Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
mrreindeer

Default let it die vs. HELL NO, YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT WAS?

I touched upon this in another thread of mine when I likened myself to George Costanza searching through trash for an eclair but I thought I'd open it up on a new thread.....

And I know there were other posts kinda like this, none of which I could actually find, so let's play again (and the 2nd part, I believe, offers a new twist).

For those good at numbers , this thread has two parts:

1) Do you feel guilty, even the slightest bit, when you let your cigar die & don't finish it right up like a good boy or girl clearing your plate during dinner (even the peas)? Here you've spent your hard-earned money on this sucker and even if it's not great, damn it, I'm smoking it all!

- to answer my question, why yes, David, I do feel like I should smoke the whole thing so it's very difficult to put the damn thing down. Why, I've often smoked a cigar I've wondered about putting down but just couldn't do it. Why the hell is that?

2) What lengths have you gone to in order to get that cigar....me, the other day, well, I wanted to scare myself silly on Halloween, so I actually smoked a cigar that some British dude put up his nose. Deep. I was desperate, just desperate I tell you. I figure I bought the sucker with my own money, it's a perfectly good Boogergar and I may as well smoke it. I just couldn't throw it in the trash. Hell, even if I had, I'd probably be there like George, fishing it out.

How far have you gone to get that cigar? (and I ain't talking about shoving your cigars up your nose....or maybe I am...)

Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
MithShrike

Default Re: let it die vs. HELL NO, YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT W

I have no problem putting down a cigar. Not guilty in the slightest...

Booger eater. Nyah nyah nyah.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

It pitch it when it is no longer enjoyable. Even if I feel like I got ripped off on the price of the stick, if I am able to enjoy it for a bit, it's worth it. I'd be more pissed spending a lot on a stick, smoking it past the "enjoy" point only to wind up with an unenjoyable experience on top of a "paid way too much for this" one. When you don't like it any more, get rid of it.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
dcamacho

if the cigar sucks and its not for me, i have no problem putting it out. i rather put it out then be sick to my stomach.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
SimonTemplar

pitch it. it will only make you more upset to taste that crap even longer an think about the costs, etc. there are always more cigars. hopefully the next one is sublime.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Ace$nyper

If it's not a good stick it's not.

I ditch it, I feel bad but then I know not to get that anymore so I paid to learn. Still bums me out since my cigar budget is low.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
spincycle

1) I am cheap.. so cheap.. I'll smoke myself sick.. I do price per vote calculations to help me decide what to buy. like heck, I'm going to let that sucker burn out!!

2) Never gone far. The internet makes it too easy to buy cigars. I have the opposite problem.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

I ditched an anejo the other night without even thinking about the $,it had no flavor and I wasn't going to waste time smoking air.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
webjunkie
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (1)
Punch
webjunkie is on a distinguished road

If it tastes good then I'll nub that sucka no matter the price. I'll worry about putting down an expensive cigar, but then usually my next few are cheaper.

In the end it comes down to: it's my cigar and I'll smoke it how I want to.

Unless it was a gift and the gifter is standing right there. Then I probably be polite and at least get to the band.
webjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincycle View Post
1) I am cheap.. so cheap.. I'll smoke myself sick.. I do price per vote calculations to help me decide what to buy. like heck, I'm going to let that sucker burn out!!
I freakin' love it!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
How far have you gone to get that cigar? (and I ain't talking about shoving your cigars up your nose....or maybe I am...)
I kinda meant like what lengths have you taken to get that cigar...have you dug through trash...have you begged for a bomb & then gotten obliterated, have you run through the neighborhood in no more than a sock, have you even smoked a cigar that's gone up a dude's nose....DEEP.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Toss it and move on to something else. Time to grab one of the go tos at that point.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:27 PM   #13
romwarrior
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (19)
Cohiba
romwarrior is on a distinguished road

It is a cliche of course, but one I've slowly come to live by:

Life's too short for bad cigars.

I don't get to smoke but a few times a week so I am not letting a bad cigar ruin my precious stogie time. I used to feel guilty but now I just feel happy to have a good cigar.
romwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
SonsofClubDeck

I smoke for enjoyment and happiness, and we all know that "happiness is a wonderful thing," so when the stick goes south, I toss it out. I don't have a problem with the pitch if it gets to a point where I'm no longer enjoying myself. However, if I don't really like something I'm smoking I'll take it down to the last 3rd to at least give it a good chance.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #15
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation

I pitch it if I'm not enjoying it. I don't get to smoke cigars that often, so every time I get the opportunity to smoke, I don't want it wasted on a cigar that I'm not enjoying. It's a bummer, but sometimes you have to lay down those expensive smokes.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

I have no problem chucking a stick if it doesn't taste good. I don't care what it cost, the whole reason I smoke cigars is to relax and enjoy my free time. If a crappy cigar is ruining my free time, it is gone.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by groogs View Post
I have no problem chucking a stick if it doesn't taste good. I don't care what it cost, the whole reason I smoke cigars is to relax and enjoy my free time. If a crappy cigar is ruining my free time, it is gone.
You nailed it, my friend.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Toss it if it sucks.

As far as #2 goes, I've driven from B&M to B&M trying to find special holiday release cigars before, but I haven't done that as much lately. Oh yeah, cuz I don't have any more room in my humis.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #19
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

If the cigar sucks, toss it. I won't try to struggle through a cigar that tastes like crap. Draw problems can be a turnoff, but if I am still getting smoke and it tastes good, I will try to tough it out until I get a headache.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #20
dadof3illinois

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas
dadof3illinois is on a distinguished road

I agree with groogs. I pitch it no matter what. My time is worth way more than any of my cigars and if I"m not enjoying it then out it goes.
dadof3illinois is offline   Reply With Quote