoked 3 of them.

2 out of the 3 that I have smoked(This is after some good humidor time)cracked so bad that the cigar was a waste. My B + M guy had the same problem with both of his.

I keep the humidor at 64% to 65% RH and have many other types of cigars in the same humidor. I have alot of Viajes in there along with La Riqueza and the Tat Tenderloins. I also keep a variety of ISOM cigars and don't have any problems with cracking.

Again I will say this cigar cracking twice was minor and in no way effected the smoking of the cigar. I also hope it does not happen again. This is just my thoughts a $16 stick such as the L’esprit de Verite and a $13 stick such as the Face should not be having this problem.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: Tat Face review

Thanks for the review brother!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

sounds like a tasty treat.

I have heard that the verite has a very thin and fragile wrapper and has had some cracking problems.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Thank you for the review!

Maybe leaving one out for a day or two to acclimate will help???

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Ewingrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Thank you for the review!

Maybe leaving one out for a day or two to acclimate will help???
I will probably do that for the Halloween smoke.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reveiw... Can't wait to try one... if I am lucky enough to score one
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Ewingrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Thanks for the reveiw... Can't wait to try one... if I am lucky enough to score one

If you end up not being able to score one then shoot me a PM. I can part with 1.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
klipsch

Smoked one today, and thought it was phenomenal. I did get some cracking as I smoked the cigar, but nothing even remotely close to the Le Verite, which I had to actually hold together while I tried to smoke it. The cracks didn't effect how the cigar smoked at all.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Nice Review! I Think A Lot Of The Tats Have Very Delicate Wrappers; I Had Several Of The Same Problems With A Box Of Tat Unicos.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
TheDudeAbides
I got an awesome sound...

First Name: Curtis
Trading: (27)
HUpmann
TheDudeAbides will become famous soon enough

Great review, brother. Haven't managed to get my hands on the Face yet, but none of the La Verite I've smoked so far, have had any problems. I'm surprised by all the accounts of split wrappers and troublesome burn on those.
- Dude
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Smoked one today, and thought it was phenomenal. I did get some cracking as I smoked the cigar, but nothing even remotely close to the Le Verite, which I had to actually hold together while I tried to smoke it. The cracks didn't effect how the cigar smoked at all.
Hey Walt - did you remind you of the cojonu 2009 as well?

The 2009 is one of my favorites. . . I really hope the face is not better, otherwise I will have to start calling random shops. Lol
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #12
Ewingrules

Quote:
Agreed 100% it didn't effect the cigar at all and I also thought it was excellent. The Le Verite were a total bust in my opinion. I have not had cracking problems like that except for some Gurkha sticks from the past. For the price I paid for them to say I was not happy is a under statement.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
klipsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
Hey Walt - did you remind you of the cojonu 2009 as well?

The 2009 is one of my favorites. . . I really hope the face is not better, otherwise I will have to start calling random shops. Lol
I can't say if it compared to the 2009, because I've only smoked one of those and wasn't all that impressed at the time. However...I didn't pick up any pepper out of the gate. The wrapper appeared to have oil streaks in it, and upon lighting...I was picking up the kind of sweetness that I got from the Le Verite. It pretty much stayed the same throughout the first half of the cigar, then kicked over to predominantly tobacco with the final third taking on a very nice woodiness, accompanied by some good strength. I'm gonna go on record and say that this is the best of the monster series that I've had to date. Pete got this one right on the money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0033.jpg (49.6 KB, 294 views)
Old 10-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Walt, that looks taste.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
Ewingrules

Quote:
I can't say if it compared to the 2009, because I've only smoked one of those and wasn't all that impressed at the time. However...I didn't pick up any pepper out of the gate. The wrapper appeared to have oil streaks in it, and upon lighting...I was picking up the kind of sweetness that I got from the Le Verite. It pretty much stayed the same throughout the first half of the cigar, then kicked over to predominantly tobacco with the final third taking on a very nice woodiness, accompanied by some good strength. I'm gonna go on record and say that this is the best of the monster series that I've had to date. Pete got this one right on the money.
The Frank was real good and so is this one. It blows away the Drac.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #16
jitzy
Illusione Whore

Trading: (17)
Bolivar
jitzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Damn, better than the Frank and the Borris? I loved both of those and was hoping these would compare to the goodness of the Frank.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

Great reviews. Can't wait to try one of these if I get the chance.
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
Louistogies
Area Fumado

First Name: Louis
Trading: (26)
Louistogies is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review!
Louistogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Does the face remind anyone of the tat black? The smell sure reminds me of the black, but I haven't smoked a face yet.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #20
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review...thanks for sharing.