Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default LP Unico Papas Fritas

Liga Privada Unico Papas Fritas
4 1/2 x 44 Petit Corona

Given that I poo-pooed a short filler cigar being sold at the price of a hand-rolled premium stick, I figured that now having one (from a bomb, see the thread http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60640), I really should smoke it and review it. I must admit a bit of trepidation doing so, for I have had numerous short and/or mixed filler cigars in the past 32+ years of smoking cigars. As such, I was expecting some things to happen in the smoking of this cigar.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: A rather ugly wrapper hugs this petite corona, dark with lots of veins, but a bit oily too, that is promising. I like the pigtail cap and the band on the foot of the cigar – simple statement. I like that.

Score for aesthetics: 3.9

2) Pre-light Construction: I expected soft spots, spaces where the filler was uneven – couldn’t find them. I hefted it my hand expecting it to be a lightweight – disappointed again. I expected it to smell like a LP, robust and full of tobacco – and it did. The pigtail cap was broken off in the cellophane as I went to remove the stick, that was probably my doing. It was a bit drier than I expected, but it had just traveled from Alabama, and it had sat in my car in frigid temps for the last 4 hours.

Score for Pre-light construction: 4.6

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: WOW! No floaters (maybe because I didn’t have a whole in it big enough for floaters to… (OK, it was big enough, but floaters didn’t appear.) What is more, I have premium smokes that didn’t burn as evenly as this one did, I have had uber-premiums that didn’t burn this well. Finally, not wanting to have the ash drop on my lap, I had to coax it off at a good inch to inch and a half. I mention these three items, because these are the three things that I feared most about a short-filler cigar. It smoked cool and even all the way to the nub.

Score for post-light construction: 4.8

4a) Flavor and strength – 1st 1/3: There is a lot of smoke production for this little cigar. A touch of cedar, some pepper, burnt cocoa, and a hint of coffee and very full flavored, might even claim it was strong.

4b) Flavor and strength – 2nd 1/3: As it headed into the 2nd third, the flavors didn’t change much.

4c) Flavor and strength – Last 1/3: Nor did they change much here either.
Through it all, this was a stronger flavored cigar and mild to medium-bodied in the nic department. I did however find it rather one-dimensional. While it was a dimension that I enjoyed, the lack of complexity left me a bit disappointed. I did nub it as it was a “nice” smoke. That lack of complexity and change also left me a bit confused, “how can a short-filler cigar perform that way.” I expected it to be all over the map. Oh yeah, do not snork this bad boy, it will do a number on your nose.

Score for flavor and strength: 3.4

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This stick had a rather long finish, resting on the palate for a bit. It was rich cigar taste that was left, nothing fancy, nothing exciting, though it was a nice aftertaste.

Score for aftertaste: 3.4

6) Aroma: Fairly strong aroma, bit of burnt sweetness and pepper.

Score for aroma:3.6

7) General Comments: I don’t know that I can give an overall score for this cigar, for I only had the one. What I did find was that I must eat a bit of crow, this short-filled smoke performed like a serious premium cigar, kudos to Drew Estates for that. While the flavors were not entirely in my “WOW” section, they were very pleasant. I also haven’t had a LP that impressed me yet, they appear to want to be strong without a whole lot of nuance or complexity. I want a stick to keep me incredibly interested. Thankfully, this only lasted about 30 minutes, so I wasn’t burned out quickly on that lack of excitement. It was an enjoyable smoke.

Overall score for the cigar.

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? As much as I regret saying it, yeah, I’d recommend this cigar. I cannot say that it is a cigar I’d buy, because I like more complexity, and I also have this prejudice in my head about spending $6.00 for a short filler cigar – even knowing that it performs like a champ.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: LP Unico Papas Fritas

Thanks for the review Todd, I need to grab a tin to try
Old 02-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

sounds good.. i tried one the other day but i had a little to much bourbon that night and couldnt really enjoy it.

thanks for the review
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
frantisek
QUA PATET ORBIS

First Name: Frans
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Retired)
frantisek is on a distinguished road

A good review, I just received a tin and I'm looking forward to smoke one of those little buddy's

Frans
frantisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Zipponubke
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rene
Bolivar
Zipponubke is on a distinguished road

sounds good.
Zipponubke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

That's a good review; I had the same thoughts about mine. It's well-constructed, burns great, but the flavor is one-dimensional with very little complexity. The one dimension is tasty, though...but I won't be buying any more of these.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I've enjoyed every one I've smoked. It looks like you hit the nail on the head with your review. I suspect you'll eventually break down and buy a few as standbys. Especially, for a 30 minute smoke when you have no time for a larger stick, you can't beat it.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
milhouse
Still Watching My Back

milhouse is on a distinguished road

i like em... i don't expect too many transitions in a cigar that small. one dimensional is okay by me if I like the flavor and it's not a monster.
milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
bdgile is on a distinguished road

I'm with you. I have a hard time justifying spending that much on a short filler, but I think I will pick some up to try next time I see them.
bdgile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
the jiggler
ˇtaste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

How long did you sit on it? I've got two resting from a tin split I did with a botl and am looking forward to bring one. Thanks for the detailed review.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jiggler View Post
How long did you sit on it? I've got two resting from a tin split I did with a botl and am looking forward to bring one. Thanks for the detailed review.
About 6 hours.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jiggler View Post
About 6 hours.

I did get a couple more in the massive pummeling that I received. So, I might do an update later.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
jechelman
Smokin' Longhorn

First Name: Frank
Trading: (5)
jechelman is on a distinguished road

Picked a 4 pack tin a couple of weeks ago. Getting time to burn one. Looking forward to it after all the positive comments.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
jechelman
Smokin' Longhorn

First Name: Frank
jechelman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jechelman View Post
Picked a 4 pack tin a couple of weeks ago. Getting time to burn one. Looking forward to it after all the positive comments.
I fired one up this evening. Perfect burn, tons of smoke but the flavor didn't do it for me. Not bad at all but not my thing. For a small, quick smoke I would much rather have a La Riqueza #5, Esencia PC, Short Story or Don Carlos #4.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Wow Rev, this was really nice reading. I like your scoring system.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
Wow Rev, this was really nice reading. I like your scoring system.
Not my system, that was the system used by SMOKE magazine when I was a reviewer for them back in 1999.

Glad you liked the review. Every once in a while I can put a phrase together and make it read decent.

Thanks for your kind words.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Not my system, that was the system used by SMOKE magazine when I was a reviewer for them back in 1999.

Glad you liked the review. Every once in a while I can put a phrase together and make it read decent.

Thanks for your kind words.
Ever thought of writing a book? You know I'm in the book publishing biz.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Ever thought of writing a book? You know I'm in the book publishing biz.
Do not have much for a book. Sorry!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Well start smoking more, Rev
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Pretty much sums up the one I had today. It was my first and I was pretty impressed(not by the price though, I paid $31 for a tin)