Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-08-2023, 06:42 AM   #1
flashgod
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
flashgod is on a distinguished road
Smile What is the best cigar lighter in the world?

Hello, cigar aficionados! As we all know, a great cigar experience isn't just about the cigar – it's also about the lighter. I've been using a basic lighter for a while, but I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade. S.T. Dupont lighters are often mentioned as top-notch, but I'm wondering what else is out there.

Have you guys tried any lighters that rival the quality of Dupont Lighters? I'm looking for something reliable, easy to use, and maybe a bit unique in design. It doesn't have to be super fancy or expensive, just something that does the job well and adds a bit of flair to the experience.

I've seen lighters with some neat features like windproof flames, built-in cigar punches, and even some with digital displays. What's in your pocket when you're ready to light up? Do you go for the classic and elegant, or something more modern and high-tech?

Also, any tips on lighter maintenance? I've heard that keeping your lighter in top condition is key for the best lighting experience.

Let's start a discussion! Share your favorite lighter brands, models, and why you love them. Can't wait to hear your recommendations and stories!

Last edited by markem; 12-08-2023 at 12:56 PM. Reason: links extraneous
flashgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:28 AM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: What is the best cigar lighter in the world?

Old 12-08-2023, 12:58 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Lots of lighters with as good of quality as Duponts. You don't want fancy, so why Dupont.

The quality of the lighter isn't the case. Take that away and many lighters are basically a Dupont.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

On sunny days I use a magnifying glass and the sun to light my cigars
Old 12-08-2023, 01:51 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
On sunny days I use a magnifying glass and the sun to light my cigars
#Baller
Old 12-08-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Alec Bradley kettle, just because it works great outdoors on my back patio.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Don't think I've spent more than $3 on a lighter in years. Buy 10 Eagle torches for $25 and that should last me 18 months. I'm good with averaging $16 a year on lighters.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 01:53 PM   #8
MaytagMan
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Bill
Trading: (1)
VR
MaytagMan will become famous soon enough

As long as fire comes when the button is pushed, I am all good.

I have one of those giant Lotus flip-top table lighters that I have used for years. It was branded and had a black coating on it - I got it in a bomb way back when. Most of the coating has rubbed off, it is scarred, and the lid is a little loose, but it still lights every time.

I have a drawer full of other lighters and such too, and I usually have a Bic or two around we well.

Now I do have a DuPont fountain pen, but that is a whole other problem that I have... lolol
Old 12-09-2023, 04:53 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Vector Thundra. Bring It To Every Herf And It's Never Failed Over The Last 10+ Years!
https://vectorkgm.com/official/thundra-lighter/
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 09:17 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I love my Cobra oxy-acetylene torch. Nothing else quite compares.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 08:38 AM   #11
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Most cigar smokers I know sound like a lot of what's been posted here so far: They'd rather focus spending their money on cigars, more so than lighters. So many reliable flames out there that cost a maximum of $20. Honestly, I'd rather have four $5 lighters than one for $20.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #12
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Anything inexpensive but with a lifetime warranty. Lotus and Palio come to mind. Any model will work but prefer double or triple torch.
Old 12-12-2023, 11:42 AM   #13
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Don't think I've spent more than $3 on a lighter in years. Buy 10 Eagle torches for $25 and that should last me 18 months. I'm good with averaging $16 a year on lighters.
We use the same lighter, lol. They last me quite a while. They're my carry around lighter. Pretty sure the last one lasted me a year. Current one probably won't - it's getting wonky after 6 months.

Don't know about the best lighter in the world, but my favorite is the old Prince PB-207. Picked up my first one back in the Jungle. There were several group buys on them way back then. I still have three of them and they just keep on truckin'.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:07 PM   #14
Brandon
Trout chaser

Brandon is on a distinguished road

The prince pocket torch I bought in 2000 lasted me over 15 years before failing.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #15
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Dunhill and Davidoff are of the same quality and I think in some eras/models are made by the same company.

If you want save money, but a used Dupont/Davidoff/Dunhill on Craigslist and have it serviced if needed. They all end up leaking, so expect a service every 4-5 years.

The Dupont's can be finicky with the refills.

If used is too much, just buy a fake Dupont. You won't be able to tell the difference other than the material content if even that is different.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:33 PM   #16
MaytagMan
Adjusting to the Life

VR
MaytagMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Dunhill and Davidoff are of the same quality and I think in some eras/models are made by the same company.

If you want save money, but a used Dupont/Davidoff/Dunhill on Craigslist and have it serviced if needed. They all end up leaking, so expect a service every 4-5 years.

The Dupont's can be finicky with the refills.

If used is too much, just buy a fake Dupont. You won't be able to tell the difference other than the material content if even that is different.

A buddy turned me on to a guy in the Netherlands who services and sells vintage lighters - Dupont, Cartier, Dunhill, etc. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've been looking. His IG is @the_lighterhouse
Old 12-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
We use the same lighter, lol. They last me quite a while. They're my carry around lighter. Pretty sure the last one lasted me a year. Current one probably won't - it's getting wonky after 6 months.

Don't know about the best lighter in the world, but my favorite is the old Prince PB-207. Picked up my first one back in the Jungle. There were several group buys on them way back then. I still have three of them and they just keep on truckin'.
I loved those PB 207s, Bill. Do you think the ones they make/sell now are the same quality as the ones from the Club Stogie days?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagMan View Post
A buddy turned me on to a guy in the Netherlands who services and sells vintage lighters - Dupont, Cartier, Dunhill, etc. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I've been looking. His IG is @the_lighterhouse
I know a guy who operates out of a '92 gray chevy panel van with obscured license plates who sells vintage dupont lighters too. They are right next to the stack of car stereos.

What a coincidence.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #19
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

I use a Bic, but I obviously have the Davidoff Rose Gold cover for it. I'm not uncultured

Old 12-13-2023, 12:22 PM   #20
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I loved those PB 207s, Bill. Do you think the ones they make/sell now are the same quality as the ones from the Club Stogie days?
That's a good question. Are the new ones still made in Japan? Seems like quality is an ever declining concept today, but who knows?

I dug my three old PBs out and they all still work fine. One is old enough it doesn't even have the flip-up safety lever on it. Found some other lighters and punches I hadn't seen for a while too. I seriously need to clean out the drawer on the Aristocrat.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote