Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #201
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Let's see those '09 gardens

Hit the garden last night for a picking. Managed to pick 70ish Jalepenos, 1 habanero, 8 Italian burners, 6 cherry bombs, a sh-load of tomatoes, and a handful of cukes and zuccini.

Hit the store yesterday and picked up a 12 pack of quart sized jars. Managed to fill 8 of them with just hot peppers.

Everything is starting to peter out except the gourds and squash plants.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #202
tzaddi

Some late arrivals.

The tobacco plants continue to seed themselves into other containers. I recently plucked another out and placed it into it's own container.

Here are two more that may or may not make a complete cycle this year but they certainly demonstrate the plants tenacity to carry on.

This years harvest while very limited continues to teach me about drying and curing.

For those that are interested in my adventures in making compost tea here is a photo of the new brewer I completed last week along with a link to a gallery of photos showing off it's new air injector design and functionality.

http://gallery.me.com/tzaddi#100687

It is great feeling to see everyones harvest, good job.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #203
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

You have the coolest setup and I get the feeling that you are like a mad scientist when it comes to making that "tea"!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #204
BC-Axeman

I have an earthworm composter that is going full speed now. Many thousands of earthworms eating kitchen waste and paper turning it into rich castings. At the bottom of the composter is a drain for the liquor that is like tea but probably not as rich as the aerated stuff Richard makes.

The gopher ate almost all of my potatoes. I still have peppers, tomatoes, green beans, eggplant, all that squash and carrots producing. Onions aren't done 'till the end. The corn is finished and the cukes are not doing much any more. The birds eat the grapes as fast as they ripen.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM   #205
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I have an earthworm composter that is going full speed now. Many thousands of earthworms eating kitchen waste and paper turning it into rich castings. At the bottom of the composter is a drain for the liquor that is like tea but probably not as rich as the aerated stuff Richard makes.
I use vermi-compost in my AACT brewers, about 4 cups per 5 gallons. The leachate you get from the drain on your vermiculture bin(s) is very similar. The brewer simply takes the good microbes from the vermi-compost and creates a "party scene" with plenty of food (molasses, kelp. etc.), water & oxygen. This multiplies their numbers into the billions before they are distributed on the plants & soil. A brew usually takes 24-36 hours.

Man those worms must love this time of year when they get to chow down on garden harvest waste from pulled plants, etc.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #206
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Hit the store yesterday and picked up a 12 pack of quart sized jars. Managed to fill 8 of them with just hot peppers.
Hal, Walmart had a good supply of all sizes. Around $6 for a dozen.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #207
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Richard, very cool set up you have there.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #208
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Hal, Walmart had a good supply of all sizes. Around $6 for a dozen.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #209
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Our potting adventures didn't turn out well, except for the cherry tomatoes. Billions of the little buggers. The cucumber produced a mediocre amount of cucs, about 7, and then got powdery mildew. The squash also got it and died before anything produced.

The only successes we had were the string beans, basil, mint, and cherry peppers. The CP plant is on its way out though, I didn't realize it didn't have any drain holes and it filled up with water from a storm. Various flowers did well, namely the Celosia jumping up to over 3 feet tall. I was hoping for more color variety though, only the red seemed to make it. The hummingbirds love it though.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #210
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Still getting lots of peppers out of the garden. Picked up another flat of quart sized jars to fill. This is what I canned yesterday-

I also did two dozen jalepenos on the smoker yesterday. The method of stuffing them with cream cheese and wrapping them in bacon is #1 so far.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #211
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I might have told you about this already, Richard, but my neighbor used to keep a 55 gallon drum of moo juice between our gardens when I was a kid.
You just fill the drum with cow poop, add water, and enjoy.
It takes the mad scientist aspect out of it, but still cool.

I just took an updated garden video. Gonna upload it now and post the link when it's done.
It's in HD, so it'll take awhile.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #212
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to see my garden the way she is today.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #213
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Nice video Scott, and lookin good bro.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #214
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Great video Scott! That fungus you spoke of wiped out my tomato plants in no time flat.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #215
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Great video Scott! That fungus you spoke of wiped out my tomato plants in no time flat.
I jumped on it early and saved half of my plants. I just picked two heaping five gallon buckets tonight, and not a soul in town has tomatoes. Literally.
If I continue to take care of them, and we get a week of heat, I should be able to get at least two more batches of spaghetti sauce.
I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight, and with two big buckets of tomatoes in the kitchen, it wasn't too hard to figure out I was having tomato sammiches.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #216
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the video tour of your garden Scott. Looks like you put in alot of effort on the black matte in the garden, but I'm sure it helps in retaining moisture for the plants. The tobacco plants look great on the border areas too
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #217
BC-Axeman

Another frikken gopher struck. This time it was starting on the carrots. Harvested them, about ten pounds. Traps are set. Die, gopher, die! No mercy.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #218
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for the video tour of your garden Scott. Looks like you put in alot of effort on the black matte in the garden, but I'm sure it helps in retaining moisture for the plants. The tobacco plants look great on the border areas too
The plastic is earth fabric called Dewitt Sunbelt. It lets water through and it lets air through, but it holds weeds down, holds moisture, and heats the garden. Last for years and years and years. I've never worn a piece out yet. It's easy to roll out and pin down. Almost effortless.
In the Spring I pressure wash it and the black cooks any soil-borne disease out of the dirt.
I've been using it for about 15 years. I have been no-till gardening for that long. I do a hybrid of square foot gardening/shilala gardening.
I use lots of compost, super absorbent polymer, and common sense.
You can't beat good dirt, though.
The dirt in my yard here in town (creek bottom flood zone) is incredible compared to the dirt on the hill where I used to live.

I've always wondered what the Indians thought when they watched the crazy Europeans building their settlements (that turned into cities) on the best farmland in the world.
Then we go cut down trees and grow food on mountaintops at twice the effort in lousy soil.
There's no substitute for stupidity.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #219
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I jumped on it early and saved half of my plants. I just picked two heaping five gallon buckets tonight, and not a soul in town has tomatoes. Literally.
If I continue to take care of them, and we get a week of heat, I should be able to get at least two more batches of spaghetti sauce.
I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner tonight, and with two big buckets of tomatoes in the kitchen, it wasn't too hard to figure out I was having tomato sammiches.
My partner here at work grew some of the best tomatos last summer that I have ever had. I bet we ate 1000 tomato sammiches.
G G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #220
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Die, gopher, die! No mercy.
Got it! Dead, gopher, dead! I had mercy. It was still alive so I put it out of it's misery.

Next year I want to put down a weed block like Scott's but I worry about the gophers setting up camp under it.