Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
Bad Finger

Default Berger & Argenti Clasico Corona Review

Cigar: Berger & Argenti Clasico

Size: Corona 4 1/2in x 46 ring gauge

Filler: Nicaraguan

Binder: Nicaraguan Corojo

Wrapper: Ecuadorian “Desflorado” Connecticut

Price: Under $100 per box of 20

Press Release: “Bestowed the annual Robb Report ‘Best of the Best’ cigar award for 2010, CLASICO® is comprised of meticulously blended bold and deeply aged Nicaraguan filler tobaccos cultivated at Tabacalera Esteli, its rich farmland widely considered by cigar makers as among the finest in Nicaragua for filler tobaccos. The Cuban seed Nicaraguan fillers are sheathed in a sumptuous Nicaraguan Corojo binder and skillfully enveloped in a stalk-cut, molasses-colored Ecuadorian Connecticut seed ‘Desflorado’ wrapper; exhibiting a well-balanced, full-bodied character bursting with a confluence of sweet and spicy flavors. CLASICO® offers exceptional value through its impeccable craftsmanship: the new brand is hecho a mano totalmente – completely crafted by hand – without aid of any mechanical devices and fashioned with a mounted, triple cap at the head of each cigar.

CLASICO® is available in four exquisite sizes: ‘Corona Gorda’ (4 ½”x 46); ‘Rothschild’ (5” x 50); ‘Belicoso’ (5 ¾” x 50); and ‘Churchill’ (7” x 50). Twenty (20) CLASICO® cigars are thoughtfully presented in unpretentiously elegant Spanish cedar boxes with a suggested retail price ranging from $4.50 to $7.50 per cigar, offering exceptional value and affordability.

“CLASICO® is in a league of its own, it is the epitome of superior value,” stated Michael Argenti, president of Berger & Argenti Premium Cigars. “From its rich tobaccos to its exacting craftsmanship and bold, complex flavor, this brand represents our vision of delivering satisfaction and value to even the most discriminating cigar enthusiasts.” ”

Pre-Light: A pre-light smell of the body and foot reveal scents of leather and a fermented tobacco with a slight ammonia aroma from the foot. The cigar is wrapped in a caramel colored, flawless Ecuadorian Connecticut ‘Desflorado’ wrapper which they stalk cut & cured. That means that after they’ve primed all of the other leaves on the plant, they leave the top 3 or 4 corona leaves on top (Desflorado = ‘beneath the flower’ ) then they cut the entire stalk and hang it to cure in the barn for about 60 days. This gives that wrapper a much richer color and more complex flavor. The only 3 cigars that I am aware of that use this method currently are the Berger & Argenti Clasico and Entubar lines, and Drew Estates’ Liga Privada T-52, which is the only stalk cured maduro. The Clasico features a triple cap that is expertly applied and a quick snip with my cutter makes easy work of the top cap. A dry draw brings a sweet tobacco and hay flavor to the back of my throat.

1/3rd: Huge amounts of spice greet me on the lighting of this corona sized gem. I have yet to be let down by the flavor of a B&A stick, and this is no exception. From the Entubar to the Quad-Maduro and V32; Berger & Argenti have been throwing down the gauntlet as of late when it comes to massive flavors and wonderful construction. Creamy notes of wood and leather wind their way into the mix as I near the halfway point. The spice that I was blasted with in the beginning has subsided now for an underlying note of caramel and cinnamon.

½ Way: Starting the halfway mark with a retro-hale exhibits a butteriness followed by a bit more spice. The main flavors remind me of Spiced and Candied Roasted Nuts my mother would make for us during the holidays. There is an aroma of damp leather that penetrates the nutty notes and ushers in the spice now. It is a thoroughly potent smoke, giving me the “Nic-Ups” (Hiccups brought on by nicotine) before I even reach the final third of the cigar.

Final 3rd: Taking my first puffs from the final third immediately change from a leathery flavor to a spicy and creamy coffee taste. The exhale brings in more wood, but the creaminess lingers, and remains my mouth for what seems to be over a minute. While chelated, the ash seems to be firm and holding strong, often growing over 2 inches prior to needing to be tapped gently into the ashtray.

Final Thoughts: While the Clasico does burn a bit quicker than the Entubar and Quad-Maduro offerings, this cigar is definitely one to keep an eye out for. Gigantic bold flavors run over your senses like a bull on speed, leaving you back in your chair wondering what has just slapped you in the face. The cigar burned 100% even the entire time, and never required any touch ups or relights. While the cigar has impressed me so far, I would love to see what it would offer after some age. A solid winner all around and a cigar I would definitely buy to add to my collection. At under $100 a box, this is cigar that has one of the highest “bang for the buck” values we’ve reviewed to date.

To see the pics and final score, go to dailytobacconist.com
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice
Default Re: Berger & Argenti Clasico Corona Review

Nice review
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review Clancy. I don't hate the Clasico but it's not one of my preferred smokes.

I think Ed is going to try to bring Al Argenti out to Portland sometime this spring -- something to look forward to!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
LigaPrivadaT84

I've been looking to try these; thanks for the review.