Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road
Default Bucanero Salsa

Bucanero Salsa

Cigar Stats:
Size: 6 x 54 Belicoso (box-pressed)
Wrapper: Dark Havana Seed Criollo 2000
Binder: Honduras
Filler: Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
Cutter: Generic Guillotine
Lighter: Generic torch
Beverage: None

Pre-Smoke:
This cigar has a velvety, silky dark wrapper that is very impressive. The aroma is slight, but gives hints of coffee, maybe a little spice. The wrapper is smooth with very slight veins and the cap has a small pigtail. It cut easily and the draw was very free. I was a little concerned with the draw because it was almost too easy, but the cigar seemed packed well and had no soft spots. This was a very well constructed cigar.

1st third:
Bam!! Now I know why they call this cigar the “Salsa”. Right away you are hit with spice that was not evident in the pre-light aroma. It is a black pepper or chili pepper type of spice that coats your lips, tongue and back of your throat. Now don’t take that negatively because the flavor was great (I like spicy smokes) and the cigar was not harsh, just spicy. Along with the spice were hints of chocolate and coffee, very nice so far. The burn was perfect.

2nd third:
The spice is still evident but is tapering off. Now the coffee and chocolate are coming to the forefront. You can also taste the Nicaraguan flavor (if that makes sense) coming through in the background. The cigar is burning perfectly, no touch-ups. It is very smooth, not harsh at all.

Final third:
The spice is gone and so is the coffee. The flavors have transitioned to lots of chocolate and Nicaraguan tobacco. The burn is still excellent. Originally I was concerned with the easy draw, but the cigar smoked beautifully, never hot or harsh. I smoked it down to the nub.

Overall, I would highly recommend this cigar. It was very complex with the flavors changing up the whole way, but staying smooth. It was perfect in the construction and burn departments. On a 1-10 scale for strength, I would rate it an 8 or 9 (mostly for the spice, not the nicotine). On a 1-20 overall scale I would rate it a 19. Thank you, Bucanero.
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bucanero Salsa

Thanks for the review. Not sure I like the name of this stick, but it sounds like a good one.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
RaiderinKS

Default Re: Bucanero Salsa

Bucanero has some good smokes. For some reason, they aren't all that popular, and some of them are a little odd, but they do lots in terms of mixing up the flavors without being an infusion tobacco.