Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #801
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Ken,

Did you read this thread?

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44110

This really helped me get started and the MM Cobb and Carter Hall was a good start
Old 11-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #802
kgraybill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
kgraybill is on a distinguished road

I have been doing a good bit of reading on getting started, pipe and tobacco reviews but have not read that thread until now. Thanks.

I will keep on with the cheap cob for a while but plan to pick up a briar once I get the hang of smoking a pipe.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I think that I will really enjoy pipes just not the tobacco that I have sampled so far (Borkum Riff, Captain Black). Need to make a trip to the B&M to find something with flavor and save my tongue from getting burned up.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #803
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Trading: (3)
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

For an aromatic so far I've tried Lane 1Q and like it, it's supposed the most popular

I plan to order some Boswells this week which have come highly recommended
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #804
Templeton
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Army (Deployed)
Templeton is on a distinguished road

Hello guys,

This will be my first post, I have a few questions all at once. I have been smoking pipe+tobacco since 2003 and just never had any friends that shared my interest.

1. With a new pipe, what is the process in simple terms, of treating the wood to extend it's life? I have had a few pipes crack from I assume over heating.

2. Method of lighting tobacco, match, butane lighter, or zippo? Why? I have always preffered wooden matches, but zippo for ease of use.

3. What are some quality pipes that will not break the bank? I have spent anywhere from $20-$200 and been happy with my product. I do not know too much about what the wood was or who the maker of the pipe was.

I feel amazingly "noob-ish" for the last question, I have good pipes and know what I like. The last time I went out with one of my pipes, a gentleman asked me if my pipe was a ______ and I felt ignorant for truly knkowing nothing about it other than I like it.
Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #805
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
Hello guys,

This will be my first post, I have a few questions all at once. I have been smoking pipe+tobacco since 2003 and just never had any friends that shared my interest.

Welcome and ask away with your questions. I am a pipester since 1980, so I do have a tad bit of experience. Hopefully, some of my comments will help.

1. With a new pipe, what is the process in simple terms, of treating the wood to extend it's life? I have had a few pipes crack from I assume over heating.

I have never treated any of my pipes, they should be ready to go right out of the box. Never had a pipe crack either, and I used to smoke my pipes very hot (I used to smoke cigarettes and needed copious amounts of smoke and huffing heavily, makin a pipe hot, was the only thing that satisfied) Although, pipes need time after each smoke to rest and dry out before you smoke them again. This is why many pipe smokers have a rotation of pipes. I usually let mine air dry 3-5 days before smoking again. Care of the pipe while, and after smoking is import - use pipe cleaners - during the smoke and after.

2. Method of lighting tobacco, match, butane lighter, or zippo? Why? I have always preffered wooden matches, but zippo for ease of use.

A horse apiece. If you don't mind the flavor of a Zippo, go for it. If you use butane, stay away from torches - these can, due to the high temperatures of the flame, indeed burn your briar. Otherwise, it is your own preference. I personally use a soft butane flame or matches.

3. What are some quality pipes that will not break the bank? I have spent anywhere from $20-$200 and been happy with my product. I do not know too much about what the wood was or who the maker of the pipe was.

I personally own Castello (estate Castellos fit that price), Radice, Ascorti, Don Carlos, Tinsky, (my favorites) and then I also have some Savinelli and Stanwells. A couple corn cobs get into the rotation as well. There are many other quality manufacturers out there - these are simply what I have.

I feel amazingly "noob-ish" for the last question, I have good pipes and know what I like. The last time I went out with one of my pipes, a gentleman asked me if my pipe was a ______ and I felt ignorant for truly knkowing nothing about it other than I like it.
By the way, usually the maker of the pipe puts their name on it somewhere. Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #806
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to try to smoke a pipe occasionally and have two questions:

One is: I tried this before and was told to use a corn cob first as it is easier to break in as a started pipe, is that true?

Second is : I currently am a seasoned cigar smoker and when I started smoking cigars I was told to start off with milder cigars and work my way up gradually. But for me I hate mild or even medium smokes from the start, I feel it would be the same with a pipe, what is a nice strong, sweet flavorful blend to start with that is relaxing at night time? Anything helps, thanks! - Gabe
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #807
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Cobs will break in a little quicker than briars. But most important if you f them up you are not out a lot.

