Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default What is an Aficionado

So, I've been a member of Cigar Asylum for only a couple months but I love the dialogue I get her, the encouragement from BOTL’s, and the wide variety of cigar related news and review. I’ve also been a member of another “CA” forum for close to two years. However, recently I’ve been blasted for some of the cigars I talk about, that they are not “up to aficionado” standards and was even suggested that I should stop talking about cigars until I work through my bad taste issues. When I mentioned that I desire to find value and work on a tight budget, it was suggested that I had it all wrong—I should smoke less often and smoke better stuff. Well, if I am currently smoking 5-8 cigars a month, averaging $5 or less a stick, should I reduce my smoking to twice a month so that I can smoke up to “Aficionado” standards?

Of course I am not deterred by the statements and I’ll keep smoking and talking about the value smokes I come across. But, this begs the question for me, what is an “Aficionado” and what does that mean for those of us on tight budgets that enjoy smoking more often rather than more expensive cigars? I agree that overtime my palette will develop and I will be more distinguished at what is good/bad, but I will never feel comfortable spending $15+ on a cigar that does not have some grand occasion connected to it, such as the birth of my second child.

Thoughts???
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What is an Aficionado

That's why we're here.

Here, you can talk about a $2 stick or a $20 stick and get the same response for both. You can talk about the strength of NCs or the floral wonderfulness of CCs.

Here you can be a snob or a regular joe. You can smoke 5 cigars a day or 5 cigars a month. We don't care.

We're just glad you smoke 'em.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Everyone should should smoke what they enjoy. There is no reason to make someone else feel bad about what they smoke. Not everyone can afford to smoke expensive cigars and just because they may cost more does not mean they are better.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
OHRD

I'm almost tearing up fellas...no, seriously, it put an awful taste in my mouth to be honest with you. I love smoking cigars, I love talking about them, and I hate petty debates on why a $5 cigar can't be worth a crap.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Rubbish. Why on earth would you want a cigar that costs less than $20? After all, it isn't the taste of the cigar we true afficionados enjoy, it's the thrill of burning a working man's daily salary every time we light up. That's the real joy of cigars and until you stop smoking your "yard gars" that cost $20 or less you'll never understand!

Totally kidding! I completely understand the tight smoking budget; I'm right there with you.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Wigwam_Motel

$5 cigar, LOL. Example of a $5 cigar ..opus x...oh wait, that's only on the invoices. oops..
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
TheStatsGuy
I'm a proud Masshole

First Name: Tim #4
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
TheStatsGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Everyone should should smoke what they enjoy. There is no reason to make someone else feel bad about what they smoke. Not everyone can afford to smoke expensive cigars and just because they may cost more does not mean they are better.

When I buy cigars I don't do it for status or to just simply see my money disappear. I buy them because I enjoy the aroma, the taste and the whole relaxing process of sitting down and lighting one up.

It shouldn't matter what cost of any particular stick or brand is, if you like them then smoke them. If someone tells you that you need to smoke something better tell 'em to go take a long walk off a short pier.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

What's the big deal, just smoke what you like. We all have different cigar budgets and it doesn't make anyone better or worse then another BOTL who has less or more loot. Although I do prefer to light my overpriced cigars with $100 bills...

p.s. I'm a moody cigar smoker that will smoke an expensive (at least to me) cigar one day and smoke a bundle cigar the next and enjoy them both. As long as they taste good, I'm happy. And if I can save some money, I'm even happier!
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

When you let other people tell you how to smoke cigars and spend your time you are giving in to outside control.Do you usually let people tell you what to do in other facets of your life? Smoke what you like and when you like. As far as "Aficionado" standards,it sounds like some folks are trying to appear to be experts at your expense,so ignore them.It's your palate.....
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
So, I've been a member of Cigar Asylum for only a couple months but I love the dialogue I get her, the encouragement from BOTL’s, and the wide variety of cigar related news and review. I’ve also been a member of another “CA” forum for close to two years. However, recently I’ve been blasted for some of the cigars I talk about, that they are not “up to aficionado” standards and was even suggested that I should stop talking about cigars until I work through my bad taste issues. When I mentioned that I desire to find value and work on a tight budget, it was suggested that I had it all wrong—I should smoke less often and smoke better stuff. Well, if I am currently smoking 5-8 cigars a month, averaging $5 or less a stick, should I reduce my smoking to twice a month so that I can smoke up to “Aficionado” standards?
They have Aficionado mistaken for snob.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

According to my dictionary:

"Afficianado" - (noun) A pompous jerk with undersized genitalia who feels the need to overcompensate for his shortcomings by trying to impress others.

You know, the type of person who would extol the virtues of a cigar, so long as it had the "right" band on it (even if you put that band on a Cremosa).
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #12
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

That is the exact reason I left the crappy CA.I should join back up just to start $hit with them.
In hindsight though,I went looking for a better forum and here is where I ended up...
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Do not let any of the "experts" on any board dictate what you should or should not enjoy smoking. It is after all, your money you're spending, not theirs.
(...and dont tell em about this place )

A bad cigar to one person may be another's pride & joy. His personal choices in cigars may pale in comparison to what many here smoke regularly.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #14
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Smoke what you like and can afford. There's great bundle sticks, "super premium" dog rockets, and vice versa. I smoke a lot of sticks on the golf course, and I'd rather have a tasty cheap stick burning away in the cart while I three-putt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #15
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post

"Afficianado" - (noun) A pompous jerk with undersized genitalia who feels the need to overcompensate for his shortcomings by trying to impress others.

You know, the type of person who would extol the virtues of a cigar, so long as it had the "right" band on it (even if you put that band on a Cremosa).
Great stuff right there ^^^^
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #16
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
When you let other people tell you how to smoke cigars and spend your time you are giving in to outside control.Do you usually let people tell you what to do in other facets of your life? Smoke what you like and when you like. As far as "Aficionado" standards,it sounds like some folks are trying to appear to be experts at your expense,so ignore them.It's your palate.....
Exactly right, it just got under me--not because I felt like my tastes were invalidated but just the overall arrogance of it all.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
OHRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post

I'd like a copy of your dictionary please, I know just the place to mail it to...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Great stuff right there ^^^^
Just wanted to point out that on my phone browser, your arrows point directly to the word Cremosa.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
SilverFox

While I have cigars ranging from 1.25 a stick up to ..... well .... more than that.

My daily regular is a JLP Petite Cazadore, I get em for about 36 bucks for 25.

Another favorite small stick is the El Principe coming in at around 100 for 25

I can only speak to for what I smoke but I enjoy all ranges of sticks. Will I say that my JLP are better than my Monte Especials...........well no. But do I enjoy them less or feel the need to hide the fact that I go through about 150 of em a year, hell no, I shout it from the rooftops LOL.

If people think that your sticks are pedestrian due to their price tag, you are talking to the wrong people. After all what this world really needs is a good $0.05 cigar
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

For me, a Cigar Aficionado means anyone that smokes cigars because the enjoy them.
Doesn't matter if $1 or $100.
Just someone that loves cigars.

If one looks at the definition of "aficionado":
An enthusiastic admirer or follower; a fan.

Doesn't say anything about having to smoke high end cigars or be an expert on cigars.

I think all of us on this board qualify as aficionados.