Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default How long?

How long do you let your newly purchased cigars sit/rest in the humi before you decide to try one? What is a good time frame?
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How long?

I guess my rule of thumb is to give everything two weeks to acclimate but, in practice, when I throw something in my humi, it usually stays there for at least six months before I touch it anyway.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

For me it seems 3-4 weeks. Anything less and I'm guaranteeing myself a really $hitty burn. Maybe it'll smoke alright but there will certainly be many touch ups.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Depends. If I'm excited, one goes up ASAP. Depending on how it smokes, may try a couple more. Usually let the rest sit 3 weeks to 3 months. Lots of mail order smokes come wet, so a few days to a week in a dry box doesn't hurt.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

If I get it from c-bid, a month or so unless I've been looking forward to it then 3 minutes. Usually end up with a couple relights, but never had big issues with them.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
How long do you let your newly purchased cigars sit/rest in the humi before you decide to try one? What is a good time frame?
rule of 3's
Old 09-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

First off it goes in the fridge then the freezer the next day for a week. After that I let it sit in the humo for at least 2 weeks but most of the time they end up sitting for about a month.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

They're just cigars there are no rules. If you feel inclined burn one as soon as you open the package(I have done this many times). If you feel better letting them rest for a week or two then do that. If you want to age them for several years, bury them in your cooler or cabinet and smoke something else.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
For me it seems 3-4 weeks. Anything less and I'm guaranteeing myself a really $hitty burn. Maybe it'll smoke alright but there will certainly be many touch ups.
What he said...
Old 09-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
rule of 3's
Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I usually smoke the first one 9 minutes off the truck, then 9 hours off the truck, then 9 days off the truck, then 9 weeks off the truck, then 9 months off the truck.

This is called the rule of 9s.

Of course this only holds true if I don't smoke any inbetween those particular times.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
rule of 3's
I was wondering when someone was going to say that!!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

I always smoke the first one right off the truck to see how well they've fared from the trip. The rest get smoked when I want to smoke them and don't pay much attention to storage time.

My rule of thumb is....... I don't want to die with vacation time or cigars left over.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Usually 2-4 Weeks In My Humi @ 65%RH.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I guess my rule of thumb is to give everything two weeks to acclimate but, in practice, when I throw something in my humi, it usually stays there for at least six months before I touch it anyway.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Personal preference for sure...mine is to let sit in my vinos for 3-4 weeks at 62% humidity, 62 degrees.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
darkninja67

ROTT for me sometimes.
and waiting 3-4 weeks?? smoke much????
Old 09-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 View Post
ROTT for me sometimes.
and waiting 3-4 weeks?? smoke much????
Bill...I got three vinos and a large desktop loaded to the gills. Plenty to smoke while waiting for the new ones to rest.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
darkninja67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Bill...I got three vinos and a large desktop loaded to the gills. Plenty to smoke while waiting for the new ones to rest.
I see it just like getting a present. I want to try it out right then and there. Some cigars are really great fresh as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

That is why I like fivers. I an excited to be smoking what I bought. I do not want to wait forever. So I normally will let them sit for a week or so then smoke. After I have had the first one, my excitement has died down and they can sit for weeks.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote