Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 11-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation
Default Oust Fan Alternatives?

I'm converting a pretty large linen closet into a humidor and am looking for a way to circulate the air.

I can't find any Oust Fans locally or online.

Anyone know of any alternatives? There's no power running to the closet (and I'm helpless at that sort of stuff), so it needs to be something battery-operated.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oust Fan Alternatives?

I have one I'll give you if we meet up this weekend. I found one at Tom Thumb but found out quickly that it takes up too much room in my vino and hardly moves any air.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Darrell

Hey James, I would think for a closet you could get some of those small desk fans and just keep them on low. If this is a decent size closet, you will need more airflow than just a few measly oust fans.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

There may not be power in the closet, but is there power on the wall in the other room facing the closet? I have a wine cooler in a closet(with wine) and I just cut a hole in the wall and had it wired to a plug in the room behind. An electrician should be able to do this for a decent price.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

I've got a few oust fans.... just let me know how many you need and I'll hook ya up. I think I have around 4 of them that aren't really in use...
Old 11-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I make fans out of 3 speed computer fans and ac adapters. They're awesome and they're quiet.
I just ordered 20 more fans, so if you need one just let me know.
I have oust fans too, but they're worthless in a big area.

Last edited by shilala; 11-20-2008 at 03:36 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
spincycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I make fans out of 3 speed computer fans and ac adapters. They're awesome and they're quiet.
I just ordered 20 more fans, so if you need one just let me know.
I have oust fans too, but they're worthless in a big area.
I've though about doing this as well! Once I move up to a vino, I'll be looking for a means to keep the air circulating inside. Don't suppose anyone has ever drilled a hole though their fridge?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

will one oust fan at the bottom of a vino be enough to move the air? The bottom rh and the top rh in my vino are only off by +/-1 but I want something to move the air a little bit.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
Raralith
Death to the Unbelievers

Trading: (24)
Bolivar
Raralith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
will one oust fan at the bottom of a vino be enough to move the air? The bottom rh and the top rh in my vino are only off by +/-1 but I want something to move the air a little bit.
A small space like a Vino can't really compare to a large space like a closet. An Oust fan though is fine for a Vino. If you are using the wire trays that came with it, circulation is fine as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
I've though about doing this as well! Once I move up to a vino, I'll be looking for a means to keep the air circulating inside. Don't suppose anyone has ever drilled a hole though their fridge?
Do it throguh the drainage pipe, or simply have the door close on it if you sealed it.
Raralith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

O2Cool makes several good sized fans that would move enough air in a closet. The downside is they require 8 D-cell batteries to operate for about 3-4 days.

If you were to buy 2-3 sets of rechargeable batteries and a trickle charger with the fan, you could theoretically just change out charged batteries every 3 days and keep the fan running in the closet.

Otherwise for simplicity, I would just run an extension cord into the closet, down the hall or wherever to an outlet for the time being. You said this was a temporary solution, so I don't see why running a good extension cord along the baseboards or up around the crown molding in your place is a bad thing.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #11
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I got my fans from Radio Shack. Just pickup a few computer CPU fans and wire them up with constant power. The Oust fans dont move much of anything and you have to replace batteries.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Wow. Thanks for the offers, guys.

Do the oust fans move substantially less air than I'm imagining them moving?

I haven't completely bought in to the massive airflow theory. I've been keeping cigars in vinos and coolers for years without fans and like the way my cigars taste. But, given the size of the closet, and the fact that it won't be completely full at inception (unlike the coolers), I just figured that a little airflow to distribute the humidity would be a good thing.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatan View Post
Yes, far less than I suspect you're imagining. Honestly to put Oust fans in a closet would be a total waste of time and space. They would do little to help.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Yes, far less than I suspect you're imagining. Honestly to put Oust fans in a closet would be a total waste of time and space. They would do little to help.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes, but you can help that by removing the cover. However, I must agree that in a closet sized humi they would be all but worthless. Indeed, get someone to put an outlet in there, and use some small electric fans on low, or let Scott hook you up!

Good luck, sounds like you'll have plenty of room(for a little while, anyway!)
Old 12-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #16
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

Quote:

i was completely let down by the extreme lack of air movement these oust fans create. i went out and grabbed 6 of them and was in shock when i turned them on! you can barely feel the air with your hand or face practicly touching the front of these fans.
lesson learnt i guess.
anything i do that involves air circulation in my humi's from now on will involve some sort of computer fan. they are relatively cheap too, so it will be worth it to grab a few of those instead of oust fans.
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Do you have an outlet in the linen closet?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Darrell

Quote:
Do you have an outlet in the linen closet?
If not, it would be worth having someone wire one. Plug a surge protector in there, run an electronic humidifier and a few small desk fans.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
If not, it would be worth having someone wire one. Plug a surge protector in there, run an electronic humidifier and a few small desk fans.
I hate to agree with you twice in one day, but you really got your game on right now.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I hate to agree with you twice in one day, but you really got your game on right now.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.