Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default HdM Reposado en Cedros

Wrapper: Ecuadoran Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan, Dominican (Piloto Cubano)

The Reposado en Cedros cigars were unveiled at the 2010 IPCPR show. To date, I have not seen these at my B&Ms, but I was gifted a pair by my Secret Santa. This is a limited edition cigar for Hoyo de Monterrey that General Cigar Company says uses a new method of aging called “immersion,” where each rolled cigar is carefully aged directly in cedar shavings for 3 to 6 months. They are then wrapped in a cedar sleeve and packed in boxes surrounded by more cedar shavings.

I’ll start by saying that I’m already a fan of the HdM line (except for the Legends series,) so I was pre-disposed to liking this. My expectations were heightened by the fact that it had a Sumatra wrapper.

I smoked the marco vitola (6¼x54), a figurado. These are very “pretty” cigars—the cedar sleeve and new band art made for a nice presentation; the cocoa colored wrapper was smooth and thinly veined. The cap clipped neatly, and the prelight draw was distinctly cedar, like the inside of a humidor.
Construction was top notch. The draw was effortless, it put out a good deal of pleasant, aromatic smoke, and it held a great burn line throughout the 90 minutes that I smoked. Never needed a touch-up or relight.

There’s no need to break the flavor profile into sections, because the cigar was consistent from start to finish. A woody cedar dominated, as you might expect, but it was complemented by a sweet creaminess, baked bread, and carried a little spicy cinnamon on the long finish. The last inch turned peppery and minty, with a mouth coating heat that I get from some Pepin or AJ Fernandez sticks. Like I just bit into a York Peppermint Patty.

I usually appreciate flavor changes in my cigars, and although the Reposado didn’t change, I really enjoyed it. Medium body, mild/medium strength.

This is a very good cigar, and at the $6-7 price point is definitely worth giving a try.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote