Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #1
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about
Default Need help with online courses for teachers

I need some help. My wife needs to take some online course to get credits for her teaching certificate. Do you all know of any university etc that offers go at your own pace course for teachers.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thank you,

Jay
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
cinderella
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
cinderella is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help with online courses for teachers

Is she looking for master's or undergrad courses? There are several colleges in MN that offer online or correspondence courses and most are rather reasonable. The University of St. Thomas and St. Scholastica are two that I have used in the past. (Both for master's courses.) Hope this helps.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

I would contact your local community colleges. Ask them if they have an "Educator Preparation Institute" or a similar sounding program.

I live near Orlando and am currently involved in the EPI at Valencia Community College. They have hybrid (meet once a week and do online assignments) and pure online courses. I doubt many would have go-at-your-own-pace, though. In my case, each course is 8 weeks long.

Website for reference: www.valenciacc.edu/epi

Hope this helps.

I'm a teacher too, didn't major in Education though, and am in a similar situation to your wife - needing to take courses to complete my certificate.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
ridmaster

Try Western Governors University. www.wgu.edu They have a teachers college and they are fully accredited and reasonably priced. I got my BS from their technology school and an MBA from their business school. PM me if you want details.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

I am a hs teacher and most counties where I live have deals worked out with local colleges that offer a program for new and current teachers. I would check out the online resources from your county and they should point you in the right direction.

Personal side, I went to George Washington University, and part of my program was working in a school for a year and taking the decided courses. Because I was working in the school almost all of my classes were paid for by the county, thereby saving me almost 30k and I finished with a Masters in Education. So do some research into the local offers and you could save yourself a ton of money.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. She ended up finding a place through Eastern Oregon University and it was fully accredited. She needed this for her continuing education credits. I will keep all of these in my back pocket.

We just have to hope now that all of the timing works out for getting her license renewed.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote