Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #361
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

actually, a "pipebid" wouldn't be too bad. i'd be down for a place that has a lot of pipe tobacco that goes for a lot cheaper than it does in B&Ms.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #362
Paulmac
CA Noob Ambassador

Trading: (0)
Paulmac is on a distinguished road

I want pipebid!
SWMBO surely does not
Old 02-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #363
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
If they're not grungy-nasty-oxydized-brown-and-green vulcanite then it's easy. Rout them out with bristle pipecleaners dipped in Everclear (or any other highproof option like 91% isopropyl or vodka). You can clean dried yuk around the buttons with toothpaste or baking soda and a soft toothbrush.

Nasty on the outside vulcanite takes a little more effort. Which is it?
Nasty on the outside, I assume its Vulcanite (they're on mid to nice briars). Some are worse than others. The really bad ones have changed colors, but most of the bad ones just have a slightly visible crystallization on the outside of them. The good ones look fine but still taste like **** when you lick the outside.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:55 AM   #364
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX2010 View Post
pipesandcigars.com
smokingspipes.com
4noggins.com
marscigars.com

any of those will be a good place to find tobacco, unfortunately (by that I mean thank the Lord) there's no "pipebid" out there
4 great sources...I could add one more to the list...

cupojoes.com
Old 02-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #365
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Nasty on the outside, I assume its Vulcanite... the good ones look fine but still taste like **** when you lick the outside.
I heard there are people who sell used pipes and they pee (or worse) on the stems before they ship them. Never knew why. I always clean and sterilize each pipe I buy in case... you know.

Scour the inside of the stem with a bristle cleaner and alcohol, then:

I never tried this but a reliable hardcase told me a tablespoon of OxiClean in a quart of water soaks nasty vulcanite clean in 30-minutes or longer and, he said, doesn't think it'll hurt any ink or nomenclature on a stem. Do a test soak first if there's any nomenclature you care about on these pipestems. Sounds like the easy way to me.

There is the traditional soak in 100% chlorine bleach. It really works well but will damage nomenclature on a stem unless it's covered with a dab of Vaseline. Bleach takes an hour or three and it leaves vulcanite black as ink but feeling a bit furry. After a bleach soak (and water rinse) it'll need to be rubbed out with mild polishing abrasive. I never used sandpaper to clean stems - only MicroMesh polishing cloth (1500-12,000 for perfection). Depending on how furry the stems are post-bleach you may be able to skip sanding and find that a paper towel rubdown with toothpaste and/or baking soda will finish things up nicely.

Finish with a light rub of olive oil.

I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser followed by toothpaste once. I thought it worked so-so; no trick to try it - some people swear by Magic Eraser. Personally I didn't think it worked very well (but it worked so-so, right?) on bad oxidation, I hate the feel of the things in my hand and I felt it needed a lot of rubbing pressure. Try that if you have one around. Nothing ventured. Any of these processes will make vulcanite or ebonite stems look like new and render them tasteless.

Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-27-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Mister Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #366
reverett

Well, I would have a question, but (over the course of the preceeding few days) I read this thread all the way through and you have answered everything I can think of! Good Show! Thanks Old Farts! (and Pipe kid)
Old 02-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #367
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

, thanks, I'll give the oxiclean a try.

PEE?
fortunately all my pipes are from my grandfather's estate, no ebaying for me
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #368
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...There is the traditional soak in 100% chlorine bleach. It really works well but will damage nomenclature on a stem unless it's covered with a dab of Vaseline. Bleach takes an hour or three and it leaves vulcanite black as ink but feeling a bit furry. After a bleach soak (and water rinse) it'll need to be rubbed out with mild polishing abrasive. I never used sandpaper to clean stems - only MicroMesh polishing cloth (1500-12,000 for perfection). Depending on how furry the stems are post-bleach you may be able to skip sanding and find that a paper towel rubdown with toothpaste and/or baking soda will finish things up nicely.

Finish with a light rub of olive oil.....
Olive Oil can turn rancid sitting on the stem of a pipe if you don't rotate it fast enough...you're better off buying a can of Briar Pipe Wipe and some Handi-Wipes and making yourself some great polishing cloths...Briar Pipe Wipe has Mink Oil, Beeswax, and Lemon Oil in it...much better than olive oil...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #369
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
, thanks, I'll give the oxiclean a try.
if you soak it in oxiclean, put a dab of Vaseline on any markings on the stem.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #370
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Olive Oil can turn rancid sitting on the stem of a pipe if you don't rotate it fast...

I must be a fast roto-tater; never experienced a rancid pipe (neither do I coat my pipestems until they're soggy).
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #371
woops
deep in thought

Trading: (5)
woops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never tried this but a reliable hardcase told me a tablespoon of OxiClean in a quart of water soaks nasty vulcanite clean in 30-minutes or longer and, he said, doesn't think it'll hurt any ink or nomenclature on a stem. Do a test soak first if there's any nomenclature you care about on these pipestems. Sounds like the easy way to me.
I've used Oxiclean an a few ULTRA nasty vulcanite stems. I was real generous and didn't measure when I did this. Stems didn't have a nomenclature, so that wasn't a worry for my particular cleaning. I can say that the Oxiclean worked great! The stem was so nasty that the soak fizzed and bubbled when I dropped it in .... as if I had added an Alka-Seltzer.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #372
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

grocery store run scheduled for tomorrow, I'll pick up some oxiclean.

WHY the olive oil or pipe oil or anything for that matter. Or rather, the real question - what happens if you do nothing?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #373
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

Bolivar

Quote:
grocery store run scheduled for tomorrow, I'll pick up some oxiclean.

WHY the olive oil or pipe oil or anything for that matter. Or rather, the real question - what happens if you do nothing?
The pipes end up looking dull...
Old 02-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #374
Demented

Quote:
Applying oil to vulcanite stems retards oxidization. I prefer USP (food grade) mineral oil, its colorless, odorless and imparts no flavor of its own, better still it's cheap and will not go rancid.

p.s. it’s sold in supermarkets and pharmacies as a laxative.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #375
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Ahhhhh, "retards oxidation", dems is the magical words , definately need that since I won't be rotating through the pipes all that much. Thanks!

*adds laxitive to grocery store list*

oxiclean and laxitive.... should look good going through the checkout. I'll just tell him the doc told me to clean out my colon but I coulfnt afford "dem fancy medicines"
Posted via Mobile Device
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #376
Demented

Quote:
Ahhhhh, "retards oxidation", dems is the magical words , definately need that since I won't be rotating through the pipes all that much. Thanks!
That rubber stuff will oxidize in time no matter how often the pipe is smoked. Prevention is better than polishing IMO.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #377
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

Quote:
oxiclean and laxitive.... should look good going through the checkout. I'll just tell him the doc told me to clean out my colon but I coulfnt afford "dem fancy medicines"
Posted via Mobile Device
Nice Francis
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #378
BigFrank
5 3 1

Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Looks more like you plan on crapping your pants!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #379
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Looks more like you plan on crapping your pants!!!
Same end result, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
spectrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #380
billyrayvalentin
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
billyrayvalentin is on a distinguished road

I just landed a sampler in the Newbie Pipe Tobacco Trade with English blends, Aromatics, and Vapers. I remember reading something about certain pipe tobacco's soaking up the aromas in the air around them.

Is it okay to keep several different blends in close proximity to each other as long as they are all in their tins or zip locked?

Would there be any reason to separate certain blends from the rest?

Could several different blends be kept together in a mason jar or other sealed container as long as they are all individually zip locked?

Thanks in advance.
billyrayvalentin is offline   Reply With Quote