Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road
Default Padilla Habano Torpedo

Padilla Habano Torpedo (6x52)
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $7.50

Also see this review with pics @ http://aaronfoodandwino.blogspot.com

Ernesto Padilla has really come into his own since parting ways with Don Pepin Garcia. He now uses the Tabacalera Fernandez factory to produce his smokes in Esteli, Nicaragua. It seems nothing has changed since the parting though construction wise, each cigar is impeccably flawless. Padilla has a real eye for quality control.

The Padilla Habano torpedo is a medium brown cigar with a flawless wrapper that has no signs of large veins. The wrapper is smooth as silk and oily to the touch. Smells of earth and leather. Upon cutting the cigar, the draw was tight. I smoked two of these and only one of these seemed to have this tightness, and the other had a semi-tight draw.

Once lit, the cigar had rich leather and cedar flavors, and the aroma was very earthy. In this particular case I loved the cedar flavor, because it was a little sweet (I usually don’t like cedar). A very nice tight grey ash developed and clinged on the cigar for up to 2 inches before falling off. The Padilla had a lot of earthy flavors that I find in Cuban cigars, and this seems to mock a Cuban more closely than any other cigar I have had in awhile. 2 inches in and coffee flavors start to come out. At the 2nd third mark, leather and earth are followed by this diminishing coffee flavor that started to taste reminiscent of milk chocolate. At the last 3rd, the tightness has gotten to the point where the cigar almost wants to go out. The burn has been even throughout with no touch ups needed. Medium bodied throughout. Nubbed it without any difficulties.

I really liked this cigar and I even ended up smoking several over my birthday weekend. The cigars flavors are just so enjoyable that the draw problems were easily over looked. I believe Ernesto Padilla may be the most talented cigar blender these days, because his entire line up of cigars are phenomenal.

Score: 92
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
jdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
jdawg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Padilla Habano Torpedo

Nice review! Padilla make some good sticks.
jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Nice review. I hasn't realized the price on these had gone up. Been awhile since I smoked one I guess.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
kickerb

Thanks for the review, I have yet to smoke a torpedo. Can you give me some tips on how you like to cut the cap? I have heard people say 1/4 inch, or even 1/2 inch. Does it just come down to personal preference?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

a half inch would be too much, you want to cut just enough to get a proper draw, remember you can always cut a little bit more if it is too tight, you also dont want to cut past the cap b/c the wrapper will have a propensity to unravel
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
kickerb

ok James, thanks for the tip. maybe this weekend i can find some time to smoke one