Strong tobaccos that are readily available, nightcap, royal yacht both by Dunhill.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #808
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe215 View Post
when I started smoking cigars I was told to start off with milder cigars and work my way up gradually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Strong tobaccos that are readily available, nightcap, royal yacht both by Dunhill.
Damnit, why did I go right into the strong tobaccos first? Nightcap was LITERALLY my first tin purchase, HAHAHA...
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #809
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'd like to try to smoke a pipe occasionally and have two questions:

One is: I tried this before and was told to use a corn cob first as it is easier to break in as a started pipe, is that true?
Cobs break in easily, and are cheap if you find that you do not like smoking a pipe.

Quote:
Second is : I currently am a seasoned cigar smoker and when I started smoking cigars I was told to start off with milder cigars and work my way up gradually. But for me I hate mild or even medium smokes from the start, I feel it would be the same with a pipe, what is a nice strong, sweet flavorful blend to start with that is relaxing at night time? Anything helps, thanks! - Gabe
Strong vs mild is different with pipe tobacco. What do you mean? Strong taste or nicotine strong?

I don't know which of these I'd call "strong," at least not compared to cigars. Each of these varies a bit. But do not expect the same volume of smoke from a pipe as you'd get from a cigar. If you get the same volume from a pipe as you get from a cigar, you will probably be frying your tongue - not a pleasant feeling.

These are a most of my favorite non-aromatic (tobaccos w/out some sort of flavoring added) tobaccos.

Escudo
Esoterica: Dorchester, Penzance, Durbar, Stonehaven
Gawith & Hoggarth: Lousisiana Flake, Bright CR Flake, Mixture #12, Bob's Chocolate Flake
McCelland: 5100, 2000, 2010, 2015, 2015, 2035, 5115, 5110, Christmas Cheer
Rattrays: Hal O The Wynd, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie
Samuel Gawith: Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake, 1792
Peter Heinrichs: Strong Dark Kentucky

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #810
Robulous78

Hey Fella's,

Had a quick question, there is this pipe in this movie I have never seen before, I really like the design and was interested if anyone knew anything about it or where I might find one...

The picture below is a crude screen capture from the video,

[IMG] pipe by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for lending me your knowledge...
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #811
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

That style is called a cavalier. That specific pipes looks like a Dunhill Cavalier http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm...dunbry4103cavb
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #812
Robulous78

so that is a cavalier style pipe? I like it cause it seems to be rather easy to let hang out of your mouth... thanks Derrick...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #813
Robulous78

Do most Cavalier style pipes run 500.00? would love to have one but not at that price...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #814
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

No. Dunhill's are the most expensive factory pipes you can buy. That also is not a traditional Cavalier. Most are made of wood, the one feature that all cavaliers have that make them unique is that the shaft extends below the draft hole of the pipe, and is capped. This acts like a moisture trap, and can easily be cleaned out by removing the cap.

For another shaped pipe that can easily hang when clenched look at Oom Paul, or Hungarian shapes. (they are the same thing)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #815
Robulous78

Will do... I am more or less looking for a cheap beginners pipe that is not too heavy that I can comfortably clench between my teeth and smoke hands free... this shape appealed to me cause the "hook" shape of the stem looks like it would hang from the mouth easily...
Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #816
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
This acts like a moisture trap, and can easily be cleaned out by removing the cap.
Any regular production inexpensive pipes that feature this? I always have a moisture problem, and no matter how little I clench, my style of smoking has me cleaning the pipe after every use to rid the moisture.. I see that the Cavalier style has a lot of really goofy looks.. I wouldn't mind a sub-$100 pipe that looks more traditional..

Last edited by iaMkcK; 01-28-2013 at 05:39 PM.
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #817
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
Any cheaper pipes that feature this? I always have a moisture problem, and no matter how little I clench, my style of smoking has me cleaning the pipe after every use to rid the moisture..
Jarrett, Peterson System pipes can be had for around 100$ They have a moisture trap as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #818
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

Bolivar Navy (Active)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150987177244

Speaking of, I have been eyeing this pipe (not actually going to buy it), is there a reason why it is listed so low? I would think an older model would go for a bit higher.

Last edited by 688sonarmen; 01-28-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #819
jjefrey
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (1)
jjefrey has disabled reputation

Just started with my first pipe, a Dr. Grabow.

I've read that I need to let the pipe rest a few days between smokes is this correct?

What would happen if I smoked it daily with out letting it rest?
jjefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #820
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

The purpose of letting the pipe rest is to allow the moisture absorbed by the wood to dry. If you are smoking one bowl a day, smoking every day isn't going to hurt anything. If you smoke more often, letting it rest is a good idea.

If the pipe is not allowed to dry, it will sour quicker than if it is allowed.

Eventually the pipe will start to sour or taste off, when that happens a Salt & Alcohol treatment is all that is needed to refresh it.