Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default The art of a good smoke - and wetshaving

I put most of this post over on Badger & Blade. Some of this post is specific to that board (highlighted below), but the rest applies to this board - and hopefully encourages others to come to appreciate my newfound passion for wetshaving.

Well, I remember grandpa and dad doing the shave prep with a brush, soap, and a DE razor. Although I'm closer to 50 than 40, I don't remember doing the wetshave thing.

I remember my first pipe and my first cigar - both almost 30 years ago. I have grown to enjoy the ritual that goes into both as I prepare for a relaxing smoke - and those things which make both the pipe and the cigar a great experience - that and of course, the smoking of them. Relaxing and enjoying them comes as part of the whole ritual.

I used to be a cigarette smoker, and there is a similarity to smoking a cigarette that is much like shaving with a multiblade cartridge and shave cream from a can. It gets the job done, but there is no "personality" in either.

Now that I am a newbie to wetshaving, there is a certain similarity in the preparation and ultimate shave. It is the total experience that makes it enjoyable, as the ritual gives personality to shaving.

I have a teenage son who was starting to shave before I had begun to experience wetshaving. I bought him a Mach3, a can of shave goop, showed him what to do. It was a chore I prepared him for, but without fanfare and without much love for it. "You make your face presentable by doing this. Get it done quickly and get on with your day. Wow! What a terrible father I was. But it was because I had never been given a love for care of my own face.

In retrospect, when he was born I chose a put a couple premium, hand-rolled cigars (2 Cubans and 2 Domestics) aside in a humidor to age until he is old enough for me to sit down and enjoy one with me - one each for him and for me. He's seen the ritual of cutting, lighting, and finally smoking a fine cigar. When he is ready, I had plans to teach him how to do so himself - carefully snip or punch the cigar, toast the foot, light it, sit back and savor the flavor.

He's watched me prepare a pipe for smoking and enjoys the aroma that fills the air. I have a pipe selected that I will give him to try when he's the right age. I will sit with him and walk him through the steps of the art of enjoying a fine pipe.

Now, we are learning together the art of caring for our faces by the art of wetshaving. I am glad we are learning together. But, I am saddened that my father and I never shared that experience. We're learning how to work up a good lather, rejoicing when we get the right consistency and can massage it into our face. He's still going with the Mach3 (the DE blades scare him) but he's promised to try that once he learns the first step - prepping his face so that he gets a close shave without the pain. He's learning the ritual and the joy of a shave.

I think of the years that I lost just scraping the whiskers off my face. I look forward to learning more about the art of the shave.

It is my hope that I can bring the enjoyment of the art of fine tobacco to those who are teaching me to enjoy the art of the shave.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation
Smile Re: The art of a good smoke - and wetshaving

Nice post Rev Todd.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
coty

Default Re: The art of a good smoke - and wetshaving

Wow I have never thought of shaving as enjoyable but to here it put like this it makes me give second thought.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty View Post
Wow I have never thought of shaving as enjoyable but to here it put like this it makes me give second thought.
Uh Oh---
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Dr Voss

Great post Rev. I have been thinking of trying wet shaving, I have a very rough course beard and was told it would be a lot easier on my face. After reading your post I beginning to think that being easier on my skin may just be a nice side benefit. It seems a real tragedy that we have turned something we have to do nearly everyday into something we dread. I hate it so much that I grew a full beard for almost 20 years. I think it may be time to turn over a new leaf.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
Great post Rev. I have been thinking of trying wet shaving, I have a very rough course beard and was told it would be a lot easier on my face. After reading your post I beginning to think that being easier on my skin may just be a nice side benefit. It seems a real tragedy that we have turned something we have to do nearly everyday into something we dread. I hate it so much that I grew a full beard for almost 20 years. I think it may be time to turn over a new leaf.
---and another
Old 01-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Great post Todd!

My dad just handed me an electric razor with almost no explanation. After learning to wetshave I know it will be something I pass down to my son. He's 5 now and the fascination he has with my ritual is awesome. I hope I pass down to him my new love for shaving and not this steel curtain of a beard too but we'll see.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Great post Rev, I'm glad you and your boy are enjoying wet shaving as much as I do.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by coty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick View Post
Uh Oh---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savor the Stick View Post
---and another
Oh settle down, Kevin.

