Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #1421
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Credos have no visual indicator Mike. You have to wait for the humidity to drop in your humidor to know that they need watering. Furthermore, they are just plain horrible humidifiers. One way only, no capability for absorbing excess moisture, no indicator of when they need watering, great potential for mold. They were great at one time, but mind you, so was a clay brick soaked in water, in fact, there really isn't much difference other than the brick being around for a century or two. We have the technology for better, so why not use it? Ditch the Credos and get beads (or gel, although gel doesn't absorb excess moisture/humidity very quickly).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #1422
Tallman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Murray
Trading: (6)
Tallman is on a distinguished road

[quote=bobarian;1389281]Interesting. Splits can occur randomly although they can be an indication of high humidity. Sometimes with active humidification like yours the sticks closer to the source will be slightly higher rh. But as to the cause of the unwrapping at the cap I am stumped. If its just a stick or two maybe it was just a random occurrence, more than that I would look deeper for cause.

Thank you. I'm beginning to think "random", as I pulled another hundred or so sticks out ( a bunch of different stuff I've bought as singles or fivers, and keep in boxes I got at the B & M) and found no other sticks showing splits. Good exercise for me, though, taking them out and rolling them to "feel" how humid they are. I think I need to drop the rh down to 65 or so...
M
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #1423
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

My RH stays around 63-65%. I haven't calibrated my hygrometer in quite some times though. Reckon I need to do that soon...
Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #1424
Tallman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Murray
Trading: (6)
Tallman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallman View Post
Thank you. The cap was intact, I've tried to attach a photo and couldn't figure out how to resize it...I'll work on that tomorrow. The Ashton is now a happy memory. The humidor has a water tray, wick and fan, and I have a couple Bovedas scattered throughout. The hygrometer was recalibrated using the moist salt method about two weeks ago.

Murray
Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
One other thing that can cause wrappers to split is a big difference in humidity between what the cigars are stored at in your humidor and the ambient humidity where you are smoking.

I'm not sure that this is your problem, but it is something to be aware of.
Thank you ...RH here in NW Arkansas today is a smooooth 84%. I wouldn't think that would be the issue, but as you said, something to be aware of.
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #1425
Cawndor

I cannot seem to get my 2 desktop humidors to drop below 73%RH. I've taken out the humidifiers and its seems 73% is the lowest I can get it to drop. I Live in the Northeast and it's very humid this time of year. I just purchased Heartfelt beads humidity tube 65% and I'm hoping that will solve my problems. Have I missed anything?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #1426
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawndor View Post
I cannot seem to get my 2 desktop humidors to drop below 73%RH. I've taken out the humidifiers and its seems 73% is the lowest I can get it to drop. I Live in the Northeast and it's very humid this time of year. I just purchased Heartfelt beads humidity tube 65% and I'm hoping that will solve my problems. Have I missed anything?

Thanks
Have you aired out the humi? Take whatever sticks you have out and out them in a Tupperware or zip lock bag and leave the humi open for a few hours. Then close and check the hygro after a few hours. Repeat as needed.

Also make surethe hygro is calibrated and has fresh batteries.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #1427
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawndor View Post

Thanks
How long have you given the beads to level out the humidity?

How's the seal on these humidors?
Old 08-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #1428
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
How long have you given the beads to level out the humidity?

How's the seal on these humidors?
I don't think they came in yet bill also if the seal was poor it would prob have a hard time holding humidity. If it's not dropping below 73 then my guess is either it's over saturated or the hygro needs to be recalibrated (and have the batts checked).

Sounds like the seal is good. How are the sticks smoking?

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #1429
Cawndor

Bill, I have not received the beads yet.

The seals seem to be fine. I bought both humidors new over the past month and have analog and digital hygros for both (salt tested and got 75%RH) I will try airing the humi's out to see if that fixes my issue. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #1430
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

How many cigars you got in the humidor? Maybe the cigars are too humid and need to be dry-boxed a bit. That may bring the humidity down. Do you have a hygro out of the humidor so you see what the surrounding humidity in the room is?
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #1431
Cawndor

I have a small 50ct and a slightly larger 75ct. Both are only 1/2 full now, but were 80% full the 1st week I bought them. I bought a bunch of samplers from a website, one that MANY members here suggest against buying from. Many of the cigars came with cracked wrappers and were dried out. The Temp/RH in my house is around 74F/70%

I seasoned the humidors with a light wipe down of interior with distilled water and left a small bowl inside over night. The smaller one seemed to be ok but over time the RH would increase. The larger one was at 80%RH and after removing the humidifier I've gotten it down to around 73%.

I'm going to try Drez suggestion today. The sticks are hit or miss. Some are tunneling others smoke great.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #1432
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Bob & Adam, thanks again for your know how's....Bob that heartfelt site didn't come up, but I haven't googled it yet either.......looks like I need to get some beads.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #1433
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

http://heartfeltindustries.com/produ...Humidity+Beads

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #1434
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Perfect Tom thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #1435
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

So I'd like to get on the NST list pretty soon. But I'm wondering what are best ways to ship sticks. I see the cool 'slotted' ziploc style bags, but I'm having trouble locating them for sale.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #1436
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
So I'd like to get on the NST list pretty soon. But I'm wondering what are best ways to ship sticks. I see the cool 'slotted' ziploc style bags, but I'm having trouble locating them for sale.
There are group buys here usually. With more participation you'll see that forum shortly.

No post count or time duration, just participation.

There probably won't be another for a good bit, a few months I would imagine.

Vacuum sealing a zip-block bag (probably a storage or freezer bag as they are a big thicker) with them close together works. I've seen many people do this.

Use bubble wrap and what not.

The usual method of shipping is the small flat rate boxes at the USPS. Delivery confirmation #'s are also required from the NST, I believe, but almost everyone always gets them whenever they ship cigars. It's good practice and covers you on both ends.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #1437
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
There is a sticky in the new inmate area I believe about shipping. Can't link from phone, but a quick search should pull it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #1438
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
There is a sticky in the new inmate area I believe about shipping. Can't link from phone, but a quick search should pull it up.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got ya

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3267
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #1439
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Thanks buddy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #1440
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Thanks guys, I had briefly read over that initially and forget where it was. I believe that answers most of questions.