Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 12:38 PM   #421
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Thanks Scott. The scab on the tree with the best fruit (the one most pruned this spring), is pretty bad. Almost half the apples are split open on larger scabs. The scab is all over the leaves too. If the scab was only cosmetic I wouldn't mess with sprays, I'd just prune more in spring and thin out in June. I will be pruning more and I'm going to try the vinegar solution spray in the spring to see if it works. I've read it works on scab. If it works on one fungal issue (scab) it's likely to work on the other two, I just haven't read any direct reports of success on blotch/speck.

I'm tempted to try some grafting to produce more trees and have multiple varieties on each tree. It should help with pollination too. What I've watched on U-toob and read online makes it seem fairly easy.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #422
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Beans being harvested!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 AM   #423
kansashat
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Alan
Trading: (0)
kansashat is on a distinguished road

Bought 90 spring crocus bulbs/corms recently. They appealed to me because they come up very early & you can mow them down on your first mow of the season & they go dormant til the next spring.

It slowly dawned on my pea brain that I had to dig 90 holes. LOL

I guess I need to buy a bulb auger, so can plant them quickly & effficiently within the next month or so.

Next spring should bring a nice, if short termed show.
kansashat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #424
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Crap, forgot to look for garlic yesterday. Getting close to time to plant for next springs harvest.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #425
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The Park Seed catalog landed on my desk today. It sure doesn't feel like time to start planting seeds indoors.
I don't think I need to start anything yet unless Weeze wants flowers. It'd be good to start tobacco soon if I'm going to set it out this year.

I'm excited to have a nice season, last year was a total catastrophe.
I'll settle for a marginal season, even.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #426
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
8zeros will become famous soon enough

I just read this whole thread. Y'all have some nice gardens. I'll probly put in some peppers & 'maters & melons & corn & ...
Startin to sound like work. Have to wait a few months. Meanwhile I guess I could clear out the dead plants from last year.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #427
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Need some non-GMO seeds? Good deal right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-26-2014, 11:45 PM   #428
manolotano
Just in from the Storm

manolotano is on a distinguished road

I need to start planing for food, but instead have a proplem planting to much landscape. Shrubs, plants, flowers, etc are all over. Proplem is I can't eat them! Living in the south there's nothing better then smoking a beautiful looking at a beautiful landscape. Anyone else have this proplem?
manolotano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #429
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, Scott, last year was crap. New life right around the corner.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #430
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Spring is right around the corner. Anyone in southern PA should hit me up when it warms up if you want some free veggie plants.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #431
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Went and bought a seedling tray and heat mat. I've not had much luck planting from seeds, but I bought that pack of heirloom seeds and want to give it a try. Starting onion (red/Spanish) and four types of tomato. As it gets closer to spring, I'll be starting more seeds. Looks like I need to find more room in the backyard. Gonna try watermelon and cantaloupe.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #432
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, Bob!

I harvested the last of the Brussels sprouts and cabbage this weekend. Got enough for a couple of messes of each. Tomatoes and peppers in the sights for the end of March. Wonder if the neighbors would know if I planted a bunch of sativas? Bet my employer wouldn't like it and would certainly free up my future. Guess I'll stick with traditional crops...
Old 02-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #433
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

The wife and I really want to plant a nice garden but we're not sure if we'll be moving or not. Lease on our house ends in May and owner wants to sell. Looks like we'll be going month-to-month for awhile until we find somewhere else to put down roots.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #434
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Well, I am by no means much of a gardener (much better at providing meat!), but Holly has been wanting one for a long time so I figured it was about that time. Fortunately my mother-in-laws boyfriend has a green thumb and was willing to help me with the building and creation of this little plot.

Got tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, hot peppers, sweet peppers, mint, basil, cilantro, a couple of different lettuces and greens and probably more...it's all starting to run together!

After all of that...

Man, I'm tired!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:43 AM   #435
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I'm still working on getting my raised garden built, but for now I'm doing some inside gardening. I have an avocado tree, green onions, celery, and sweet peppers all growing in my kitchen.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #436
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Garden spot plowed. A couple weeks late in planting my early crops, but was occupied by granddaughter's birth two weeks ago. But its a good start. Waxy red potatoes (foreground in raised rows), two types of cabbage (45 day and 75 day maturity), yellow onions and broccoli.

Potatoes, cabbage and Onion

Broccoli and east half of garden

West half of garden
Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #437
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Wow, I wish I had a plot that size to plant.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #438
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Garden spot plowed. A couple weeks late in planting my early crops, but was occupied by granddaughter's birth two weeks ago. But its a good start. Waxy red potatoes (foreground in raised rows), two types of cabbage (45 day and 75 day maturity), yellow onions and broccoli.
What did you plow your garden with? What kind of equip?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #439
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
...Fortunately my mother-in-laws boyfriend has a green thumb and was willing to help me with the building and creation of this little plot

After all of that...

Man, I'm tired!
Are you sure this wasn't while your mother-in-laws boyfriend was 'helping'

This is my vegetable garden (around 330 squarefeet-ish). It’s not located on my own premises, but rented nearby (due to a somewhat small and toys overtaken garden at home). It’s a bit chaotic at the moment and there is still a lot of work to do. Currently planted/sown:
  • miscellaneous herbs
  • 4 types of garlic
  • French/grey shallots
  • Radish
  • Broad beans
  • Marrowfat peas
  • rhubarb
  • Blackberries
  • Blackcurrant
  • lots of strawberries

Ofcourse there is a lot more to come now that the season is starting.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #440
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Are you sure this wasn't while your mother-in-laws boyfriend was 'helping'
No, I'm sure it was after he left. He's about 10 years older than me, and was moving around like he was 20 years younger than me. There was NO way I was going to slack off while he was there. Fortunately he left and I was able to recover for a while