Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #41
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scotch's that wont break the bank

I second (or third or fourth?) the Glenmorangie Orignial. It is my favorite everyday.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #42
wdwkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Balvenie Doublewood.
Thats a good non peated one! Im into Islay and Campbeltown scotch..But I do like the double wood
Old 02-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #43
wdwkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
IMHO, single malts are very, very, much overrated!

Blends are much less expensive for the most part and much more complex in flavor!

Hell, JW Black, a very reasonably priced blend is far more complex and most single malt. It is what many, many, hard core scotch drinkers favor.
Oh, got to disagree. there is a reason blends are cheap....
But, Campbeltown loch is a blend of only Springbank made Scotch Whisky....so its a blend...but not really. Its like 33.00.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #44
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwkelly View Post
But, Campbeltown loch is a blend of only Springbank made Scotch Whisky....so its a blend...but not really. Its like 33.00.
Just what might that reason be my friend?

Blends are made from different vintages and sometimes styles, of scotch (in this case), made by the same distillery.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #45
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
I used to be a very large (read: thousands of special bottlings and more of singles) collector of scotches. I am curious as to why a blend of Springbank isn't a blend?

For that matter, any non-single barrel is a blend. They key is to know what you are talking about.

Do you?

Cheap blends are cheap for a reason and expensive blends might be expensive for a reason. capiche?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #46
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Just what might that reason be my friend?

Blends are made from different vintages and sometimes styles, of scotch (in this case), made by the same distillery.
Yep. JW Platinum is a blend, it ain't cheap, and it's very, very good. I'd take a bottle of it over any two bottles of Macallan without a second thought.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #47
wdwkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I used to be a very large (read: thousands of special bottlings and more of singles) collector of scotches. I am curious as to why a blend of Springbank isn't a blend?

For that matter, any non-single barrel is a blend. They key is to know what you are talking about.

Do you?

Cheap blends are cheap for a reason and expensive blends might be expensive for a reason. capiche?
Of course i know what I'm talking about. Single malts are just from the same distillery....different barrels.....(unless single barrel)The blend i was referring to " Campbeltown Loch is a blend of all scotch made at the same distillery. Its the only one like it. SOME don't consider that a blend....even though it is. Sort of.
But a single malt means just that..it is NOT a blend. By strict Scotland definition. A blend is from different distillers...and 99% of the time...YOUNG scotch. Hence...reason why they are cheap.
You saying all non single malts are blends unless single barrel....is 110% wrong. Its Scot. law how they are defined.
Campbeltown Lock is a "blend" that MANY will drink...that refuse to drink blends..due to its uniqueness of being 100% springbank and longrow scotch. All made under 1 roof.

Last edited by wdwkelly; 02-18-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:36 PM   #48
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Campbeltown Lock is a "blend" that MANY will drink...that refuse to drink blends..due to its uniqueness of being 100% springbank and longrow scotch. All made under 1 roof.
But it is still a blend. By law.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #49
wdwkelly

Quote:
But it is still a blend. By law.
YES, you are right. And its the only one many will drink that don't drink blends due to its uniqueness. As no other blends come from the same roof.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #50
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
YES, you are right. And its the only one many will drink that don't drink blends due to its uniqueness. As no other blends come from the same roof.
really? And you based this provocative statement on what evidence?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 PM   #51
wdwkelly

Quote:
really? And you based this provocative statement on what evidence?
Evidence..... There is a great youtube site.."ralfy" he is from scotland..Hell have all the answers you'll ever need to hear. As for Me? I was stationed at Lakenheath AFB from 1992-1995 Even though it was England, I learned a lot about Scotch. The only folks that drank blends then, over there.. were folks that just didn't have a lot of$$ Single malts were popular..but NOT near as popular as today, Especially peated scotch from Isaly and Campbeltown.
I have gone back to the U.K. every few years ever since..and really...the only dynamic that has changed is the immense popularity of Islay scotch....and for good reason.. Look at it this way.....those cigars you can get at a filling station....we all know they aren't premium sticks....blends are kinda like those station cigars. But, it you ever want to venture to Islay or Speyside....Campbeltown...i've been there on the dime of the U.S. Air Force...and single malts are the only game in town.
Enjoy what you want... but seriously..listen to ralfy..he is quite the character....but so in the loop.
Someone mentioned expensive Johnny Walker....well...some gurkhas are expensive....but they are still rubbish.

Goodness....Time to move on.. Drink those blends....someone has to.

Last edited by wdwkelly; 02-18-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #52
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Ah, ego as substitute for substance.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #53
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Evidence..... There is a great youtube site.."ralfy" he is from scotland..Hell have all the answers you'll ever need to hear. As for Me? I was stationed at Lakenheath AFB from 1992-1995 Even though it was England, I learned a lot about Scotch. The only folks that drank blends then, over there.. were folks that just didn't have a lot of$$ Single malts were popular..but NOT near as popular as today, Especially peated scotch from Isaly and Campbeltown.
I have gone back to the U.K. every few years ever since..and really...the only dynamic that has changed is the immense popularity of Islay scotch....and for good reason.. Look at it this way.....those cigars you can get at a filling station....we all know they aren't premium sticks....blends are kinda like those station cigars. But, it you ever want to venture to Islay or Speyside....Campbeltown...i've been there on the dime of the U.S. Air Force...and single malts are the only game in town.
Enjoy what you want... but seriously..listen to ralfy..he is quite the character....but so in the loop.
Someone mentioned expensive Johnny Walker....well...some gurkhas are expensive....but they are still rubbish.

Goodness....Time to move on.. Drink those blends....someone has to.
Some of us can appreciate a good single malt AND appreciate a good quality blend. It's not an either/or situation, at least to the non-snobs.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #54
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Some of us can appreciate a good single malt AND appreciate a good quality blend. It's not an either/or situation, at least to the non-snobs.
drink/smoke what you like and don't look down on others who are not "at your level of sophistication".

That's a paraphrase from Michael Jackson (the English one) from one of his private dinners.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #55
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Monkey Shoulder
Had a couple bottles of this lately, it's damn good! I guess it's Balvinnie Glenfiddich and Kinitchy. Two of my favorites and one I'm not familiar with. Anyhoo it's really good. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #56
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Excuse me while I genuflect.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #57
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I enjoy a number of single malts -- Glenmorangie 21 year old single cask is about the best I have had. I also like Johnny Walker Blue... I don't fit your standards, but I am OK with that.

Smoke or drink what you like... Drink or like what you smoke and to include what Mark said -- don't look down on others for what they like...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #58
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I must say wddwkelly, for a new member, you have an obnoxious attitude, not generally seen here with even older, crabby, members. But, I guess that's you and I expect that some of us will learn to get along with it.

That being said, The following link will explain what Single Malts are and what blends are, for those who wish to read.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/0...ed-whisky.html

BTW, I have experienced many, many single malt scotches, in my 73 years, but I love J.W. Black and Chivas 18, better than most single malts! Of course, that's just me!