Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Katmancross

Default Bauza- A Fuente Secret

My wife and I were walking around her hometown of Fulda, Germany. We had managed to save for the trip. And we had 3 glorious weeks to enjoy, and for my wife to reminisce.We were sitting on the steps of the Dome Church. Eating some cheese and french bread. Upon completion, I raised my face to the sun and felt all its glory.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a Bauza. This is a very special cigar. Fuente developed it in 1980 but it's been off the radar screen for most cigar lovers and Fuente smokers. Only a few stores carry the line. I was fortunate to have a friend recommend it.

The filler and binder is Dominican. The wrapper is a sweet Ecuadorian.I chose to bring several Churchills. My favorite size. It gives you the time to enjoy the build up of flavors and strength.

The pre light aroma was leather, cedar and lemon peel. That citrus scent was intoxicating.I nipped the end with my Xikar cutter. I began to toast the end. I could smell the woody aroma. Wonderful.

The construction on this stick is well done. It's firm in the hand. Not too loose or too tight. I was able to draw on it without a problem. It did have a fair share of veins, though.

I immediately got a hint of spice and creaminess. A few puffs later, I got the orange peel. This was a pleasant addition. As I smoked, I leaned back on the steps and just took in the people and sights. My wife was telling me childhood stories.

The ground in front of me was completely made of cobble stones. Big stones. I'd hate to ride a bike on this. Women with baby buggies took their children out of the strollers because it was too bumpy.I stared at the cigar as the smoke billowed. The ash was gray/white and burning perfectly.

The first third was basically spice, creaminess, orange peel, and wood. It remained a mild to medium body. But I could tell it was building.

A mime was doing his thing for the tourists. Everyone hates mimes so it was an annoyance rather than fun for most people. I prayed that he wouldn't come our way but he did. He pretended to smoke a cigar. He stood there for what seemed like hours. I wanted to smack him with a sap, but had none on me. So I looked the other way hoping he'd notice that I wasn't interested. No such luck. He started to dance and mince around me going up and down the steps. Just as he passed me, my wife stuck out her foot and he tumbled. He wasn't hurt, but he got the message.

By this time, I was into the second third of the stick. It was remaining consistent. There wasn't a lot of complexity but the flavors of spice, creaminess, and citrus became a little more prominent. My wife asked how I liked the cigar and I just winked at her and gave her a thumbs up.

At the halfway point, the spiciness ramped up along with the other flavors. It was getting more complex as the flavors swirled around each other.

Into the last third, the cigar became fuller in body. The flavor of almonds jumped into the fray. A very nutty accompaniment to the spice. It was very toasty and buttery. The long wait was becoming worth it. The stick went into full body mode the last couple of inches and and I got a little light headed.

So I slowed down. I grabbed a bottle of water and took a few slugs. I saw a left over piece of bread and shoved that down my gullet.

I went back to the cigar and it was overwhelmingly tasty. All those flavors had turned into a well played symphony.It wasn't getting hot or harsh or bitter as I approached the nub so I kept on smoking. I finally had to let go before it would burn my fingers.

I turned to my wife and asked, “You wanna' go now?” She nodded and we got up and dusted ourselves off.

“Come. I want to show you my school.”

I was really glad I had brought 5 more sticks of Bauza with me.

Country of Manufacturer: Dominican Republic

Size: 71/2 x 5

Strength: Medium-Full

Wrapper: Ecuadorian

Filler: Domincan

Binderominican

Last edited by 68TriShield; 01-21-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bauza- A Fuente Secret

Really nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

WOW! I haven't had a Bauza in like forever. I used to chase them, a long time ago. Another nice review, thanks!
Tripped the mime, made me LOL!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I have a box of Bauza Jaguars resting in my cabinet. Smoked one when I first got the box. It was a bit young but they should improve over time. Bauza's are what really got me into smoking cigars. The flavor was so unique. Thanks for the review, really liked it.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Katmancross

www.mikescigars.com sent me a couple to try. Thanks to Oded. I had never tried one until now.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I have a few in the ole humi... not a bad smoke.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote