Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Guillermo León Signature Line (La Aurora/Miami Cigar Co)

Size: 6×47, Gran Corona

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano

Binder: Corojo & Cameroon

Filler: Dominican, Peruvian, Nicaraguan, & Brazilian

Strength: Medium/Full

Price: $7.60 – $9.80

Grade: 9.0

Released at the 2010 IPCPR trade show, the Guillermo Leon line is the newest offering from La Aurora and Miami Cigar Company, and is named for La Aurora Vice President. A medium-to-full bodied smoke, the Guillermo Leon brings together tobacco from many different regions. The fillers are from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Peru, and Brazil, while the double binder is composed of Corojo and Cameroon tobacco, to provide a balance of strength and sweetness. The Habana wrapper is Ecuadorian in origin.

When asked about the cigar and the blending goals, Guillermo León offered the following, by way of press release, “Obviously, this cigar is personal for me. It is part of my family’s legacy for the past 107 years. In this cigar, I wanted something with deep complexity yet also a stronger smoke than most of our offerings. I think this is something that will please today’s smokers.”

The Guillermo Leon is available in four sizes: Corona (5.5×42), Gran Corona (6×47), Belicoso (6.2×52), and Gran Toro (6×58). We were fortunate enough to be provided samples of this new blend by Miami Cigar. They have been resting in the humidor and after much anticipation, I was able to properly review the new cigar this week. Be sure to follow Guillermo Leon on Twitter as well.

Pre-light, 1.7:
The Ecuadorian wrapper on the Guillermo Leon is medium brown in color with a nice oily sheen. Well packed from head to foot with a nicely constructed cap, the weight is a little lighter than expected in the palm, but the smaller ring gauge makes it hard for me to tell. The pre-light aroma is of mild tobacco along the wrapper with a spicy sweetness at the foot. I did not find a wealth of notes on the cold draw, but I expect a lot of notes after I fire this one up.

Burn, 1.7:
The draw is good on the cigar and it produces plenty of smoke. The ash holds well and varies in color. Upon closer inspection, you can see that the binder and wrapper produce two different colored ashes as the cigar is burning. Construction is solid on this cigar, though the draw tightens a bit at times and this increases the smoke temperature a bit.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on the cigar produces a blend of tobacco, some spice, and a very pleasant and somewhat sweet finish. The first third stays on course with a profile of nutty tobacco with some cream, and I also picked up a hint of mocha on the finish. I did not find a lot of transition into the second third, but a sweet spiciness was a bit more present on the palate. In the home stretch of the smoke I am really enjoying the creamy finish on this smoke. The notes on the initial draw are great, but the finish is really nice on the palate.

Overall, 2.8:
This is another solid smoke from La Aurora. Priced in the $7.60 to $9.80 range, this cigar is accessible to most smokers. The blend of different regions, coupled with the double binder, produces a smoke that is unique and complex, and that is why I would turn to this one again.

(Total: 9.0)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Guillermo León Signature Line (La Aurora/Miami Cigar Co)

Thanks for the review! I gotta try this one. Everyone's saying it's such a great smoke.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Centurion

I've been looking for these for some time, now. My local shops are not carrying it and of course they are not available online. At least not meant to be available online.

Where can I find some?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

I'll give it a try I think my local B & M ordered some at IPCPR this year.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
Miami Cigar Co.

Thanks for the great review..
Old 11-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
papichulo
Diablo Canoso

Trading: (2)
papichulo will become famous soon enough

Great review! I am typically a PC, Corona - sub 50 RG smoker, but I tried the bigger one 56-58ish and I found this cigar to be good; however, too mild for my pallet.