I shaved off my winter beard this year. This is the first winter that I shaved it off this early. I normally say that I keep one in the winter because it keeps my face warmer when I am ice fishing and stuff. Honestly, it is a great excuse to be lazy and not have to shave.

Now, outside shoveling yesterday, I realized that it is much warmer with the beard. I still haven't shave yet today, for I need to go out and shovel again. But, it isn't because I'm going to grow the beard back. It is because I am waiting to take my shower till after I get all sweaty.

Check out wetshaving guys - there is some good information in the wetshaving thread, even some videos on "how to" are linked there. Good stuff.

Here are a couple links I found useful reads:
http://www.wetshaving.net/why-wetshave/
http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/688684...perfect-shave/

Read up about the stuff. Pop in at the wetshaving thread http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25334 and learn some more and ask some questions.

By the way, a double age razor is some way cool equipment to have in your hand. My 14 & 17 year old boys looked at my new razor and said, "That's cool looking." (just an added perk)

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I thought this was going to be about multitasking!

I was afraid of the pictures I would find of Rev with a cigar in his mouth and a razor under his chin!

Sweet thread Rev!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

nice thread rev!

I really should learn to wetshave one of these days.... I never get even close to smooth with an electric, and my gristle eats regular razors for breakfast
Old 01-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
nice thread rev!

I really should learn to wetshave one of these days.... I never get even close to smooth with an electric, and my gristle eats regular razors for breakfast
I cannot do an electric razor, my face is raw and red by the time I am done.

I used a Mach3 in the shower with a bar of soap, and was getting what I considered to be wonderful shaves (at least to what I was getting before). That was the last ??? years.

Since wetshaving, I won't go back.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Wow, now I want to get into wetshaving. I hope that some day I have a son that I can share these things with.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Wow, now I want to get into wetshaving. I hope that some day I have a son that I can share these things with.
Probably a good idea to let your wife teach the newly expected daughter how to shave.

However, you can probably get a nice brush and some good shave soaps for your wife. Maybe even a feminine Double Edge razor. I'd wait a till a fews months after your daughter is born to give them to her though. You'll have to show her how to use the brush. Who knows, it might lead to fulfilling your wish stated above.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
Fordman4ever

Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

sounds like a plan to me. I'm gonna have to start getting into it first and learn the ropes. maybe then i'll get to the part of having a son.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Hey Earl, I can diffidently help you out with that. I have stuff to PIF. But I am on a low fixed income and my supplies are a little low(soap, cream, blades, brushes), at the moment.

I will be able to get you a wetshaving PIF early next month. But look at Target(Online) for a "Shea Ultimate Shave Brush" They are a good beginner brush.

PM me if interested.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Fordman4ever

PM sent. Awesome Brother, looking forward to it. Thanks again for the tips on the brushes.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:01 AM   #18
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Excellent and well thought out post Todd.

I've tried the 3 blades, 5 blades and electric. Honestly I don't like it at all. If it was me I'd at least stay with a goatee but my job won't allow it. I have to shave every day that I work and I hate the irritation. I do slap on some after shave balm but it doesn't seem to help much. Oh well...I seem to get about 1-2 weeks out of a decent 5 blade disposible.

Any suggestions to help the irritation?
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #19
fissure
DHC Black Ops

First Name: Steve
Trading: (48)
Partagas
fissure has disabled reputation

Great post Todd! Not to get off topic, but to answer my brothers question.....

You should at least try a brush and cream/soap to shave with. Just using that instead of the crap in a can cut down on the irritation shaving my head. The face prep is where it is at. For aftershave try Nivea sensative skin balm, it has no alcohol in it. If I can get ahold of Kris before she leaves I'll put a brush and a tube of poraso in with the stuff headed your way. Then look up mantics videos to see how to properly face prep and get a good lather. All you'll need is a mug/bowl.
fissure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

Quote:
Originally Posted by fissure View Post
Great post Todd! Not to get off topic, but to answer my brothers question.....

You should at least try a brush and cream/soap to shave with. Just using that instead of the crap in a can cut down on the irritation shaving my head. The face prep is where it is at. For aftershave try Nivea sensative skin balm, it has no alcohol in it. If I can get ahold of Kris before she leaves I'll put a brush and a tube of poraso in with the stuff headed your way. Then look up mantics videos to see how to properly face prep and get a good lather. All you'll need is a mug/bowl.
Kudos very generous offer!