Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sweet Leatherman Tool Jewelry

It's the Leatherman Tread. Be sure to catch the video.
If I wore a watch, this would be it.
I can't imagine it being all that useful or functional, but it'd certainly be nice in a pinch.
The bracelet by itself, although insanely cool, I wouldn't buy. I just plain wouldn't wear it.
Despite my silly objections, I find myself in awe of it.
I just wanted to know what you guys think.
Thanks!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sweet Leatherman Tool Jewelry

Very cool, all it needs is the cutting laser, spilling saw blade bevel rim and a retractable garrote!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Macgyver!!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:49 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Couldn't wear it with a sweater; all that stuff would get snagged on the cuffs.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:14 AM   #5
JLMraider
In vino veritas

First Name: Jonathon
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
JLMraider is on a distinguished road

I dig it. Not bad looking and functional-ish
JLMraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I see it as a niche tool and fashion accessory. The latter being far more likely.

Limited functionality aside, I'd never buy or wear something like this as I'd be concerned about what might happen to your wrist if you catch this on something that could be potentially dangerous; examples like stepping off the platform of a moving vehicle, or moving / rotating machinery, a heavy falling object, etc. And this has a lot to get caught on. Watches have multiple pins that will fail when they get pulled that hard, this has hardened screws, they aren't going to give. There looks like there might be one pin in the clasp, but with the clasp closed, I don't know how easy that will be to break. After all, the band was built with the intent of being used as a wrench handle when flattened out. I think you might break or tear before it does.

It is neat though.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Nice Watch, But I Wouldn't Pay $500-600 For It, Suggested Retail.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Nice idea, but that's huge money for a simple set of tools, regardless of how convenient it may be. It's also not clear to me how much use some of those bits are -- can you get enough torque to be useful?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I thought more about the company president's comment about how this all came out of the time he was told he couldn't take his skeletool into Disneyland because they classified it as a weapon, yet to him it was just a tool. You'd think that the CEO would be aware there is a 4" blade in the skeletool...

<insert obvious tool joke here>

How about just making a pocket tool that doesn't have a knife blade if you can't live without having a set of pliers and screw drivers on you at all times? Even Victorinox and Wenger, the two manufacturers of the "Swiss Army Knife" have models which have no knives in them as to be compliant with weapon restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Nice idea, but that's huge money for a simple set of tools, regardless of how convenient it may be. It's also not clear to me how much use some of those bits are -- can you get enough torque to be useful?
Think about how a normal metal link watch band flattens out when you lay it on the counter with the watch face up or face down. Imagine the tool you want being located at one of the edges of the band where it rolls under, the whole rest of the band has now become a handle for leverage in rotating the tool. Clumsy, yes, but I would think it should be able to hold up to whatever minor use it will be used for. It's not like you're going to use it to pull the head bolts on a lawnmower or something.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I understood about how the band makes a "handle" for the bit you want to use, but I just cannot imagine that the band makes all that good a handle -- with all those edges and gaps. Yes, you are not going to pull head bolts with a Leatherman tool, but I have used mine in situations that required a bit of torque, where I cannot imagine using the Tread tool.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I carry a Leatherman Wave on my belt daily. I've carried it for umpteen years.
I use the knife, pliers, and screwdrivers regularly, the rest of the stuff, very seldom.
I've been trying to figure out how I'd use this thing. In my world, it's not much of a fit, but there have to be plenty of people where it'd be ideal. Maybe skatepunks and bicyclists, stuff of that nature?

I still can't help loving that watch, but I agree with Greg.
At $500-600, I sure won't be using it to hammer out kinks in sheet metal. I'd be afraid to turn a screw with it.
Plus, you obviously lose links for the watch, and the tools along with it.
I do suppose it'd be fun for awhile while you show it to everyone you know, cause it's undeniably interesting.

I'd like the watch and band less the tools. I love the links and screws look. It's kind of art deco, steampunk meets high tech. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Here are a couple more things in the same vein...
Kinekt Jewelry.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #13
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I understood about how the band makes a "handle" for the bit you want to use, but I just cannot imagine that the band makes all that good a handle -- with all those edges and gaps. Yes, you are not going to pull head bolts with a Leatherman tool, but I have used mine in situations that required a bit of torque, where I cannot imagine using the Tread tool.
Ahh, seems I misunderstood your post.

Yeah, I never thought it would be all that great of a tool either, more like a fashion accessory that is slightly more effective a tool than your fingernail.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #14
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

While cool, I'm stick with my pocket multi tool. It's similar to the one below except it has 4 tools per side. It's 2.5 inches when closed and comes in handy all the time. Picked it up at Lowe's 7-8 years ago for $5.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I'll end up getting one just for the cool/gear/guy factor
Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
I'll end up getting one just for the cool/gear/guy factor
You Be The "Guinea Pig", Brother!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #17
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
You Be The "Guinea Pig", Brother!
Kind of like "hold my beer and watch this"
Old 01-28-2015, 07:49 PM   #18
JLMraider
In vino veritas

First Name: Jonathon
Trading: (0)
Army (Active)
JLMraider is on a distinguished road

The bracelet itself is just $150-$200 depending on which finish you want. I'm sure I could find a comparable or suitable watch face to add to it for less than $300. May need some "modifying" to make it fit...
JLMraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #19
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Kind of like "hold my beer and watch this"
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 AM   #20
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMraider View Post
The bracelet itself is just $150-$200 depending on which finish you want. I'm sure I could find a comparable or suitable watch face to add to it for less than $300. May need some "modifying" to make it fit...
Ya, I wouldn't be buying the watch, just bracelet.